Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2017, 14:09   #1

Vicroads ID number display

For the Victorians here, how have you displayed your Vicroads ID number on your boat. When I look around the marina's and boat yards, whilst motorboats seem to follow the rules, I've noticed a lot of yachts do not display the number correctly or not at all (that I noticed)

Is it perhaps because the yachts are registered under their club assigned sail number?

Quote:
The vessel identification number must be displayed on each side of the hull of the vessel, forward of the beam, so that the highest part of each digit starts at a point no more than 75 millimetres (25 millimetres for personal watercraft) below the gunwale, and:

- no less than 150 millimetres high (100mm for personal watercraft) in proportionate breadth and
- coloured in contrast to the surface on which they are displayed.
Old 09-01-2017, 23:41   #2

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Vicroads ID number display

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
For the Victorians here, how have you displayed your Vicroads ID number on your boat. When I look around the marina's and boat yards, whilst motorboats seem to follow the rules, I've noticed a lot of yachts do not display the number correctly or not at all (that I noticed)

Is it perhaps because the yachts are registered under their club assigned sail number?
I don't know about Victoria but I think some States have different rules for power and sail boats. Usually it's bigger characters on either side for power boats and sail boats are allowed to display smaller characters for a single identifying number on the stern with the rego sticker nearby (For those States which still issue them).
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 00:07   #3

Boat: Cavalier 975 32'
Re: Vicroads ID number display

I'd be surprised if sailing vessels can't display smaller numerals and lettets on the stern only, as they can in QLD.
GlennGee is offline   Reply With Quote