Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2014, 06:48   #1

Boat: Trans Pacific Eagle 40
Documenting for Coastwise Service

I am in the process of changing over the Documentation for my 1987 Pearson 39-2 to be able to Charter it. Has anyone else gone through the process of proving your boat was built in the US when the manufacturer/builder isn't around anymore? I know the boat was built in RI, but the information I received from the Coast Guard is that I need the following:

Evidence of the facts of build may be either a completed, original form CG-1261, or, other original document containing the same information, executed by a person having personal knowledge of the facts of build because that person:

(a) constructed the vessel.
(b) supervised he actual construction of the vessel
(c) is an officer or employee of the company which built the vessel, and, has examined the records of the company concerning the facts of build of the vessel.

Anyone have any insights?
Capt Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 09:31   #2

Re: Documenting for Coastwise Service

Is the boat currently documented? If so, you could reguest a copy of the title chain from the CG. At the very beginning you should find a builders certificate or other documentation that might suffice. It's a bit ironic that the CG might be the holder of the document they are requesting, but I'm sure odder things have happened.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 12:54   #3

Boat: Leopard 40

We had to go through this with our '93 Hunter because we could not find the builder's certificate. We tried every way to find a way around it but you must have the builder's cert to prove it was built in the US to document it commercially. Hunter-Marlow would not provide it since they are not the same company. In this case you have to go through the Jones Act waiver process for vessels unknown/not built in US and pay the $500 fee and the waiting period. Luckily, after digging for months we found our builder's certificate and was able to avoid that process.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 14:36   #4

Boat: Trans Pacific Eagle 40

Ended up paying the $500 for Jones Act Waiver. Will take 2 - 3 months, but isn't too complicated. The requirements to prove that an older boat, whose manufacturer is not in business anymore, was made in the US are impossible to meet unless you have the original build certificate. The CG won't recognize any documents that aren't originals. Pretty frustrating, but like everything in boating, it isn't anything money can't fix.
Capt Gary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, service