Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2013, 01:55   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Have you ever be cited for using VHF?

not been asked in mexico. been here only 2 years so far.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 01:56   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
A license is required to operate a VHF radio in Australia.

My understanding is that under international treaties Australia is required to allow visiting yachts to operate under licenses issued in their home countries.

While it may appear that the United States does not have VHF licenses my understanding is there is a "generic" license. Probably required under international treaties.

It would probably be possible to get a copy if one knew where to ask. I doubt if it would be required but if one likes to dot every "i" and cross every "t" then nice to have.

Following correct VHF procedures should keep everyone happy.
No, the US merely has a local rule for its own waters. Outside that it complies with the ITU requirements for radio licensing, in exactly the same way as other countries. ( ie a ships station license authorising the carraige of certain radio transmitters and an operators license to use them )

Confusion got added when the US , then on the arrival of DSC , to keep the license free environment started giving out ' makey up' MMSIs , which again have no actual validity outside the US.

It should really have been done right , from the start.
Old 27-05-2013, 05:51   #18

What if I am getting my ham license as well. Will that need to be done first?

Thanks for the help
Britt myc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 06:07   #19

Boat: islandpacket
You can get them all at one time
Old 27-05-2013, 06:51   #20

The rules for Canada.

In a nutshell, Canadians must have their operators licence (easy 2-night course via Power Squadron or CYA). preferably with the DSC endorsement.

Canadians don't have to licence the radio station, but I've heard that it must be licenced if venturing into the US. Has this ever been enforced?

Likewise, I've never heard of Americans being cited in Canada for not being licenced.

Worst abuse of marine VHF I've ever heard was when some 3rd-rate security installers were using them for aligning security cameras. 20 minutes of "nope, higher", "a little to the left...STOP!", etc... on channel 68.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 07:17   #21

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

So,

20 posts in, and only one mention of the idea that one "might be checked" in Europe....

The OP asked the right question, has anyone ever been cited... And so far the answer is no

Funny how in earlier threads, the "experts" jump all over folks and demand compliance, with dire threats if you should abroad without one (i think the last thread was taking about going to the Bahamas)...

People seem to want to enforce compliance on the behalf of others.. What gives with this?

Bottom paint, overboard discharge, radio licenses, what is the interest in the (sometimes passionate) desire to see others follow rules that do not affect others?

s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 08:28   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Bottom paint, overboard discharge, radio licenses, what is the interest in the (sometimes passionate) desire to see others follow rules that do not affect others?
Because it's the responsible thing to do? Because we don't want bad apples tarnishing the reputation of all sailors?
Old 27-05-2013, 08:36   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Because it's the responsible thing to do? Because we don't want bad apples tarnishing the reputation of all sailors?
sometimes, sure. But what about those issues that do not have any affect of others?

If you go to the Bahamas without paying your fee to the FCC to use your VHF, that harms me how?
Old 27-05-2013, 08:47   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I cut somewhere in the middle. I want to know what the regulations and rules are, but I think it is up to the individual what he is going to do with those rules. If I see someone relieving themselves off their transom, I just make a mental note not to swim around that boat- no biggie.
As for this regulation- I see it is clearly one that is made up for those that abuse the radio. I do not, therefore I will probably never have a problem with it. Self governance is far better than international rules, IMHO.
BTW, I love the freedom of sailing. I am one of Faith's biggest admirers, from way back in Sail-far forums. What he says makes sea sense to me.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 08:50   #25

Boat: Lagoon 440

We are both licensed as Australian registration requires ie RROTOP Restricted radio operators certificate of Proficiency.

Our MMSI Number has nil to do with our call sign.

Australian call signs are there letters followed by three numbers ie our's is VMR446.

Croatia and Greece have shown no interest in us being licensed and we have had a safety inspection where they were more interested in our axe and our paddles..... go figure!!!

Frank
Old 27-05-2013, 08:53   #26

Quote:
If you go to the Bahamas without paying your fee to the FCC to use your VHF, that harms me how?
There's been recent complaints on this forum about some non-US posters slagging Americans abroad for having an attitude... there's a slim but tenuous connection between someone acting responsibly (and publicly advising others to act responsibly) and how they are perceived.

And, yes this is a public forum, with mostly anonymous posters, and the information you get on the internet is worth exactly what you paid for it.... and yet most of us try to provide accurate and responsible information.
Old 27-05-2013, 09:01   #27

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

Lagoon4us that's a strange call sign as VMR446 is the call sign of Gladstone Queensland VMR ??????
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 09:13   #28

The issue of the impact of our actions on others is nebulous at best here...

I agree with;

Quote:
What is the SSCA Clean Wake?
To leave a clean wake is to show respect for others and for our environment so that those who follow in our wake will be warmly welcomed. It is our most cherished tradition.
I question the applicability here... The OP asks who has been cited, so far no one. How might individual compliance effect others?
Old 27-05-2013, 09:24   #29

Quote:
The OP asks who has been cited, so far no one. How might individual compliance effect others?
There are other reasons for compliance besides the fear of getting a ticket.

Anyway, I think we mostly agree about personal responsibility, so I'll shaddup now.
Old 27-05-2013, 09:30   #30

I had one when I went ot the Caribe and to Mexico. I've never heard of anyone ever being asked. Ditto for HF radio actually.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vhf