Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2018, 09:24   #1

Boat: Passport, 41
Marina options in Charleston

Looking for a safe spot to leave my boat for 3-4 weeks in or around the Charleston area. Any local knowledge would be much appreciated!

41' monohull

Ross
RossH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 11:08   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Marina options in Charleston

We were able to stay in Ashley Marina for a few months over this last winter. The monthly rate was more favorable than daily transient rates.

The City Marina, just next door in Charlesto,n would have maybe been viable, but they were full at the time...

Our month-long stay was less expensive at Myrtle Beach, though...

-Chris
Old 26-07-2018, 12:07   #3

Thanks for the feedback, I will call them both.

Rossh
Old 26-07-2018, 12:42   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Don't know what boat you have but check your stick height before going to Ashley marina.
Old 26-07-2018, 13:22   #5

Boat: Norseman 447cc

Assuming your mast is not taller than 65', check out St. John's Yacht Harbor, it's about a 10 minute drive from downtown Charleston, depending on traffic. Just make sure you time your tides right to get through Elliot Cut.
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 13:38   #6

Boat: Passport 40

St Johns. Thats the marina you want. It's far less expensive than the rest, the ambience is great, it has a nice pool. No need to be in the other marinas.

Oh, and the best restaurant in Charleston is very close by; The Wild Olive.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 14:33   #7

Thanks for the St Johns suggestions, it looks perfect. We will be sure to visit The Wild Olive!

Ross
Old 26-07-2018, 14:35   #8

Boat: Norseman 447cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossH View Post
Thanks for the St Johns suggestions, it looks perfect. We will be sure to visit The Wild Olive!

Ross
Check out the Fat Hen too, another gem not too far from there and well outside of the crowds of downtown.
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 08:42   #9

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho View Post
St Johns. Thats the marina you want. It's far less expensive than the rest, the ambience is great, it has a nice pool. No need to be in the other marinas.

Oh, and the best restaurant in Charleston is very close by; The Wild Olive.
Agree on St John's. Very good facilities, less expensive, close to the city.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 08:48   #10

Tons of current there, watch out for that.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 09:00   #11

Boat: 35' Sport Cruiser

St John's is a nice facility, as it is newer than most of your other options. Restaurant and pool on site are a convenience as well. However, be aware that you're dealing with strong river currents and tidal changes which can make docking tricky. This is compounded by the narrow slips.

Closer to Charleston are both Ashley Marina and City Marina, which are downstream of the drawbridge on the Ashley River so mast height is generous coming under the connector bridge. Bristol Marina is upstream of them on the other side of the drawbridge and is also a nicer, newer facility but would require waiting on the bridge opening. Across the river on the opposite bank is Ripley Light Marina, which is smaller but has the advantage of being located in a shallow cove. This means no currents and much less bottom buildup during your stay, saving money on bottom cleaning.

One advantage of these marinas is their proximity to restaurants, the peninsula, and also the minor league baseball stadium (walking distance). City Marina even has a shuttle service to the peninsula, very welcome as it's further than you might want to walk in the hotter months. I highly recommend taking in a baseball game while in town. The views are incredible and you can watch the sun set over the water between innings. Noise can be a factor, though, with two busy bridges overhead.

Charleston harbor Marina is located on the My Pleasant side of the harbor opposite the peninsula, but there is a water shuttle running back and forth all day. Also, my Pleasant has many restaurants and other features of its own, such as shopping, theaters, grocery stores. You should also consider the marinas behind Isle of Palms, protected water and several restaurants on both Isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island.

All have fuel available, but if you plan on spending time aboard while you're there then for location I would highly recommend the marinas closer to Charleston, as it's quite a distance from St John's to any of the local attractions or restaurants.

Charleston has been a second home to us for the last 25 years, and we have been keeping our boat there on the folly river for nearly 10 years now. If you would like some local knowledge please feel free to pm me. I can provide some recommendations on dining, attractions, as well as boat repairs if they become necessary. Enjoy your stay, it's a beautiful and fascinating city with great history to explore.
mchlsutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 10:34   #12

Boat: Cataline 36 MKII

I highly recommend the Isle of Palms Marina . It's a small Marina on a very upscale Barrier Island. Lived there two years. Never a problem.
15 min to downtown Charleston.
DennisRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 10:36   #13

If you decide on the Charleston City Marina, which I would not recommend, do NOT let them put you on the outside of the Mega Dock. It is half a mile from anywhere and you will get you butt rocked off by every center console and sport fisherman that goes roaring by. It is supposed to be a No Wake Zone, I think, but it is totally ignored. I spent 3 miserable days there before moving to Ashley.
Gypsyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 11:09   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Don't know what boat you have but check your stick height before going to Ashley marina.
I believe the Ashley is before the ancient bridge.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 11:19   #15

Boat: Lagoon 420 42 feet

charleston city marina!!!! its clean, well managed, and the staff is awesome. they have golf carts to take you to and from the boat and there is a fabulous local restaurant at the edge of the property. cannot recommend it highly enough
johnnyH is offline   Reply With Quote