Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 20:55   #91
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: So many rules in So Cal!

"One post theorized that the op might have already overstayed by several nights."
No, one post did not theorize that. The OP stated flat out that they had overstayed 48 hours, forgetting to make their daily payment twice before the sheriff came after them.
That's like baseball. You know, strike one, strike two, strike three and you're out?
Old 10-12-2012, 20:57   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb View Post
Oh and by the way, the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the US is your concealed carry permit, even in So. CA., I have never had a problem with law enforcement when I let them know up front I am armed.

I have a FL CCW permit. If you are caught carrying a handgun without one the second amendment won’t help you.

Ditto MA, MD, NJ and NY that I know of personally.

Did you mean something else?
Old 10-12-2012, 21:19   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
I've only been a boat owner since April. A month or two ago, I received an envelope with a California Use Tax Bill. They were trying to tax me for my boat that I bought and have stored in Tennessee and to be used in Kentucky. I had to send them the bill for exemption for being out of state with copies of the documents I have to prove it. The reason they sent me this tax bill is only because they saw something that it was sold and the hailing port is Dana Point, CA.

I haven't heard anything since I sent the other papers and I'm already considering switching out the hailing port when I renew my USCG Documentation to Annapolis.
Same thing just happened to me. I purchased my boat in Florida , never been to California , and is registered in Florida. Just recently sold the boat so I don't even have it anymore. I called and told them and they still want proof .
Old 10-12-2012, 21:20   #94

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"One post theorized that the op might have already overstayed by several nights."
No, one post did not theorize that. The OP stated flat out that they had overstayed 48 hours, forgetting to make their daily payment twice before the sheriff came after them.
That's like baseball. You know, strike one, strike two, strike three and you're out?
In the op's original post he stated that they had forgotten to pay for a couple of extra nights by the checkout time on a particular day. To me this indicated that he had a scheduled checkout time and day and wanted to stay a couple of more days but had forgotten to arrange and pay for that before he drove out of town to see friends.

Since you seem to understand the English language better than I do, I would be most grateful if you could QUOTE from the op's post where he "stated flat out that they had overstayed 48 hours ---".
I would also like to see you furnish a QUOTE from the op saying they had forgotten "to make their daily payment twice".

I anxiously await being enlightened.
Old 10-12-2012, 21:25   #95

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post

This marina operator doesn't take credit cards. Neither does my landlord. Nor Arco gas stations. There is no obligation for a company to take credit cards for your convenience. If you don't like it go elsewhere. Seems like the "they have to take cards" would require a regulation by the nanny-state, no?
Who said the marine operator doesn't take credit cards? They likely did when the OP's initially checked in. It's likely that it was a way to punish them for making a mistake. So you're right about the Nanny State thing.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 10-12-2012, 21:48   #96

http://egov.ocgov.com/vgnfiles/ocgov...egulations.pdf

Aside from reviewing the rental rules I did the simple thing which was to call the listed phone number (949 723 1002) for Marine Operations.

Me: Good evening, I am calling to inquire about guest moorings in Newport Harbor. Do you take credit cards over the phone?

Harbor Patrol/Marine Operations HQ: No, we do not.

Me: Why not?

HP: Because we cannot verify the credit card is yours.

Me: Wouldn't you have my card on file from when I checked in?

HP: No.

Me: Ok, thank you very much.
Old 10-12-2012, 22:43   #97

The moorage rate was set by law @$5 a night. They have tried over and over and over again to raise it. They finally got it to $15

The policy to present yourself in person every day is simply to make it onerous on transients.

I find it curious that lots of people who have never been there defend their actions. But people who have dealt with them... not so much. It's also "odd" that another major offender is often Dana Point. Same Sheriff / Same problems

Furthermore, When you enter Newport beach, the Sheriff office is just past the breakwater on the right. It's exposed to the sea, and the weather, and the docks are seriously crappy. Hard to use on a good day. You then pass a ton of residences with private slips before you get to the end of the harbor where there is finally any sort of reason to go ashore. I'm not even sure that you could get from the office to town using punlic transit if you tried. It's in the middle of no-where opposite a cliff and surrounded by mansions.

So, when you take a moorage in Newport, you are going to be taking a dinghy a mile or two, in the weather, no matter what. It's simply not possible to spend a day by yourself on your boat.

Then, when you jump through their stupid hoops, you're treated like dirt. Because you ARE dirt. you're a nothing nobody transient boater who doesn't own a 6 million dollar home so why bother treating you like a person!?
Old 11-12-2012, 01:12   #98

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Personally I think the TV show "Cops" did a great disservice to the American people. It legitimized the hard attitude and actions of the police and spread that attitude widely.
Even worse, those police type programs are broadcast around the world on cable TV, so a whole generation in other countries are growing up believing that is what it's like in the US.

Pete
Old 11-12-2012, 03:43   #99
CLOD

Boat: none

what a good thread for whining, crying, complaining, anti-gov't, etc.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:34   #100

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Come on over to the East Coast. Despite what you hear, it is very rare to have any interaction with law enforcement on the water, especially north of Florida. Even Florida, which has gotten an unwarranted bad rap due to a few bad apples, is mostly live-and-let-live.
So true!!! The marina in KW has always been nice and especially where safety is concerned. When Hurricane sandy came by they said please stay don't want anything bad to happen. Even though they were full they found space for a small boat or two to to tie up. They also said take your time just pay before you leave. .. Most marinas are very laid back in Fl on the west coast and in the keys love it!!!! Doesn't really matter Cali only has about two weeks till sliding into the ocean hehe
Old 11-12-2012, 04:48   #101
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Even worse, those police type programs are broadcast around the world on cable TV, so a whole generation in other countries are growing up believing that is what it's like in the US.

Pete
Matey, we don't need no stinkin' television, we got CF to tell us how it is stateside
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 11-12-2012, 04:49   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
The moorage rate was set by law @$5 a night. They have tried over and over and over again to raise it. They finally got it to $15

The policy to present yourself in person every day is simply to make it onerous on transients.

I find it curious that lots of people who have never been there defend their actions. But people who have dealt with them... not so much. It's also "odd" that another major offender is often Dana Point. Same Sheriff / Same problems

Furthermore, When you enter Newport beach, the Sheriff office is just past the breakwater on the right. It's exposed to the sea, and the weather, and the docks are seriously crappy. Hard to use on a good day. You then pass a ton of residences with private slips before you get to the end of the harbor where there is finally any sort of reason to go ashore. I'm not even sure that you could get from the office to town using punlic transit if you tried. It's in the middle of no-where opposite a cliff and surrounded by mansions.

So, when you take a moorage in Newport, you are going to be taking a dinghy a mile or two, in the weather, no matter what. It's simply not possible to spend a day by yourself on your boat.

Then, when you jump through their stupid hoops, you're treated like dirt. Because you ARE dirt. you're a nothing nobody transient boater who doesn't own a 6 million dollar home so why bother treating you like a person!?
Spot on.

Contrast that to Mexico where I am now. Here, the boaters are the ones bringing all the money to town. We're treated better than the millionaires in Newport.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:57   #103
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko

As a California resident, I feel entitled to take a dig at it. Believe me, it deserves it. And you are only emphasizing the point by showing just how deep law enforcement is entwined in running activities that are handled privately most places else.
I was thinking that myself , what has a law enforcement officier involved in a civil matter. Very wierd. ( I can imagine the laughing this side of the pond if you asked the police to get involved in collecting a business debt )

I agree with Dockhead ( ps Weymouth is lovely ) its an attitude thing. The boat was still there. I simple phone call to ascertain the facts and an assurance to pay on return to the boat should be sufficient. Even if the slip was booked the marina could patiently explain that they had to move your boat and there would be a charge. Etc all done in a positive and friendly manner.

I don't mean to be specifically political. But the US has forgotten the value of people and filled its books with rules and police to enforce them. When everyone wishes you a nice day, nobody including the giver beleives it anymore.

More looking the other way needed. totalitarianism usually sneeks in with the acquiescence of the people.

I've lived there for some years, I was firstly astounded by the number of petty rules and more astounded by the zeal in enforcing them ( often to the annoyance of the people that voted for them first off ) I was further astounded by the sheer numbers of LEOs too. I situation I haven't found in any other similar developed country.

Having said that I have a great many friends and relatives in the US, but it can be a wierd place , just saying. ( you know the joke about , no offense but ...).

Dave
Old 11-12-2012, 06:17   #104
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Larryb,

It is a characteristic of totalitarianism that the state makes it a condition of helping you by making you agree to other rules. Hence you view of carrying an epirb ( and by extension, rescue) and the other been boarded and 'inspected ".

One is a humanitarian function that should and generally is carried out without fear or favour , irrespective of the rescuees status

The other is a law enforcement activity.

I would suggest this has nothing to do with the nanny state ( my nan was a very nice person) and more to do with making benefits conditional on behaving appropriately. ( the tow the line and well help you ideology ). A perusal of history will show you some disturbing parallels.

I like you pay my taxes. Part of those taxs builds and maintains a sea rescue service ( most is voluntary ) I certainly wish that service to act irrespective of whether the person being rescue is a republican voter, a terrorist , a anarchist or just a sailor with bills. ( and to my knowledge it does so )

Your attitude displays a worrying issue, the OP is entitled to the presumption of being a reasonable person. More over the marina should display a common curtesy to its customers, even if they have made a mistake.

Quite frankly nobody wants to live in a jurisdiction where laws get enforced ' zealously ' to many parallels in history that are frightening.

This isn't an example of the nanny state. It certainly a function of some sort of statism

Dave
Old 11-12-2012, 06:22   #105
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I was thinking that myself , what has a law enforcement officier involved in a civil matter. Very wierd. ( I can imagine the laughing this side of the pond if you asked the police to get involved in collecting a business debt )
You're jumping in late, so maybe you didn't read the thread.

The reason the sherriff is involved is that the Newport Harbor Patrol is an arm of the shrriff's department in Orange County (where Newport is located) and the Harbor Patrol rents the guest dock space where the OP was berthed and to whom she failed to make timely payment.
Closed Thread

Tags
cal