Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2011, 06:02   #1

Letter of Intent ?

I remember that when I flew into St. Marteen that I needed to have a signed letter of intent saying that I would be joining my brother on his boat and leaving the island that way (I remember the issue being with not having a return date on my flight, since it was a one way).

A friend of my brother is getting ready to fly out to the phillipines to join him. Does he still need to have the same type of letter? If so, is there a standardized format?

Thanks in advance
oochiesollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 06:08   #2

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
We always send crew a letter signed by the captain stating that the crew that are arriving by plane will be leaving on our boat. I have heard instances where arriving crew were required to buy a return ticket before they were allowed to enter and other instances where the passports were confiscated until proof of exit passage was provided. Our letter details the name and registration of the vessal and anticipated departure.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 05:09   #3

That's what I thought, thanks for the quick reply.
oochiesollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 06:17   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
The Philippines have just started using departure forms attached to the entry form. It might be wise to contact the Philippine Embassy to get the proper answer. I just left last week.

More info here: Philippines Visa: Application, Requirements. Apply for Philippine Visas Online.
Old 27-01-2011, 06:28   #5

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
I send the same sort of letter along with a copy of boat documentation and the cruising permit or whatever other documentation I received when checking in. I keep a small scanner on the boat and use that to make a pdf out of everything and send to inbound crew. None of my crew (a total of about 8 now) have been asked for anything going into the Bahamas. I have had crew asked for their return plans going into the EU, but not everyone.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 08:33   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
This is a problem I dealt with almost monthly having 16 crew rejoin super yachts in various foreign ports, using tourist visas.

Sometimes it was easy, other times the returning crew have had a terrible time.
Destinations that are popular with backpackers are often the worst.

Here is the reason and a few tricks.

The issue is that airlines are fined heavily by Immigration if they allow a foreign passenger to arrive without actual proof of onward or return passage. After being fined, Airline companies often send strong memos to their check in staff to enforce this policy without exception!

When that happens and they run into a brick wall, instruct the crew to insist on speaking with their supervisor and provide your crew with the following beforehand.

On yacht’s letterhead complete with official yacht stamp and ship’s seal a professional letter accepting “Financial Responsibility”

To whom it may concern,

I am captain/owner of the private yacht …………………… registration………… presently berthed in ………..port/country

…………..(Full crew name)……….. passport #....... will be joining the above yacht as (....crew position) and they will be departing the country at my expense and responsibility.

This crew member has been known to me for …. years and is a valued asset.

This letter confirms my complete financial responsibility and obligation to hold the airline company harmless of any Immigration problems upon (name) arrival, where he/she will be met by my representative.

Thank you for your cooperation…Etc etc

Make 3 copies of supporting documentation… (One for departure Airline, one for arrival Immigration and one for arrival Airline desk if needed)
  • Yacht’s registration
  • Copy of stamped Entry Clearance from Arrival country and present location.

Even after that a supervisor might still be afraid to depart from policy in which case insist on crew purchasing a 100% refundable one way from Arrival port to crewmembers resident country…Once arrived and thru Immigration…..crew cashes in ticket at airline desk and shows 3rd copy if needed.

I also reminded crew that appearance goes a long way to acceptance in these cases.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 05:30   #7

Re: Letter of Intent ?

Thanks, have copied and adjusted. Saved me heaps of time and HOPEFULLY problems.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote