Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2013, 05:35   #31

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
I don't mean to derail this thread, but I do have a question... If you carry tobacco with you onboard, how does it work (typically - I know I can check noonsite for specifics) when you clear into countries. I am a pipe smoker and a lot of the tobacco I smoke cannot be found in other places so my plan was to take all I need for our many year circumnav when we leave. But I'm weary of having to pay "duty" on pounds of tobacco every place we go. If you declare it as ship's stores do you typically avoid the taxes?
All places Ive been have some reasonable exemption level for ships stores/personal use. The USA has these limits too...33 boxes I expect is well above them. Also, I expect the USA is one of the very few places which enforces copyright protection laws.

Certainly not an issue in Central America where counterfit goods are common place on the street (sunglasses, Crocs, DVDs...). Just dont bring these back into the USA...the servants of the "corp-tocracy" will nail you.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 05:42   #32

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Anybody know of cases where cruising vessels have encountered problems w other types of counterfit goods?

For example, its pretty common here in the Western Carib for cruisers to buy bootlegged DVD's. Ive even seen a few major movies before they were officially released in the USA.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 06:05   #33
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Have a cigar? Be careful!

Counterfit issues aside...If you are a foreign registered vessel, the best solution is to actually design a bonded store locker.

This has to have a secure locking system that cannot be tampered with, so that Customs can Seal closed.

Then any duty controlled items beyond your stated on board allowances can be sealed instead of removed or charged tax on.

Customs will often at request, come back down to open locker and allow you replenish your allowance
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 06:09   #34

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: Have a cigar? Be careful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbrown View Post
Can't help with the rules, but I found finding the loose tobacco in each country I visited part of the fun, and most had better tobacco that was also far cheaper than here.
Ymmv of course.
You have to check with individual countries... They all have their own rules for import and duty.

We are smokers and have carried up to 10 cartons of cigarettes on the boat when we knew we were heading to isolated areas. We were never asked anywhere in Mexico or Central America about tobacco.

On the flip side, the USA only allows 100 cigars or 200 cigarettes, without declaring the tobacco nd paying duty. So do many other countries

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...gtZE1vbA%3D%3D

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote