Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2006, 14:10   #1
cruiser

Kiritimati (Christmas) Island, Kiribati

When I arrived at Christmas Island in 2002 , the immigration lady there told me that my Canadian yacht needed US registry and a US coastguard certificate of seaworthiness. When I told her that I'm Canadian and the US is a different country she said "Don't lie to me, leave immediately." I said "Its Hurricane season" She said "That's your problem."
The worst insult anyone can give a Canadian is to call them a yank.
In Canada we learn geography in grade three. One would hope that a country would choose someone for such a sensitve position to have an education at least equivalent to that of an 8 year old Canadian.
As there was a hurricane between me and Hawaii , the only option I had was to sail to Tonga, nearly 2,000 miles away , during hurricane season.
There are other reasons to avoid Kiribati. Locals there tell me that a woman there has a legal status below that of a dog. So who breast fed them? Their dogs? It shows man , it really shows.
Any woman found walking alone there is considered fair game for rapeists, By walking alone the legal system there considers them to be "Asking for it." You see a lot of women there with black eyes and bruises.
Don't rely on being allowed to stop there.Several other yachties, one who was married to a local woman from there were kicked out that year, all without good reason.
Best give it a miss.
Brent.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2006, 21:24   #2
Marine Service Provider

I lived there for over a year and think you have been spun a bit of a line or just run into someone having a real bad day.

Kiribati is a group of many Islands spread over a huge bit of the Pacific. Each Island is a bit like a US state and have differing cultures and rules. Some of them are actually at war with each other, strange but true. They fight a lot by 'dance' which looks quite nasty but is usually harmless.

The Eastern group is a tad more 'wildwest' than the Wastern group but I never found any to be a spooky as the above post implies.

There were a couple of ex-pats up there and they had children aged between 6 and 9 years old. These children had the run of the islands and after the initial perental stress everyone was in a haapy place. They would jump on the bus (useing the word 'bus' very very loosly) and end up anywhere. The locals always kept an eye on them as the played with the local kids. Never had a problem.

I would not be at all stressed to have my wife and kids wonder around at any time in Kiribati. I certianly would be in most '1st world' cities.
I never spent time 'looking over my shoulder' anywhere in Kiribati. I was always looking in London and LA.

Having spent many many years living in the Pacific islands I often saw North American people 'expecting' some wayward island in the middle of no-where to be exactly like back home. Saw some mighty tantrums thrown by those visitors who did not get treated like the gods they thought they were. Saw many who realised they were not at home and respected the island cultures as well, these people had a lot more fun.

By saying Nth Americans I'm covering my bases, it can be tricky to pick the Canadian V's US accents at times .

Oh yeah, in most of the islands in Kiribati males are not allowed to own land only the ladies. Saw many a woman take a bloke down when required, this included using fists, mind you it did work both ways sometimes. It's real wierd to see this sort of stuff happening but that is their culture. I'd say the women have more equality in Kiribati than anywhere else in the world I have been. Never once heard of a rape, not to say it may not happen.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 20:56   #3

Boat: Nordhavn 62
Re: Kiritimati (Christmas) Island, Kiribati

Can someone please help as I am getting conflicting data, we plan to travel from A. Samoa to Hawaii next year stopping at what looks to be a beautiful spot Kiribati (Christmas Isl.) - Now the gruising guides Jimmy Cornell and all others state harbour to port at London being only 4ft-10ft at best, while I did speak via email to a local who otld me that it is 9mters/27ft and that cruise ships enter a few times per year. Does anyone have any information they can shed on this. I did look at an old chart 1968 and it show 4ft depth.

Thank you in advance.
James
pendanablog.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 21:12   #4

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

I have looked for info as well on Christmas (Kiritimati - the "t"s are pronounced as esses) Island and a smaller one to the north, Fanning (Tabuaeran) Island.

Altho cruise ships do stop as Kiritimati Island, they do not enter the lagoon. The passage is only about 4 ft in depth, as best as I can determine. There is an anchoring area just outside the lagoon near London on the leeward side of the Island. Essentially an open roadstead.

There have been sporadic cruise ship activity at Tabuaeran Island. A cruise line will stop there for several years on a semi-regular basis and then, for various reasons, ceases to stop there. The lagoon there is well protected with a deep water entrance on the west side. Little commerce goes on as most folks depend on deliveries from Kiritimati Island and they are not regular.

I have never been there but have been reading up on both places as I hope to stop there one day. Most cruisers who report on being at both places that I have read about have never reported such behavior or activity as the OP wrote. But I am at a disadvantage having only reports of others to rely on.

Please post what you find out here as I would certainly appreciate it.
Old 05-02-2015, 14:39   #5

Ummmm:
"The worst insult anyone can give a Canadian is to call them a yank."

... isn't that an insult to Americans? Canuks are quite full of themselves.

As for the lady Immigration head, she had been a real REAL pain for years, and is now gone, and the Immigration scene is peaceful again!

As for crime -I have no access to any stats, but just from what I hear around here, it is indeed rather high, but doesn't seem to involve i-Matangs as victims. Except perhaps goodies on yachts? I just stay home on payday nites!

Everybody is quite relaxed and cool and friendly here: "kiribati time" being way slower than "manana time"!

The old wartime US basin in London is quite deep, but you may have to wait weeks to get out -just barely, with a 4ft draft. Not a bad spot if you can get in.

The Internet scene changes wildly, and constantly...

Anchor outside London, or by the ocean side jetty. No need to stay here long, except for picking up supplies from the unscheduled charter freighter 727, and do a bit of sight seeing. Fanning is better to anchor yachts. Both places are port of Entry, and so is Kanton, which is a very interesting experience.

Cheers

Christian

PS: feel free to contact me...
Chriswlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 17:39   #6

Boat: 55'alloy performance cruiser

Please don't tar all Canadians using the OP as the standard. He insults and outrages wherever he goes, even in Canada. I heard that he was kicked out of Keribati for not being willing to pay a small landing /port fee.
As a Canadian, I have found pretty much all of my social interactions with our neighbors to the south to be very positive.

Greg
Mirar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:31   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

stopped in kanton in 2010,the 14 residents could not have been more friendly!

the immigration officer stamped us in and out when we arrived and just asked us to fill in the date of departure when we left in our passports.

some yachts have spent the whole of the S pac cyclone season there,bring spare rice,flour,sugar and cooking oil ,gasoline,2 stroke oil etc, if visiting as they get resupplied very infrequently and extra supplies are greatly appreciated...........fishing is fantastic there.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:40   #8

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirar View Post
Please don't tar all Canadians using the OP as the standard. He insults and outrages wherever he goes, even in Canada. I heard that he was kicked out of Keribati for not being willing to pay a small landing /port fee.
As a Canadian, I have found pretty much all of my social interactions with our neighbors to the south to be very positive.

Greg
As a US citizen I say, "backatcha"! I have visited Canada several times and find the folks there very warm and welcoming. We love our northern friends and allies.
Old 06-02-2015, 17:23   #9

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Kiritimati (Christmas) Island, Kiribati

Reminds me of when I went to get a cruising permit on arrival in Jacksonville. The nice lady asked where my boat was registered and I told her Jersey.
"Oh then you don't need a cruising permit."
I was able to show her that I was referring to the "old" and not the "new" Jersey and that Jersey is part of the UK for her purposes and she got me all papered.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:03   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Christian.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Christmas Island, Kiribati, Kiritimati