Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2014, 17:29   #61

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

OK, the sewage issue is not really that important. Nobody here actually believes we should be pumping overboard.

However, I did notice that the question of pumpouts was left out of the newest questionnaire. I have to wonder why? At issue was that cities could request that you provide them a receipt for every week verifying that you had received a pump out. I assume that if you could not then you would be fined. Let's assume pump outs cost $5. If you have to pump out weekly then that's $260 a year, or approximate 1/100 of the total yearly income for the average retiree (its about $33K a year now). Again, these proposals disproportionately target a minority population.

My issue with the pump outs is because of the same travel schedule I mentioned before. Sure, my wife is onboard during the time I am away but that means we don't have to pump out every week. In fact, we can usually go about 10-12 days between pump outs when two of us are on board. I think I went for 3 or maybe 3.5 weeks once when I was onboard by myself.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 17:36   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
That is not new. It's been that way. BTW, it's 90 consecutive days and 180 days total for the calendar year.

Ralph
I don't know about this 180 days. I do have an email I rcently got from the FWC local "commander" telling me he considers this 90 days to reset anytime the vessel goes 3 miles offshore. Great for the local Delaware registerd boats, but the 180 days would eventually get you. Except no one checks......
Old 23-11-2014, 17:42   #63
Marine Service Provider

Another quick note on the sewage. It's the thing the land dwellers always try to nail the boater with in the end. For 20 years anchoring has been debated in FL probably longer. It is all about the views, but always comes down to the issue of **** as you can get plenty of non waterfront owners worried about a few boaters stray poop.

As another aside, when is the last time any of those boat anchored south of the 312 bridge pump out?
Old 23-11-2014, 20:04   #64

Whatever the rules are for boats and boaters in Florida at any particular time, there is little doubt as to which way things are heading there. The big money that buys waterfront property in Florida, has got it into their minds that they bought the navigable waters adjoining it. And, no Florida politician needing campaign money is going to tell them they are wrong.
Old 24-11-2014, 02:58   #65

Boat: Scout 30

I agree that complaints by influential waterfront property owners are, in part, what's driving this. Marco Island is a good example. However, I own waterfront property in Florida & I can tell you not all waterfront owners are rich & there are plenty of waterfront property owners in Florida are sailors that are against restricting anchoring. But like anyone who cruises in Florida waters we need to make ourselves heard. Please, everyone, log into the survey & make your voice heard. Being able to anchor out in Florida will always be a battle & we all need to help defend our rights. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/AnchoringSurvey
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 03:54   #66

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

It is easier and makes better news going after small point sources of pollution. Go after their local sewage district; no way you going to tell the people they can't crap today. Local muni's have for decades got away with vast amounts of pollution. BTW, my water usage bill is dwarfed by the sewage bill, the EPA consent decree tax, etc. Worse, in FL where I cave dive, the caves are polluted to the point I won't dive some of them - this do to big agra and bad septic systems. BTW, do most people realize that a lot of the bottled water they buy comes directly, untreated but filtered from these same water sources?

Boats in the harbor or at the dock make easy targets for LEO's, politicians and the news media. It gives the public the sense that something is being done. A magicians slate of hand.
Old 24-11-2014, 04:16   #67

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

I still believe that some level of anchoring restriction is necessary if we're to avoid a major landlubber/cruiser conflict in the future. After all, at the rate they're developing waterfront properties in Florida, it won't be long before property owners outnumber cruisers 10 to 1. Who do you think will be demanding their "rights" then?

Don't forget that waterfront property owners big and small do pay a hefty premium in property taxes for the privilege of being there, and if anything talks in this country, it's money.

As a boat owner, I believe that the laws on the books are more than adequate at this point. As a (waterfront) home owner, I wish somebody would actually enforce them, but they don't.

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 04:22   #68
Marine Service Provider

I was personally in touch with the head honcho of FWC NE Florida recently. I identified 3 specific problem boats that were breaking current law. NOT pilot program rules.

He basically told me they would maybe get around to looking into it. That's exactly the problem. Enforcing rules no doubt leads to lots of paperwork and extra work. Now, pass some sweeping new laws and maybe they can get some more boats and bigger guns out of the deal.
Old 24-11-2014, 04:52   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I don't know about this 180 days. I do have an email I rcently got from the FWC local "commander" telling me he considers this 90 days to reset anytime the vessel goes 3 miles offshore. Great for the local Delaware registerd boats, but the 180 days would eventually get you. Except no one checks......

You know that is exactly what I have been wondering all along, how does anyone know or how can they prove how long I've been anchored in a particular spot?

I think the majority of the problem is "stored" boats, many I assume simply abandoned, but they haven't realized that. However it will impact cruisers, even if they are not the target.
I took the survey last night, but the thing that struck me was every picture that was shown was of a small sailboat, nothing larger, newer nor a single powerboat.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 05:05   #70
Marine Service Provider

I read in southwinds last year, they were really cracking down on the 90 days in the keys last year. I believe they assumed you were an overstayer and required you to prove otherwise. It seems the southern counties have the fwc guys doing their jobs.
I doubt they believe in the 3 mile reset either. I really don't think this is in the state statute. My guess it has to be another state, country or outside the US economic zone which is what 200 miles?
Old 24-11-2014, 06:06   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I was personally in touch with the head honcho of FWC NE Florida recently. I identified 3 specific problem boats that were breaking current law. NOT pilot program rules.

He basically told me they would maybe get around to looking into it. That's exactly the problem. Enforcing rules no doubt leads to lots of paperwork and extra work. Now, pass some sweeping new laws and maybe they can get some more boats and bigger guns out of the deal.
Well, that illuminates the problem that it is not the FWC driving this bus. It is wealthy land owners, condo commandos, real estate brokers, and the politicians they give campaign money to.

I was in law enforcement for many years (some of it in south Florida). Cops don't make laws, they just enforce the ones that politicians make, usually with no regard for the input that officers on the ground (or water in this case) give to them. That's why, while it felt good to fill out that survey, I don't have a lot of faith than anyone making the decision will actually look at it.

But, the idea that money is the weapon of choice in this fight is dead on. This legislation, like most legislation, is for sale to the highest bidder, and whoever ponies up the most money is going to get what they want. And, that's probably not going to be boaters.
Old 24-11-2014, 15:28   #72

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

I wish you guys would stop labeling all who own waterfront property in Florida as "wealthy landowners". South Florida aside, many of them bought their "swampland in Florida" dirt cheap back when there were no more Brooklyn Bridges to be had, and they've worked hard for their waterfront dream, but in many cases, what was originally billed as a waterfront haven of peace turned into an aquatic superhighway. "No Wake Zones"? What "No Wake Zones"? I didn't see no "No Wake Zones"...

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 16:04   #73

Boat: Scout 30

I don't think anyone said all waterfront owners in Florida are wealthy. Where I live, north of Tarpon Springs, you can easily get into a small canalfront home with Gulf access for under $150,000. You just need to keep your draft under 4 ft.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 16:21   #74
Marine Service Provider

I bought my waterfront canal lot in the X flood zone for 84K 18 months ago w/ a 1975 doublewide!
Old 24-11-2014, 16:37   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
I still believe that some level of anchoring restriction is necessary if we're to avoid a major landlubber/cruiser conflict in the future. After all, at the rate they're developing waterfront properties in Florida, it won't be long before property owners outnumber cruisers 10 to 1. Who do you think will be demanding their "rights" then?

Don't forget that waterfront property owners big and small do pay a hefty premium in property taxes for the privilege of being there, and if anything talks in this country, it's money.

As a boat owner, I believe that the laws on the books are more than adequate at this point. As a (waterfront) home owner, I wish somebody would actually enforce them, but they don't.

Jacques
I don't know that anyone has ever won a battle or war by appeasement. Lord Chamberlain certainly didn't. But, you never know. Maybe this time, it would be different.

Tags
anchor, anchoring, current