Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 19:53   #1

Boat: 1974 Tayana 37'
Problems getting insurance

When we were looking at purchasing our boat, I contacted Boat US for a quote on the boat that we were looking at. I received said quote however it took several months to close on our boat but we finally closed on it and the quote had expired so I reapplied. My request for insurance was declined because of our lack of experience so now we own a boat but are struggling to get insurance. Any one out there have an insurance company they want to recommend?
10yearplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 20:01   #2

Boat: S2 11.0
Just bought my first boat and was able to get a very reasonable policy through Allstate. Half the price of BoatUS. Do you have any ASA certs or USCG training?
FruiVita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 20:22   #3

Re: Problems getting insurance

The recommendation I see given most is:

Bill Hodgens
W.R.Hodgens Marine Insurance. Inc.
2015 SW 20th Street Suite 100
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315
954 523 6867 Fax: 954 523 6488
wrhodgens@yachtinsure.com
Yacht Insurance- W R Hodgens | All Oceans | All Yachts
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 20:33   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruiVita View Post
Just bought my first boat and was able to get a very reasonable policy through Allstate. Half the price of BoatUS. Do you have any ASA certs or USCG training?
No we don't have any certs or training. We were hoping to do that with our boat when we get moved out there. I wasn't worried about it since we got the quote prior to buying the boat and nothing changed on the application. I would imagine that the Marine industry is realing since Hurricane Sandy, that is the only thing that I can think of that changed between the 2 applications.
Old 12-01-2013, 22:54   #5

Boat: Cal 2-27

Progressive. Try them
Old 13-01-2013, 01:21   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

I am using Ski-Safe. They are affiliated with Geico, who carries the insurance on my truck. If you have a car or truck you might contact them and see if they insure boats or have an affiliate who does.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 01:26   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
Progressive. Try them
yup...seem to be the cheapest and easiest to get along with.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 01:48   #8

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

While finding insurance coverage, sign up for sailing classes. Annapolis Sailing School has superb classes that you can complete in less than a month. These classes include: "Five-Day New Sailor's Vacation Course" (ASA 101 certification) and "Cruising and Charter Combo Escape" (ASA 103 and ASA 104 certification). Other schools offer similar certification. Tuition cost for these two classes is about $3000 USD. These classes will provide you with the foundation of seamanship that you will need to build on. Insurance companies will discount your premiums once you show them your certification. Good luck! (A disclaimer...I am not affiliated with Anapolis Sailing School.) Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 23:55   #9

Pounding my head against the Insurance wall

Trying to develop a bit of a budget prior to taking the plunge and buying a live aboard.

I have sent requests for an estimate for comprehensive insurance to at least 10 companies and am not getting much of a reply... usually that I need to provide specific information about the boat I plan to buy in 1-2 years...sigh

Can anyone offer me some estimates based on current policies for a 45-50' fiberglass monohull valued in the $175k range for full time sailing in the Gulf of Mexico waters?

I have about 5 years experience owning/sailing a 28' boat. No current training at this time but am happy to get a basic class or two prior to the purchase.

Thanks in advance for any help
Andy
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 00:09   #10

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue
Re: Pounding my head against the Insurance wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyR View Post
Trying to develop a bit of a budget prior to taking the plunge and buying a live aboard.

I have sent requests for an estimate for comprehensive insurance to at least 10 companies and am not getting much of a reply... usually that I need to provide specific information about the boat I plan to buy in 1-2 years...sigh

Can anyone offer me some estimates based on current policies for a 45-50' fiberglass monohull valued in the $175k range for full time sailing in the Gulf of Mexico waters?

I have about 5 years experience owning/sailing a 28' boat. No current training at this time but am happy to get a basic class or two prior to the purchase.

Thanks in advance for any help
Andy
Andy, a warm welcome to Cruisers Forum! Regarding your post... You are putting out a very general scenario that has so many variables associated with it, the price range you will get will be wide enough to be of very little use to you. When you identify the boat you want, start calling insurance companies. You'll get more relevant information that way.

I recommend you begin a new thread -- as your question (a very legitimate one) diverts from the focus of this post. You will also get more exposure and helpful insight specifically pertaining to your question when you have a dedicated thread. Hope this helps!
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 22:40   #11

Re: Pounding my head against the Insurance wall

Thanks AB... thought it was vaguely related but appreciate your feedback.
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 22:53   #12

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We've been using Pantaenius for several years now and they've never asked me about my experience or training. They don't set boundaries on where we can sail but they won't cover damage caused by named storms. We've never filed a claim by I have spoken with those who have and they said the response was very good.

Yacht Insurance online - Best American Yacht Insurance Company

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 20:40   #13

Thank you for the leads. Progressive on the west coast came through for us and yes, cheaper than Boat US

Tags
insurance