Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 09:49   #1

Boat: Punch 1010 36ft
Me European, Going to Crew in US

Hi everybody
I have an invitation to join a boat in the US,
me i am dutch and have an ESTA travel pass, which apparantly is not a visa !
The only thing I am worried about is that I am flying on a one way ticket,
where are you going, how long, bla bla, ANYBODY EXPERIENCED THIS ?
so I could fly to Canada and take a coach to the boat, WE will pass US customs, what will they say, ANYBODY EXPERIENCED THIS ?
seeking info fast need to be there end of month,
thanks...
laforge24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 12:16   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: me European, going to CREW in US

Sorry no one has answered you yet. You may want to contact the US embassy for an answer.
Old 24-08-2012, 12:55   #3
cruiser

Re: Me European, Going to Crew in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by laforge24 View Post
Hi everybody
I have an invitation to join a boat in the US,
me i am dutch and have an ESTA travel pass, which apparantly is not a visa !
The only thing I am worried about is that I am flying on a one way ticket,
where are you going, how long, bla bla, ANYBODY EXPERIENCED THIS ?
so I could fly to Canada and take a coach to the boat, WE will pass US customs, what will they say, ANYBODY EXPERIENCED THIS ?
seeking info fast need to be there end of month,
thanks...
Hi, read the info on CBP.gov - home page about the Visa Waiver Program.

In het Nederlands staat er;

Aankomt via een Visa Waiver Program signatory carrier;

Een ticket heeft voor een heen heen-en terugreis;

Geen ander aangrenzend land of nabijgelegen eiland als eindbestemming heeft, tenzij u inwoner bent van één van deze gebieden;

Volgens mij gaat het alleen met een echt visum en omop een een enkele reis te reizen dient dat een Scheepsagent garant te staan dat je per schiphet land verlaat.

Suc6
CeesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 13:12   #4

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

We have traveled to the USA on our ESTA visas without any hassle whatsoever. What one has to be mindful of is that there are limitations on traveling with an ESTA, for example we were told we may not enter US territory on any private mode of transport (such as our yacht) ... that one has to arrive and depart by commercial transport. They will want to see a return ticket and will want to know the purpose of your visit.

However, don't accept just anyone's advice as right now we are going through 'hoops and hurdles' with the US authorities who are in disagreement with each other regarding their own legislation ... we are now being told by certain customs officials in the US that it is fine to enter with an ESTA visa on our private yacht as long as we have already made one entry and exit on the ESTA visa (into and out of the USA)
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 13:15   #5

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijsigher View Post
Hi, read the info on CBP.gov - home page about the Visa Waiver Program.

In het Nederlands staat er;

Aankomt via een Visa Waiver Program signatory carrier;

Een ticket heeft voor een heen heen-en terugreis;

Geen ander aangrenzend land of nabijgelegen eiland als eindbestemming heeft, tenzij u inwoner bent van één van deze gebieden;

Volgens mij gaat het alleen met een echt visum en omop een een enkele reis te reizen dient dat een Scheepsagent garant te staan dat je per schiphet land verlaat.

Suc6
We have used our ESTA visa for MULTIPLE ENTRIES without any problem ... you can enter and exit on various commercial forms of transport in and out of the US as many times as you like but obviously within the validity period of that visa
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 20:39   #6
cruiser

Forums are sometimes strange platforms, when no body response everybody keep quiet. But then WHEN somebody response with a text taken from the American Embassy, people response how wrong he is...............

READ and read again,in doubt call them... NOT listen to people who where maybe lucky 10 years ago by NOT acting according the rules.

@impe, you pay his expenses when it not work as you tell here????

WE LIVE IN A DIFFERENT WORLD NOW...............

Nogmaals, lees de regels en blijf verre van "ik probeer het wel"

Suc6
Old 24-08-2012, 20:45   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
We have used our ESTA visa for MULTIPLE ENTRIES without any problem ... you can enter and exit on various commercial forms of transport in and out of the US as many times as you like but obviously within the validity period of that visa
Its not a visa, it don't have a validity period. Its the VISA WAIVER PROGRAM, read the text by the US Government, its a "travel to the US permit". No more no less. It seems clearly that you don't know what a ESTA visa is.

Suc6
Old 25-08-2012, 03:07   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

the only "real life experiance" feedback we have had recently was from boatman61 earlier this year when he was refused boarding in london on a flight to florida.

he was allowed to fly the following day with a full return air ticket,and being met by the owners of the vessel at the other end.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 03:23   #9

Thank you, Dank je wel, let's not argue bout this subject, it is just not very clear, all
of you are right, To follow exact rules of embassy I would have to have 'monsterboekje'
(profess.crew) in other words I was seen as a 'payed' member, To avoid problems I was already looking for return ticket(and return non repayable due to low price!!) AND
then the whole trip got cancelled !!! The next journey starting in the US will be looked at differently. Thanks anyhow.
Old 25-08-2012, 03:29   #10

PS; ESTA is not a VISA, ESTA validity is same as validity Passport, due to their connection, for a VISA I would have had to visit 'in person' the US embassy! lol:-)
Old 25-08-2012, 04:40   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I had my German crew travel to the USA on a 1-way ticket as well.

The problem with a 1-way ticket has nothing to do with the U.S. immigration authorities but with the airline, since they would have to foot the bill for your return flight should you not be granted entry into the U.S.

What I did was call the airline ahead of time (in my case, United) to make sure that they don't have a pre-printed form or other restrictions. Then I printed out and signed a document as owner and skipper stating that they would be departing the USA on a sailing vessel. Then I had them talk with the local airport United representative to make sure that everything would be in order and that they wouldn't get any nasty surprises upon checkin.

It all worked seamlessly and they weren't asked for any paperwork - but they had it all prepared including printouts of e-mails from United Airlines.

This bond that the airline has with the U.S. government is also the reason why the ESTA system cannot be used to enter the U.S. on a private vessel - unlike the airline, one has no bond and thus could eventually enforce a stay despite being denied entry and thus the authorities have not permitted that method of entry without a visa; which in turn doesn't guarantee that the CBP will let one into the country but gives a pretty good likelihood of them doing so. The Visa application is a hassle - I've done it and now, every time I fly into the USA and don't use ESTA but my Visa I get asked why I have one, since I can't think of any other reason to get a tourist visa unless one has had prior issues with CBP.

Tags
crew