Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2006, 12:46   #1
cruiser

Need Help Finding A Winter Slip in NYC area..

Well, it looks like we are going to be able to keep our boat after all! YAY!!

Now that we are keeping her, we have to work hard all winter to pay for her. Does anyone know of a marina in the NYC area (NY, NJ, Long Island) that has space for in-water winter storage this year? We need:

*Electricity
*Water
*A Spot For Our Car

I tried DefJef's suggestion, but the boat club was full this year. Any other suggestions from anyone?

PS: Anyone who has a private dock, please feel free to contact. We have a couple thousand dollars for you!

Sean
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 13:41   #2

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
I am so glad to hear that you don't have to get rid of the boat!!! Especially after all the heart ache, blood sweat and tears you put into it!!!! Way to GO!

2divers
Old 07-08-2006, 14:01   #3

Sorry to hear that WHYS was booked... I would make a personal visit and give it another try. How about the 79th Street Boat basin... If and when we live aboard we were thinking of that place... It may be a bit rolly... but it would be convenient. Don't know their rates or the parking.

I lived in Norwalk on board one winter about 12 yrs ago. Drive over there.. they have several marinas.

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 18:24   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sean, I'd suggest Gateway Marina 718-252-8761 in Brooklyn by Floyd Bennett field. They have parking and are a five-minute bus ride from the end of one of the subway lines that runs up into Manhattan, right off the Belt Parkway. Facilities will be closed in the winter...but you're right off the busy Brooklyn streets.

Or the World's Fair Marina up in Flushing, they do have one deeper dock that might work for you, and they are open in the winter but AFAIK no official liveboards.

Other than that...either the schlep from City Island or try one of the marinas on the NJ side, one PATH train stop from Manhattan. (Port Liberte, Newport, Liberty State Park.)

Then again...the USS Intrepid is being sent out for repairs very shortly, they'll be a large berth available in Manhattan.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nyc