Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2008, 19:51   #1

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Documentation Transfer

Well, it looks like I went and did it. I have concluded a deal to buy an Ingrid 38 and the owner is taking our Cal 2-29 as about half of the purchase price.
I am sure that this has been covered extensively, but I can't find a thread on it: What is required to transfer the documentation (title?) from one owner to a new owner on a documented vessel?

If all goes well, we will bring the Ingrid down the coast from Puget Sound to Oregon in the next few weeks as long as we get a decent weather window.
The owner will be sailing with us on the delivery - I am pleased about that for a number of reasons.
We are excited about the new boat!
Any thoughts and suggestions here will be greatly appreciated.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 20:09   #2

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
It's pretty simple, you can do it yourself by following the instructions on the USCG website. We just did one a while ago and had no problems. Here is the link to the CG page. Congrats on the new boat, Ingrids are great.

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, FAQ Page

John
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 20:27   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Youneed the original Document papers and it works to have a USCG bill of sale two copies notarized and signed. Don't mail the bill of sale and the document in the same envelope but at the same time. Don't forget the money! The USCG does require the fee be paid.

As a seller I would insist this is done properly just to let me off the hook as a buyer you need to know you really own it and you don't until the USCG says so.

Last tidbit. The bloody dinghy has cursed me twice. Don't forget the paperwork on the dinghy.

Use John's link above if you need it for PDF copies of the forms and do call the folks in Falling Waters, WV as they are nice and helpful with questions.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 20:47   #4
GreatKetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post

Last tidbit. The bloody dinghy has cursed me twice. Don't forget the paperwork on the dinghy.
But of course the USCG can't help you a bit with the dinghy, that has to be handled through the state registraion offices, just like selling a car.
Old 26-08-2008, 10:47   #5

Thanks John - I went to the website and have all the forms necessary and the information from the site. The owner has all of the documentation papers and I have looked up the documentation information on the database.

Paul - Good information on mailing in two separate envelopes. I probably would not have thought of that. I think that is self explanatory. Notarized might be interesting - will have to find a notary when we are with the owner.
Our Cal is a state registered vessel so that one is an easy one (but probably more expensive) Glad you mentioned the dinghy - I didn't even think of that one.
GreatKetch - good point. OSMB is pretty easy to work with here.

Old 26-08-2008, 18:59   #6

i called last week to 800-799-8362. Spoke to a lady who gave me the fax number 304-271-2415 for me to fax a copy of both sides of the old certificate along with the 2 pages of the new form filled in and a cover sheet i downloaded with a place to put in credit card info. They were very helpful and polite. i was very impressed. i would call the 800 number and let them walk you through it.
jackytdunaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 02:43   #7

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
We mailed our documentation transfer in last April with the payment. They cashed the check and we're still waiting on the transfer. I need to call them when I think of it!
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 12:08   #8

Thanks Jacky - I could not find the number on the website. Was I looking in the wrong place or has it been removed? Thanks for the number , I will call it.

Liberty - I think I would use the number if I were still waiting...

Tags
documentation