Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2015, 10:00   #1

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
Re: USCG documentation vs. state registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Perhaps the key phrase is in the last sentence.

"If your vessel requires registration, it is illegal to operate it or allow others to operate your vessel unless it is registered and numbered as described above."

Regardless, by USCG regulations, documented boats cannot show state registration numbers. From this link. USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Fee Page

" all documented vessels must comply with the laws of the state in which they are operated. The vessel's document must be shown to state law enforcement personnel upon their demand. States may require documented vessels to be registered (but not numbered) and to display state decals showing that they have complied with state requirements."
I think what's confusing me is the "..documented boats cannot show state registration numbers." According to the CG doc office this is not accurate. The key to this statement, "States may require documented vessels to be registered (but not numbered)..." is the word "may." If the state doesn't require numbering, then that's it, but if the state requires a decal and numbers then it's required and the law has been followed.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 10:06   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
I think what's confusing me is the "..documented boats cannot show state registration numbers." According to the CG doc office this is not accurate. The key to this statement, "States may require documented vessels to be registered (but not numbered)..." is the word "may." If the state doesn't require numbering, then that's it, but if the state requires a decal and numbers then it's required and the law has been followed.
States cannot require a documented boat to display registration numbers. States can require a documented vessel to display the registration decal (the decal that is usually placed next to the numbers and shows that the registration is current). If you walk around the marinas in these states (FL is one of them) you'll see many boats with numbers and decals, and some boats with just the registration decal - those are the documented vessels.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 22:41   #3
ASD

Boat: Camargue Yacht Fisher 48ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
States cannot require a documented boat to display registration numbers. States can require a documented vessel to display the registration decal (the decal that is usually placed next to the numbers and shows that the registration is current). If you walk around the marinas in these states (FL is one of them) you'll see many boats with numbers and decals, and some boats with just the registration decal - those are the documented vessels.
Alaska is one of those states too. No numbers or decal. In fact if you are documented, no state registration required. Now where did I put that USCG documentation renewal........
ASD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 23:19   #4

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

In WA my tender has numbers and a decal but my documented vessel has no numbers; just a state registration decal with an annual expiration date. Commercial fishing boats have permit numbers.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 12:12   #5

Quote:
I think what's confusing me...
One thing to remember in all of this, which might help clear up the confusion, is that federal law supersedes state law whenever they are in conflict. So the state of Maryland can pass any law that they like, but if it is in direct conflict with a federal law then the state law automatically becomes null and void.

In this case, if the Maryland law requires you to have numbers even on a documented boat (and it's not clear to me that it does), and the federal law says that no state can require numbers on a documented boat (which it definitely does), then the federal law wins and you can tell Maryland to go get stuffed.

Now, given that this has been the way of things for quite some time, and given that there is a lot of coast line in Maryland, and therefore probably a lot of documented boats, my guess is that Maryland authorities understand perfectly well that they cannot require numbers on a documented boat. Hence, I doubt that it would ever be any kind of an issue. My guess is that, just like in Florida, if you walk the docks you will see plenty of boats with a state sticker, but no state numbers, indicating that they are federally documented.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 13:27   #6

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
I might be misunderstanding the sentence above, but this is from Maryland DNR: "Decals must be affixed on each side of the vessel within three inches of the vessel number and may be placed in front of, behind, above, or below the number.If your vessel requires registration, it is illegal to operate it or allow others to operate your vessel unless it is registered and numbered as described above"
Quote:

In the MD instructions, look for the for the "Application for a Documented Use Decal." I only have my follow-up version of that one handy just now, and FWIW it's the "Application for Renewal of Documented Use Decal." MD DNR form B401. The renewal fee is $10, and the sticker is good for 2 years.

Anyway, those instructions will detail use of State registration numbers. The short version: You don't have to display them (if documented and displaying the Documented Use Decal).

I don't know if that means you MAY NOT display State registration numbers, nor if the USCG prohibits said display.

-Chris

Tags
documentation, men, registration