Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2015, 08:38   #1

Boat: One-off Baron von Hoevell, 29ft steel classic
Roundtrip Atlantic from Europe - insurance

Hi there,

We're planning a classic roundtrip to the Caribbean starting in Europe, and with the arrival of the annual insurance bill I've turned my attention to looking at insurers for our trip. I've come to understand there's a difference between third party liability, hull, and medical insurance. I've also read all over that most all insurers will need an (expensive) survey to insure your hull, and quite often for third party insurance also.

Currently our insurance covers all the above (minus medical) for our home waters in Belgium at 105€ annually. We didn't need a survey done, even though our boat was built in 1969 and we're in the process of a full refit. My fear is that the cost of the insurance combined with the cost of the survey for our one year trip will end up costing almost as much as the trip itself! At 15.000€ the total value of the boat isn't that great, and we're considering dropping hull insurance altogether, but I understand insurers aren't too keen on that either...

What would you guys suggest in my case? What insurers should I talk to? I've already requested quotes from pantaenius, pegasus and my own insurer, but I fear they won't even want to talk to me about it...

Thanks!
Orchidius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, insurance, rope