Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2023, 12:43   #31

Boat: Morgan 44 CC
Re: East River closures for UN Sessions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Reminds me of "make hay while the Sun shines." If you wait for perfection, you can wait a long time. The UN inconvenience at Roosevelt Island was really no big deal. Could have been in Cape May or even the Chesapeake when Ophelia came through.

Not sure what's making New York tough right now, but Ophelia was gone by Saturday night here on the mid Chesapeake. Sunday was near flat calm and today is 10 knots out of the north. Tomorrow could be closer to 20 out of the north. Great weather for heading south.

I had a friend this spring who wanted to move his boat from the mid Chesapeake back home to the upper end of Long Island Sound and it took him nearly two months to find a weather window that met his desires. He had headed south in the fall, but because of repeated delays he gave up when he got to the Chesapeake.

Last summer we covered 4,000 miles in 4 months, and probably didn't have 3 days of weather delay.

Not being in a hurry can easily turn into not getting where you're trying to go.
Guess I'm a wimp, for sure. Hum..1000 miles per month, 30 miles per day each and every day. You're right. What a blast that sounds like.

Here's the next chance to make hay in the sunshine.. the forecast for Tuesday off Cape May...
Great Egg Inlet to Cape May, NJ out 20 NM, ANZ453
Tue...Ne Winds 25 To 30 Kt. Seas 8 To 11 Ft. Ne Swell 6 To 11 Ft At 7 Seconds. A Chance Of Rain.
derfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2023, 16:35   #32

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Re: East River closures for UN Sessions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfy View Post
Guess I'm a wimp, for sure. Hum..1000 miles per month, 30 miles per day each and every day. You're right. What a blast that sounds like.
It was a blast. An absolute trip of a lifetime. But it did require keeping an eye on the objective. 0ur Mike OReiley counseled me that it wasn't enough time, that we should haul out in Newfoundland and finish it the next year. As we left Newfoundland, I sent him a note telling him that he was right. Lol
For sure, understanding the objective is important. I have seen more than one person who thought about winter in the south, but not make it. But perhaps the objective wasn't really the Bahamas, but pleasant time aboard wherever.
Our objective was to do the Down East Circle, to see the St Lawrence, see beluga whales, to see rugged coastline of the North shore of the Gulf of St Lawrence, to see the stunning beauty of the South shore of Newfoundland, to make the hop over to France, to not leave our boat in a foreign country for the winter, and to be home before the middle of October. That was incompatible with spending days waiting for ideal weather.
I like to move. As a result, I lose sight of the fact that some people consider 2 weeks in Port Washington a positive thing.
Oh, we came down the Jersey shore in conditions very like that. 14 hours from Coney Island to the back side of Cape May, an 8.5 knot average -- what an awesone ride!
We all tend to look at the world through our own distorted lenses, my apologies.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote