Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2006, 11:24   #1

Boat: Got none but want one.
What Papers Are Needed When Sailing from Country to Country?

I have always wondered what paper work was required if sailing from one country to another. If making multiple ports of call in a row, say 4 or 5 in a month, how do you keep up with the paperwork? I know its an amature question but if anyone can tell me what visas, passports, etc are needed i would appreciate it. Thx
Cavecreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:10   #2

I wouldn't worry about vias too much. Unless you have plans to go to work in the countries, you plan to visit. Even then, you have to get visas through the embassies here in the US ahead of time!!

Passports and a photo ID, such as a drivers license or just a plain ID along with your passport are acceptable paperwork for each person.

ALSO... you'll want to make sure that your boat has some sort of documentation, stating that you or you & your wife. (I'm assuming you're married?) That you are the owners of the sailboat you sailed into a (certain) foreign country. Some countries, don't know which ones? Could confiscate your boat if you do not have proper documentation stating your the owners of the boat.

IMHO I would check with the USCG about documenting your boat in the future. Prior before leaving the US or whatever country that you call home. Cause it can save you a headache in the long run. Also check with any embassies' of the countries that you plan to visit, for visas. They have the paperwork there in their offices.

Good luck!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 14:16   #3

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Papers required

The ones with the X Presidents or Prime ministers picture on them.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 17:04   #4
cruiser

Talking Re: Papers required

Quote:
BC Mike C once whispered in the wind:
The ones with the X Presidents or Prime ministers picture on them.
Michael

Ha ha ha!!! Isn't that the truth?!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 17:08   #5

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:05   #6

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Back to the original question:

For immigration: your passport (in which case no other ID will be requested nor needed)
Also for immigration: a visa, if needed; e.g. don't arrive in Brazil, if American, without a visa; visas may be applied for in 3rd country embassies & consulates; you don't need to return to the USA to get them (assuming you are American)
For customs: your ship's registration (e.g. U.S. Document); having a complete 2-sided copy available is often helpful for the official
For harbormaster or port authority: in some countries, you are required to carry a cruising itinerary which you make a stab at when first clearing into the country; this is then subsequently revisited at each port at which you arrive, as some countries require port-to-port check-in of some kind; variations of this exist e.g. in Greece, Mexico, Portugal to my knowledge
For any tax authority (Customs or other): previous clearance documents which prove you have not been inside the current jurisdiction long enough to be liable for tax; examples are Australia, all of the EU countries and, WRT the importation requirement, Mexico
For the marina/harbormaster/local port authority: proof of liability insurance (even if you don't have hull coverage), which is sometimes expected for long periods of berthing (e.g when wintering over somewhere)

I'm sure I've missed a few. The paperwork varies to some degree based on where you are cruising.

Jack
Old 09-03-2006, 05:21   #7

Boat: Got none but want one.
Is the paper work change any if the person is Canadian... as I am? I know quite a few places favor Canadians... 1000 $ off flights to NZ or Australia and my friend had free beer when he went to spain for example. Its a shot in the dark but does that make a difference?
Cavecreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 07:11   #8

Boat: Kiwi Yachts 65'
Euro/Jack, could you elaborate on the tax/customs topic in Australia. I assume your referring to vessels of foreign registration deemed ‘in transit’ for a long durations? Do you know of the duration the vessel can stay before tax would apply? etc
Ocean2Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:38   #9

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
Will being Canadian make a difference? Will depend on the country and the relationship at the time. Eg Pip, a kiwi, does not need to pay for a visa for Turkey. Sarah, a Brit, does. It may also make a difference to your permitted duration of stay. You would need to check this at the time of travel.

It will make, in Europe at least, little difference to the boat related documentation such as insurance, registration papers etc.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:52   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Ships Registration Papers
Passports and any necessary visas.

Crew lists are aften asked for but you can write them out, usually. Most people have an abundant supply of them.

Its always good to have a number of Passport photos.

We loved our computer printer so we caould just print them off but it went bung!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:17   #11

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Some countries require you to have a Yellow Fever vaccination, if you are travelling around or coming from a country where the disease is prevalent.

Paige
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:29   #12

Boat: a sailing boat
- boat registration document (most countries),
- passports (most countries),
- insurance (many countries),
- vaccination papers (some countries),
- visas (few countries),
- proof of funds (few countries).

As a rule - registration papers and passports are necessary.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:44   #13

the minimum: Passport, Boat ownership papers. Proof that you officially exited the previous stop. Never had anyone ask for any insurance info, but it's been 8 years....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:49   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Looks like everyone has covered all the basics.

Just thought I'd relate our most pleasant check in procedure (at Martinique): report to the local marine store. Walk up to an unattended computer, type in your information (boat info, passport number, expected next port). Shop around the store a bit for boat parts. When you're ready, walk up the cashier, pay the 5 euro fee, and you have arrived!
Old 03-10-2009, 16:13   #15

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
the minimum: Passport, Boat ownership papers. Proof that you officially exited the previous stop. Never had anyone ask for any insurance info, but it's been 8 years....
Well, in the EU I was always asked of the insurance first. In Spain 2007/2008 I was asked for my insurance proof ONLY... (EU flagged ship)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote