Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 05:40   #76

Re: Help me choose a hailing port

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannago View Post
There's no place like Nome (AK).

(So I'm told, not quite adventurous enough to visit a place where residents can discuss for hours how to make Styrofoam seats for their honey buckets)

And there's no state sales tax.
Never heard them called a "honey bucket". I googled it..
justlearnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:42   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannago View Post
There's no place like Nome (AK).

(So I'm told, not quite adventurous enough to visit a place where residents can discuss for hours how to make Styrofoam seats for their honey buckets)

And there's no state sales tax.
Its an art.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 07:26   #78

Re: Help Me Choose a Hailing Port

Lost.....it's in Minnesota (MN methinks)
GnarlyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 14:49   #79

Boat: 1967 26ft Sailstar - Lillypad
Send a message via Skype™ to erinsavov

Kemah which is in Texas (even if I don't particularly like Kemah)
erinsavov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:35   #80

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Although the original poster has made his choice of Avon, NC, I'd like to see what would happen if someone was daring enough to choose Cuba, NM.
Old 25-03-2014, 07:00   #81

Boat: Valiant 40, 39.8 ft

My research show that the Commerce Department's "55dc" official list of names that are appropriate for use as a hailing port for documentation purposes is now replaced by a comprehensive database maintained by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names per this document.
Here's the replacement notification
http://www.nist.gov/itl/upload/FIPSC...tChart2012.pdf
and here's the searchable database
BGN: Domestic Names - Main
meador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 17:15   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
State registration has nothing to do with hailing port for documentation criteria, any city, state can be used.

Hailing port has nothing to do with taxes, only state registration..

Mine is registered in Texas, but my hailing port is Marathon. Fla.
Correct AND the state name may be abbreviated.

I suggest "Steamboat, Co."

I actually have a T-Shirt from the Steamboat Yacht Club, a famous watering hole & restaurant. - Now, unfortunately closed. SO sad. The owners retired and are returning to Denmark.

Steamboat Yacht Club closing its doors this month | Steamboat Pilot & Today
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 16:15   #83

Boat: Finnsailor Motorsailor 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Would it be silly to make *your* hailing port your boats *hailing port*...?

and maybe a smaller font would allow more letters?
. Why would that be funny? If your live-a-bout your boat is your domicile.
You can used (a controlling mail address)

Just check the legal requirements to establish your state citizenship and residency. It's not only a joke... the illegals love it.
Cornucopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 16:28   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Steamboat Colorado - I have a Steamboat Yacht Club T-shirt.

Hell Michigan
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 17:11   #85

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ramah, Co. but this is an oooold thread!

And, welcome aboard meador. Excellent first post.

Ann
Old 26-04-2014, 17:22   #86

Help Me Choose a Hailing Port

Boaters BEWARE or help take action. Especially documented vessels.

Greetings you, (I am a new member to the site)

I am a live-a-board (no state residence) in any state.

A state can not require a USCG-documented boat to be titled or issued it a state registration number or require such a number be displayed.

Well think again, some states are finding ways around this law, they don't care what you do the numbers; they want the boat excise tax.

I applied for a mooring in Boston Harbor to use for 6 to 8 weeks (being way under any legal limit stay) under these new (terrorist hiding under your boat laws) the paranoid police will simply harass you wherever you might anchor. So a mooring is better, but again they claim you have to pay a boat excise tax; in order to obtain a mooring permit. Claiming they don't care where your permanent residence happens to be; to me this is unconstitutional especially since your denied a right to vote for or against said tax/taxes, meanwhile you must be a state citizen to vote.

I asked DOR if they could provide this law in their M.G.L. laws which actually states a person who is not a legal citizen of the state; that the state can demand such a boat excise tax? When fact not being a legal citizen, you cannot vote in the state?

No one will answer the inquiry (be they sincere persons) in the state department or those who simply and "willfully" deceive and mislead you. (but hopefully an answer is forthcoming soon) via the Governors office.

I understand paying fees for a mooring permit and their waterway fee and even their non-resident fee, but not a tax which once you pay you will continued to be billed for each and every year. Such remains legal until you lawfully have it dismissed (unpaid it will accrue penalties) why even consent to paying such a tax, in the first place (unless you have no choice as state registered vessels simply have no choice)

I would like some help from you members on these concerns if possible.

I am a live-a-board, all year round, retired and live on a minimum monthly income. Enough should be enough, regarding these states bleeding boaters be they local citizens; non-citizens; or visiting boaters....

Thanks, Much
Bob Beal
"Cornucopia"
quadcomptuers@yahoo.com
Old 27-04-2014, 15:31   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
State registration has nothing to do with hailing port for documentation criteria, any city, state can be used.

Hailing port has nothing to do with taxes, only state registration..

Mine is registered in Texas, but my hailing port is Marathon. Fla.

The registration information for your USCG documentation is forward to the hailing port state. Your physical address is required as well, and you must list a physical address (even if you list) a mail box address over to the right of the same. Just as each state forwards a list of registered boaters to all towns and cities; the document center forwards all registered USCG Documented boats. If you own property in your hailing port, expect a boat tax bill. If you have a way around this extortion ...I would like to hear about the same. But do be careful, because such tax demands are issued and due, regardless if you received a bill or not (so stated in their laws) here not only the overdue bill/bills but penalties on any unpaid bill/bills. "I didn't receive a bill.." is not considered a valid reason for not paying them.
Old 27-04-2014, 15:39   #88

[QUOTE=Ann T. Cate;1527686]Ramah, Co.

Thank you Ann T. Cate.... but there is the issue of the address block called "physical address" to the right is a P.O. Box address. If you list a P.O. Box address you must also list a physical address (mailing address) I did laugh at Ramah, Co and even used Google Earth to look around the small community; which may be under the political jurisdiction of nearby Colorado Springs. If such was Home Port they mail a list; and they can't find your address ....as listed and your signature signed on the same; bingo your in a position of creating a willful fraud. Unless you folks see another way around the same. The only way around these concerns would be getting the laws changed.
Old 27-04-2014, 16:06   #89

I am concerned about these issues especially being a live-a-board year around.
What is happening are the states are now using the same methods,
they use for state titled and registered boats; here the state boating department will report all registered vessels within the sate. A list is then sent out to all the state towns and cities acessors offices. If your address is in that town or city, then you have a bill waiting for you.
Now all USCG documented boats/vessels (all on the federal register) are doing the very same, sending out their list to the states. Here the states then pass this federal list forward in the same manner. Hence you now have a boat excise tax waiting for you.
In some states it will be a property tax instead of excise tax. Your boat will be noted as well on any property you own in the state.
What I don't know?... Is what if in the physical address block you enter your boat name instead a street address.

I realize someone is going to comment....for example ..."it's a mailing address" such is true; you can have many mailing addresses but only one domicle address. Again it your responsibility to inform the state regarding this situation; otherwise they will use address and consider it to be your legal domicile address.

My concern is there are plenty enough fee's to pay and paying a tax here (when your not a legal citizen of the state) and you don't have a right to vote for or against said tax; is unconstitutional so how are they getting around this law?

I have an inquiry posted with the Department of Revenue, Massachusetts but they won't tell me what law in M.G.L. so states a non-citizen of the state who cannot vote in the state can be levied a tax? Regardless others in the Massachusetts government have been sincere; the DOR representative has been "willfully deceiving" "willfully misleading" and disclosed privileged information, which under their same M.G.L. laws such action is said to be "a civil fraud" here by a state worker. However they do it anyway because evidence is catch-22.

Meanwhile the inquiry contnues to be pushed off rather than answered; the it is a matter to contact the governors office staff and here explain what is a fair and reasonable inquiry and ask why no one can answer it.

Most likely ...the reason is they have no right, because it is unconstitutional, which is my guess.

WARNING: Never sign any tax that is your agreement and consent to keep paying it year after year.

Bob Beal
"Cornucopia"
quadcomputers@yahoo.com
Old 28-04-2014, 18:34   #90

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Help Me Choose a Hailing Port

GEEZ FRICKIN LOUISE!. IS NOTHING SACRED?

Fellow boaters, I realize many of you do not know better, and worse, ya don't give a flip but there are traditions involved here.

Yeah yeah, I know new folk don't care about traditions but that is your loss kiddies, not mine. Go buy yer Hunter 27 or 43 and keep telling us how wonderful it is.

Wait! I want to include that 14 meter sloop as well for you know who I'm talking about, Commodore.

I will go to my stash tomorrow for the cite if need be lubbers, but a hailing port like Bumflick, Co is not ok.

It's been the rule for a century but I guess ya had to hear it here first, right now. That grinding you hear is me shaking my head.

Don't bother flaming me.

Read a little.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote