Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2016, 08:59   #46

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas
Re: trying to get to alaska

Hmm. Sorry Phil, none of this is true as I know it. I have brought more than two long guns through Canada, and no you cannot legally ship handguns to yourself in Alaska. They have to be sent to a registered firearms seller. If you have felony convictions you may have a really hard time getting into Canada and even a DWI will get you refused.

Just because you've sent guns through the mail to yourself only means you got away with breaking the law, not good advice. If you have sent yourself a kilo of cocaine and lucked out, why would you broadcast that it is completely fine? Similar perspective if a little extreme, but you get the point.

All this stuff is something you can google and get solid results on, not silly misinformation in public forums.

Oh yeah, maybe it seems like Alaska doesn't care about convicted felons, but they do. If you have an outstanding warrant you'll get busted here. It happens every day and gets tons of press because things seem to escalate. As for having a felony conviction, it's no different than any other state...
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 10:50   #47

Boat: 34 californian
Re: Trying To Get To Alaska

Hey all! Its certainly been a while since we all discussed the issues I faced a year or so ago..I am glad to report that all went well, we just took our time, didnt fret, and kept a low profile. Had to stop for fuel, but went into a smaller port, and didnt have any problems. Regardless, when we travel that route again, i will be making sure we do have our ducks in a row, cuz its certainly a possibility of running into problems.
thank you all for your advice....
yvonne13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 14:29   #48

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Thanks for the correction, Seahag.
My information came from a Canadian Customs and Immigration Officer explaining to a sailor standing in front of us awaiting clearance into Canada on his way to Alaska.
Obviously, he was BS’ing this sailor... for what reason, I’m uncertain!
Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 17:21   #49

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonne13 View Post
Hey all! Its certainly been a while since we all discussed the issues I faced a year or so ago..I am glad to report that all went well, we just took our time, didnt fret, and kept a low profile. Had to stop for fuel, but went into a smaller port, and didnt have any problems. Regardless, when we travel that route again, i will be making sure we do have our ducks in a row, cuz its certainly a possibility of running into problems.
thank you all for your advice....
Thanks for closing the loop on this. I for one appreciate it when I see feedback from the OP on what finally happened.
Old 18-07-2018, 10:24   #50

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Thanks for the correction, Seahag.
My information came from a Canadian Customs and Immigration Officer explaining to a sailor standing in front of us awaiting clearance into Canada on his way to Alaska.
Obviously, he was BS’ing this sailor... for what reason, I’m uncertain!
Phil

Cool, interesting that happened although I've seen Canadian customs officers who gave us a really hard time and others an easy one, and vice versa too.
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska