Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2007, 17:02   #16
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I cannot get around to see anything....
Wiki's are a wonderful resource for putting together articles and information. The key is getting a critical mass of data so that you're actually able to use the content instead of just paging through a bunch of blank templates.

Check out activecaptain for a map-based way to get cruising information. Pan around the map and zoom in. Markers of data will start popping up. All of the data is provided by our other Captains. It's been a huge success and will start appearing on other nautical systems too. The ActiveCaptain site will continue to be free (no cost and no advertising) so you'll always be able to get to the full text of all of the data.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 17:10   #17

Wikis are about links

Well, normally one starts at the [[Main page]], or uses the search box which is on every page and types in the word or article title you're looking for. On sail wiki most people are viewing the [[Category:Jargon]], which lists all the articles which have been written so far about sailing jargon (some of which are historical, for Patrick O'Brian fans.) On the main page there's a menu off to the right to help find the word or phrase you're looking for more quickly. There's been quite a bit of traffic through the [[World ocean passages]] page, which links to the articles so far written describing traditional, commercial sailing routes to get around the world. And there are a couple hundred other articles about various topics lying about; most of them can be found through following links from other articles or you can search through the [[list of all pages]].

Whenever a word or phrase is surrounded by [[ ]] when editing an article (and you can see the big edit button at the top of nearly every page, meaning anyone can edit the content), it becomes a link to an article titled with that word or phrase. You can also link to other websites, by using [http://some.domain/url text to be linked]. You can see this in action in the [[Sandbox]], a place to practice editing.

The main thing to keep in mind is you can experiment and try things on a wiki, because you can't hurt it. If you make a mistake, it can be very quickly and easily reverted.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 13:58   #18

Boat: Hunter 320 - Knot a Chance
Thanks for the Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgine View Post
I'm looking through a few of my cruising guides, and a website, which are primarily dedicated to telling cruisers about marinas (at least, it seems to me a whole lot more of the publishing real estate is given over to marinas and commercial services than is given over to the little gunkholes, where to anchor free, or things-to-do-which-don't-cost-money.)

Anyway, none of them talk about the same information. This one gives me the telephone number and the information that ice can be found here. That one says they monitor channel 68 and only have transient moorage. The third one says there's a liquor store and a restaurant within walking distance.

What information is really important about a marina?

Here's my list of things I want to know:
  • Contact
    • Phone
    • Radio (VHF and other)
    • Mailing address
    • E-mail/website
  • Map
    • A quick hand-sketch would be just dandy.
  • Services
    • Transient or permanent moorage
    • Fuel: Including type (gasoline, pre-mix, diesel at the least)
    • Haul-out (either at the marina or nearby)
    • Repair (either at the marina or nearby)
    • Chandlery and Grocery (either at the marina or nearby)
    • Restaurant/Café/Pub
    • Showers/bathrooms/laundry
  • Attractions
    • Honestly!
    • Focus on what to do for free, like hikes, views, etc. If not free, cheap.
  • Commentary
    • If the showers are gross and never cleaned, I'd like to know. Same with the other things I'm going to use every day I'm at the marina. But also the opposite; for example, the bathrooms at the Lund city docks (Lund, BC, Canada) are among the nicest I've ever seen at a public marina, and fitted out like at home, not unknown to have a glass with wildflowers in it.
    • Ditto for comments about the moorage; is it good in all weather? are the docks wide enough to set up chairs and a barbecue? Will it usually end up rafted out 3 deep during the season, or is it finger piers? Exposed to waves? Is the second dock from the wall partially submerged/the "party dock"/prone to electrical outages/&c.?
The first mate just chimed in that distance to stores/town/attractions should be included, so you're prepared for a hike or whatever. (Example: John Wayne Marina at Sequim, WA, United States is *not* near the town; take the bus which stops regularly. There's taxi service too; usually business card/number tacked to the bulletin board by the laundry.)
I am developing a sailing/marina resource site and have already included most of the items you listed. Glad to know I'm headed in the right direction. I will definitely make some additions based on your wish list.

I would appreciate any feedback on my site, "MyNextMarina.com"
Thanks,
Pam
diverpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 17:43   #19

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diverpam View Post
I am developing a sailing/marina resource site and have already included most of the items you listed. Glad to know I'm headed in the right direction. I will definitely make some additions based on your wish list.

I would appreciate any feedback on my site, "MyNextMarina.com"
Thanks,
Pam
Great site, thanks.
But this might complicate things if I was a little low in the kitty.

The more high quality marina reviews your write, the more money you can make. Sign up today to become a reviewer.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote