Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2016, 07:37   #1

Boat: 1968 Hinterhoel Redwing
Marina Charleston SC

I am looking for recommendations for a good read inexpensive marina in the Charleston, SC area to splash my boat, step the mast, stay for a few days to provision for parts and food before heading south. Anyone know of such a place?
Old 22-12-2016, 21:39   #2

Boat: Hobie Cat
Re: Marina charleston sc

Captain Will Miller at Charleston Sailing School may have some recommendations. His fleet is docked at Charleston
City Marina. I took ASA 114 with him awhile back. Great guy with a lot of local knowledge.

Tom

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
twalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 22:30   #3

Boat: 50 Bene

Inexpensive and Charleston really don't belong in the same sentence. We kept our boat at the Charleston Harbor Resort for a year. Nice place convenient but pricey. How tall is your mast? If you can get under the Ashley river bridge there are some options. Dolphin cove comes to mind. If you need to step the mast at a yard City Boatyard will probably let you stay at their docks for a few days after stepping. Cooper River Marina may be what your looking for again not sure on the prices. City Marina is super convenient but again pricey. You can anchor just off the marina and park your dink for $5 bucks a day. Just beware that if the current and wind are at odds you will sail on the anchor so give yourself plenty of swing room. Hope this helps!

Will
Old 25-12-2016, 10:01   #4

Thank you Will and Tom. We are actually spending Christmas in the sling at city boatyard. Great staff that bent over backwards to get us in the water before the holidays. Unfortunately I had a leak from a thruhull that I had bedded with 5200. That is rebedded with life caulk, but I am a little leary of the other thruhull I had bedded at the same time. This was before I learned 5200 does not adhere to bronze!

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-12-2016, 11:15   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper4730 View Post
Inexpensive and Charleston really don't belong in the same sentence. We kept our boat at the Charleston Harbor Resort for a year. Nice place convenient but pricey. How tall is your mast? If you can get under the Ashley river bridge there are some options. Dolphin cove comes to mind. If you need to step the mast at a yard City Boatyard will probably let you stay at their docks for a few days after stepping. Cooper River Marina may be what your looking for again not sure on the prices. City Marina is super convenient but again pricey. You can anchor just off the marina and park your dink for $5 bucks a day. Just beware that if the current and wind are at odds you will sail on the anchor so give yourself plenty of swing room. Hope this helps!

Will
However, one caveat about the anchorage near the marina: the holding is poor and the current there is quite strong. Anchor at your own risk.
Old 25-12-2016, 11:26   #6

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Marina Charleston SC

Check out Ross Marine on the Stono to splash and step. Down river from there is St. John's Yacht Harbor that has nice facilities once you're in the water although I don't recall their prices.

Basically, look for marinas along the Stono and the Ashley. There's a canal/cut from the Stono to the south channel below Charleston.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 16:42   #7

Boat: Concordia Yawl 39'

Your two choices for less expensive are Marine Propulsion Inc. which is a bit South of Charleston and Detyens. Detyens is up the Cooper River. I've been to MPI several times and they are reasonable. I wasn't charged anything for hanging out at their dock before and after the splashing and they were very understanding about the special care my wooden boat required. I'm going to try Detyens this year because it is closer to my marina.
chuckt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 16:52   #8

I used Charleston city boatyard and the staff was great. Was able to hang out till we were "ready" all though we weren't, but didn't know it. I am now up the creek from mpi. Atbohicket. Was debating going to mpi to fix some things, but didn't have Internet so didn't see the last post!

Old 06-01-2017, 17:17   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
I used Charleston city boatyard and the staff was great. Was able to hang out till we were "ready" all though we weren't, but didn't know it. I am now up the creek from mpi. Atbohicket. Was debating going to mpi to fix some things, but didn't have Internet so didn't see the last post!

Glad you guys made it safely.

We are planning to leave city boatyard on Monday.

We will catchup to you guys soon and have a few drinks.
2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
epiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 17:49   #10

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Check out Ross Marine on the Stono to splash and step. Down river from there is St. John's Yacht Harbor that has nice facilities once you're in the water although I don't recall their prices..
You would have to climb a ladder to see their (Ross Marine) prices.

The OP talks about a marina but then mentions having work done. Most of the "marinas" in Charleston don't work on boats.

As usual, Active Captain will provide the information the OP is looking for.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote