Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2015, 16:36   #136

Boat: 55' sloop.
Re: Dont declare firearms in the Bahamas, Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
So, are they unarmed?

If so the crew of the Mia were very civilized in not ordering the crew of the P-44 off their boat at gunpoint.
This seems an inflammatory thing to say. I imagine you are joking, but it isn't obvious, and what you describe is an act of piracy at the very least. I don't understand why you would even joke like that on an open forum.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 16:53   #137

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Imagine what a mess they would be in had they used those undeclared fire arms. Food for thought for those choosing to travel with undeclared arms.
belizesailor is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 17:03   #138

For those, rather bizarrely IMHO, who have been here denigrating both the right and the reason of the Bahamian authorities to confiscate undeclared arms on US flagged vessels, consider these three facts:

1. The Bahamas suffers from among the highest levels of peacetime gun violence and death in the world.

2. Almost all the guns used in crime in the Bahamas are smuggled into the nation from the US, chiefly from the state of Florida. US gun checks would have helped the Bahamas | The Tribune

3. Given aircraft checks, the only realistic way this can happen is by boat.

Ergo:

4. How can anyone be so obtuse as to consider Bahamian enforcement of their own checks on firearms illicitly carried aboard US flagged or originating vessels to be a problem?
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 19-08-2015, 17:19   #139

I was thinking. I heard several comments/jokes about the patrol craft not leaving dock very often. If they checked in on the 11th, maybe the authorities were tipped off about the hardware being on board.

Maybe there was even some kind of an incident, waving a gun around, a threat or even somebody bragging to the wrong person about being armed.

Why else board somebody 6 days after they cleared in?

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 17:22   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTinaBruce View Post
A drug smugglers tries to import pounds of drugs for distribution. So if you had a ounce of weed you are a drug smuggler?
Bad analogy.

A single gun can kill a limitless number of people.
Old 19-08-2015, 17:29   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTinaBruce View Post
A drug smugglers tries to import pounds of drugs for distribution. So if you had a ounce of weed you are a drug smuggler?
If you take that ounce of weed into Japan you're definitely a drug smuggler, in fact, you may as well have brought your gun and shot up a sushi bar, because you're going away for just as long.

Again, just because weed is legal in California, doesn't make it legal everywhere.

Again, its the laws of the host country that must be considered, not domestic laws at home.

FamilyVan is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 17:30   #142
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post

4. How can anyone be so obtuse as to consider Bahamian enforcement of their own checks on firearms illicitly carried aboard US flagged or originating vessels to be a problem?
No doubt, the RBDF already have their hands full without US vessels causing more problems - RBPF News Stories 2015

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 17:33   #143

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Where was Mia's last port of call. Don't be so naive as to think that info is not passed on/forward.
Old 19-08-2015, 17:34   #144

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
... you may as well have brought your gun and shot up a sushi bar, because you're going away for just as long.

And all I said is they were civilized for not using a gun!
Jason Flare is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 17:43   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingJeeper View Post
Thanks Dulcesuenos for the information. As a new squid here.... This type of information helps out tremendously, as I've never traveled abroad before. I've always wondered if guns were necessary while traveling out and abroad ..... or maybe just over in the Red Sea where pirating seems to happen more often. I'd like to think a small revolver would be good to carry in case of wildlife or general protection from whatever.... maybe a rifle if traveling to a country near or known for pirating.

What does everyone carry while out and about ?
Welcome to the forum. I would personally recommend you carry no firearms at all. I sail professionally and globally. I spend most of my time in the third world, and much of it sailing in some of the most highly pirated waters in the world. I carry no firearms and would not allow them to be carried aboard my vessel or vessel I am captaining other than for protection against polar bears as mandated in the likes of Svalbard. They are of almost no realistic use against pirates. The vast majority of craft who will approach you are merely fishermen. If you shoot one of those you will be guilty of murder. If you attempt to use a small arm against a gang of pirates armed with military weapons, you will almost certainly be immediately killed. Most incidents involving bona fide pirates do NOT end up in the deaths of those on the recieving end, and do not end up in firefights (hint: the two facts are closely related).

Show the world your best nature, and it will be shown to you.
Old 19-08-2015, 18:19   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
No doubt, the RBDF already have their hands full without US vessels causing more problems - RBPF News Stories 2015

Ralph
Holy cow, look at the number of firearm incidents.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 18:25   #147

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
For those, rather bizarrely IMHO, who have been here denigrating both the right and the reason of the Bahamian authorities to confiscate undeclared arms on US flagged vessels, consider these three facts:

1. The Bahamas suffers from among the highest levels of peacetime gun violence and death in the world.

2. Almost all the guns used in crime in the Bahamas are smuggled into the nation from the US, chiefly from the state of Florida. US gun checks would have helped the Bahamas | The Tribune

3. Given aircraft checks, the only realistic way this can happen is by boat.

Ergo:

What? Americans don't have a God given right to do whatever they damn well please in any country they choose?

belizesailor is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 18:27   #148

Quote:
Holy cow, look at the number of firearm incidents.
Close to 100 shot to death since the beginning of this year on New Providence (with a population of 240000 or so) ...

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 18:38   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Do travelers checks still exist?
You just made me feel OLD!!! I mean, really, really OLD!

Where has the time gone?
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 18:45   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I think a good concern is if someone flies in, has a handgun. Joins your, You have no idea the guests have it and then your boarded, not only the master of the vessel is held accountable but everyone in this case went to jail.
Well, now! There you have it then! From this point forward, ALL of my friends will get "strip-searched" before boarding my vessel! Fair is fair!

Any marine supply shops currently selling rail-mounted body scanners?
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas