Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-05-2011, 09:23   #31

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Re: New Jersey Safe Boating License

With regards to NJ, I can make it a little clearer.

If you operate a powered vessel upon NJ waters you need to have taken an approved boating safety course and be able to produce the certificate, card or whatever.

For out of staters, passing through or vacationing, if it was a Nasbla approved course you are covered for up to 90 days.

If you have a USCG license in your possession you are exempt.

Each "operator" of the motor vessel must comply..

A sailboat operating under power is a power vessel..
Old 15-05-2011, 09:28   #32

Re: N.J. Safe Boating License

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcobra View Post
After having read the whole thing, it appears that a sailboat with an auxilliary engine over 10hp is considered a "power vessel." And that if I am in their waters as a non-resident for less than 90 days i don't need a license.
Just to be clear..

a sailboat with any size engine engaged.. is a power boat.
And as an out of stater you don't need a nj certificate...but you do need one from somewhere...
Old 15-05-2011, 09:53   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
Just to be clear..

a sailboat with any size engine engaged.. is a power boat.
And as an out of stater you don't need a nj certificate...but you do need one from somewhere...
Unless your state does not require one because of your age.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 10:02   #34

Quote:
It implies that a sailboat with an auxillary engine INSTALLED is a "power vessel."
This is an interesting catch! I need to do some research on this.

It would mean that sailing schools would have to require their students to have a boating safety certificate to operate a sailboat under-sail, that has a motor either outboard or inboard....which I know they do not do....
Old 15-05-2011, 10:30   #35

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

I haven't done research on NJ, but I don't think they require the "Operator" to be the one actually steering the boat. The operator is the person responsible for the safe operation of the boat, not the one holding the helm.
Old 15-05-2011, 10:37   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
I haven't done research on NJ, but I don't think they require the "Operator" to be the one actually steering the boat. The operator is the person responsible for the safe operation of the boat, not the one holding the helm.
No, the operator is the person steering the boat..at least in NJ..

Everyone who operates a motor boat must take the course.
Old 15-05-2011, 10:49   #37

Quote:
It implies that a sailboat with an auxillary engine INSTALLED is a "power vessel."
Great catch!

So, I think sailing schools that teach on motor vessels must then fall under the " rental operation" exemption.
Old 16-05-2011, 22:28   #38

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I better hang on dearly to that USPS course-completion certificate because the California legislature surely won't want to be left behind in the field of regulation.
You can get a California Boating Certificate on line (not called a license) but it is certified by NASBLA. Cost $29.50. Not needed but if it keeps the NJ cops off me than it's worth the cash.

Took me 4 hours to read the course, but I could have taken the test blind. Nothing better to do at work today.

If California does start requiring a license, I'm covered.
Old 17-05-2011, 06:50   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

Does the CA online course require you to take a written exam in front of a licensed individual after you complete the on line quiz? NJ does require it. It's a scam of the highest order. $40 for the online and another $40 to take same test in front of a live instructor.
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 07:14   #40

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

As Don has noted above, on-line test is very easy. Probably a good idea to complete one of these now because, as in all things governmental, it will only get more difficult, intrusive, and costly. I guess some states are requiring a basics test to buy/operate a boat--probably not a bad idea to let new boaters know that there ARE some rules they need to know. Since I am going to head to Florida this year, I took the Fla test. It is understandably weighted more toward questions on ICW markers and PWCs. Hey, for thirty bucks, you have a piece of paper to show you're an expert in case the law wants to KNOW.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 07:51   #41

It appears, that California does not require a written in-person test

The onliine NJ course from boat-ed is $39.50 and the in-person test is $30.00.

There are in-person courses and tests that are less expensive.

I'm not sure where the Scam comes into play. N.J. simply passed a law, just as most states have done or are planning to do. NJ does not run the courses, only approves the content and the individuals. NJ doesn't set the fees, nor does it currently charge for the card which at the moment has no expiration date.

Taking the test in person makes sense for any exam. Even with the in-person exam, the State Police arrested a number of people simply selling the certificates with no instruction.

There was a 4 year phase-in period where someone could simply take the exam if they felt that they were " experienced" enough to pass without a course. Most long time boaters took advantage of this phase-in which ended in 2009.

With the amount of high speed boats on the water, it makes sense to require some form of safety education in the most densely populated state in the country.

Most, NJ auto drivers don't know or care what "Yield" means, that their lights are supposed to be on when their windshield wipers are on, and that it's illegal to text or talk on the phone while driving. A course and an exam is no quarantee that they'll follow the " Rules of the Road" on the water, but if they can afford a boat and the fuel, they can afford a one time fee of $69.00 to learn the rules.

I really don't get the angst.
Old 17-05-2011, 08:28   #42

Boat: Aries 32

Quote:
Hi Mark,

So, You don't need a N.J. license, but you DO need to have taken a similar approved course, possess another states license, or have a coast guard license.

Boating licenses are quickly becoming like drivers licenses...you will need one everywhere... states will recognize other states licenses for usually up to 90 days.
You need a driver's license in every state because of intense Federal pressure tied to highway funds. Such leverage does not exist for boating. I think you over-estimate many states' "sheepness factor," or willingness to follow along with this push against your freedoms, although perhaps I've got that exactly backwards.

I can find no data that suggest licensing makes boating safer, so I can conclude that this is nothing but another way of transferring money and power from the individual to the organization.

I'm very thankful that I've never had much desire to see that part of the world anyway. It must be a very sad place to exist.

Boiling frog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 09:02   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustymc View Post

I'm very thankful that I've never had much desire to see that part of the world anyway. It must be a very sad place to exist.

Boiling frog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, it is a horrible place! I would strongly discourage anyone from moving here! I regularly urge people to move away..
Old 17-05-2011, 09:16   #44

Boat: Aries 32

Quote:
Yes, it is a horrible place! I would strongly discourage anyone from moving here! I regularly urge people to move away..
OK, I had that coming. At least can't be worse than AK. Nothing but leaky pipeline and drunk Eskimos!
Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 09:40   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustymc View Post
OK, I had that coming. At least can't be worse than AK. Nothing but leaky pipeline and drunk Eskimos!
Every place has it's plusses and minuses. Countless folks have been devasted by hurricanes, tornados, and floods in recent years in other part of the country.

I enjoy my state's 130 miles of beaches, access to NYC, proximity of the mountains of the catskills and adirondacks, and lack of natural disasters.

The downside is that, far too many people seem to feel the same way....

Tags
boating, license, new jersey