Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2018, 11:34   #16

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Marina options in Charleston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I believe the Ashley is before the ancient bridge.
I understand the Calhoun St. fixed bridge has a clearance of 55 feet. That's 10 feet less than the AICW "standard". Coming from the ICW or ocean you have to go under this bridge to get to Ashley Marina. I have not been to Charleston for a few years, have they moved the Marina or got rid of the bridge?

I note that mchlsutton in post #11 says that mast height is "generous", it might be for a sportfish but for a 41 foot sailboat I would be a bit more circumspect. Powerboat folks don't have to worry as much about bridges as sailboat guys.
Old 27-07-2018, 12:36   #17

Located on St. John's Island you will find Bohicket Marina, close to ICW and the Atlantic Ocean. Very nice area where I have been vacationing for the past 30 years (without boat). Depending on season, the rate could be up to half of City Marina rates. https://bohicket.com/rates-amenities/

Half a mile from Bohicket Marina is Freshfields Village Kiawah Shopping Center | Boutique Shopping | Freshfields Village Kiawah, SC which is a plus if you plan to stay onboard your boat.
cruising_ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 16:09   #18

City marina is great!
sailinggirlsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 18:11   #19

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Cooper River marina is good. A bit out of the way in North Chaz, but they have a courtesy shuttle, and are probably the least pricey on the monthly rate.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 09:12   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I understand the Calhoun St. fixed bridge has a clearance of 55 feet. That's 10 feet less than the AICW "standard". Coming from the ICW or ocean you have to go under this bridge to get to Ashley Marina. I have not been to Charleston for a few years, have they moved the Marina or got rid of the bridge?

I note that mchlsutton in post #11 says that mast height is "generous", it might be for a sportfish but for a 41 foot sailboat I would be a bit more circumspect. Powerboat folks don't have to worry as much about bridges as sailboat guys.
You are right, one has to go under the James Island bridge to get to the Ashley Marina. It maybe 55' of air clearance. I was referring to the old opening or not. bridges. The Ashley is prior to them.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 14:21   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchlsutton View Post
St John's is a nice facility, as it is newer than most of your other options. Restaurant and pool on site are a convenience as well. However, be aware that you're dealing with strong river currents and tidal changes which can make docking tricky. This is compounded by the narrow slips.

Closer to Charleston are both Ashley Marina and City Marina, which are downstream of the drawbridge on the Ashley River so mast height is generous coming under the connector bridge. Bristol Marina is upstream of them on the other side of the drawbridge and is also a nicer, newer facility but would require waiting on the bridge opening. Across the river on the opposite bank is Ripley Light Marina, which is smaller but has the advantage of being located in a shallow cove. This means no currents and much less bottom buildup during your stay, saving money on bottom cleaning.

One advantage of these marinas is their proximity to restaurants, the peninsula, and also the minor league baseball stadium (walking distance). City Marina even has a shuttle service to the peninsula, very welcome as it's further than you might want to walk in the hotter months. I highly recommend taking in a baseball game while in town. The views are incredible and you can watch the sun set over the water between innings. Noise can be a factor, though, with two busy bridges overhead.

Charleston harbor Marina is located on the My Pleasant side of the harbor opposite the peninsula, but there is a water shuttle running back and forth all day. Also, my Pleasant has many restaurants and other features of its own, such as shopping, theaters, grocery stores. You should also consider the marinas behind Isle of Palms, protected water and several restaurants on both Isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island.

All have fuel available, but if you plan on spending time aboard while you're there then for location I would highly recommend the marinas closer to Charleston, as it's quite a distance from St John's to any of the local attractions or restaurants.

Charleston has been a second home to us for the last 25 years, and we have been keeping our boat there on the folly river for nearly 10 years now. If you would like some local knowledge please feel free to pm me. I can provide some recommendations on dining, attractions, as well as boat repairs if they become necessary. Enjoy your stay, it's a beautiful and fascinating city with great history to explore.
Where on th Folly river have you docked?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote