Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 14:13   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Tipping Delivery Crew

in the past when iv'e delivered yachts with un paid crew,after a good dinner on the owner, i mention that if he/she feels like giving a tip, to give it to the crew,i dont expect a tip as iv'e all ready been paid.

this goes a long way in keeping the good will going amongst the many inexperianced delivery crew members who are willing to donate their time and energy to gain experiance to become competent skippers.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 14:21   #17

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Of course, we tipped the guides because they oared the boats, shared local knowledge, prepared the meals, and guided us on day hikes.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 17:14   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

If you pay for the delivery that's it. Tipping neither required nor expected.

But if you know the captain's likes and dislikes a small gift is OK. Delivery captain, electrician or whatever.

I was delivering a boat once and before my departure for home the owner's daughter baked a cake with almonds for my long train journey ... Well, I think if she ever needs a boat delivery (house painted, etc.) I will giver her a super good deal !!!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 18:06   #19

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If you pay for the delivery that's it. Tipping neither required nor expected.

But if you know the captain's likes and dislikes a small gift is OK. Delivery captain, electrician or whatever.

I was delivering a boat once and before my departure for home the owner's daughter baked a cake with almonds for my long train journey ... Well, I think if she ever needs a boat delivery (house painted, etc.) I will giver her a super good deal !!!

b.
Absolutely...but it's not incorrect either....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 18:17   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tipping Delivery Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Absolutely...but it's not incorrect either....
He forgot the ...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 18:18   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
in the past when iv'e delivered yachts with un paid crew,after a good dinner on the owner, i mention that if he/she feels like giving a tip, to give it to the crew,i dont expect a tip as iv'e all ready been paid.

this goes a long way in keeping the good will going amongst the many inexperianced delivery crew members who are willing to donate their time and energy to gain experiance to become competent skippers.
yep - that's pretty much what I do to. tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 18:19   #22

I guess I'm pretty old school.. I would round up if the overall trip was more work than normal, or they went above and beyond.. A dinner and all the drinks for everyone is standard in my view...
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:14   #23

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Thanks, all. I appreciate the input, especially from the other delivery skippers. I was somewhat hesitant to post this question since I wasn't sure if my delivery captain or crew regularly reads this forum!
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:11   #24

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Thanks, all. I appreciate the input, especially from the other delivery skippers. I was somewhat hesitant to post this question since I wasn't sure if my delivery captain or crew regularly reads this forum!
of course we do! hopefully you chose someone who takes their responsibility serious...not the rest of life's little issues!!!!
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:39   #25

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I've rec'd fairly good sized tips after deliveries depending on the problems I encountered on the passage, completing the delivery on or before the agreed upon arrival date and the condition of the vessel when we arrived. I don't think there is any hard and fast rule and a lot depends upon the size of the vessel and the wealth of the owner. My usual charge was based on $/nautical mile with an over ride per diem if held up for weather or major mechanical. On several deliveries, there was no tip or extra remuneration at all, as I recall. A delivery skippers reputation is what keeps his clients coming back or not. If you treat the vessel as your own, arrive in a clean shipshape state and have a clean accounting of extraordinary expenses like fuel, repairs, etc, owners tend to be delighted and treat you and your crew generously. If the vessel is dirty, gear stowed haphazardly, poor or nonexistent log keeping, etc., don't expect much of any recognition, financial or otherwise. You will probably lose the owner as a client and other prospective cients he might talk to. A debrief over dinner is customary and may or may not include the crew. I always gave each crew member a tip as the skipper depending on their experience/contribution and factored that along with their per diem into the rates I charged. Like any other business, you need to run deliveries like a business. Yours was an excellent question, Steve77... there shouldn't be any mystery about deliveries and the more owners understand the process, the less chance for misunderstanding... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 13:24   #26

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Never received tips when I used to deliver boats. After all, I am an -EMPLOYEE being paid to do the job. Had addendum in the delivery contract for additional pay for extra work if needed.

It comes down to your personal preferences..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 14:45   #27

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I can't recall a tip. I've been taken to some quite nice dinners which are appreciated. The best "tips" are private transportation direct to the airport or train station so I can get home.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, delivery