Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do You Hoist a Black Ball at Anchor?
Yes - all the time 108 33.64%
Yes - once in a while 50 15.58%
No - no one does it so why bother 140 43.61%
Never heard of this 23 7.17%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2019, 18:11   #46

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: Do you use a Daytime Black ball at Anchor?

If anchor balls were truly required at anchor during daylight in Florida there would be fines assessed.

Word would get around and most boats would hang anchor balls to avoid the fines.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 18:17   #47

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
an all round white light or a ball depending on whether it is day or night
It's not day or night.

COLREGS is more sophisticated than that:

20 (b) The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise

20 (c) The lights prescribed by these Rules shall, if carried, also be exhibited from sunrise to sunset in restricted visibility and may be exhibited in all other circumstances when it is deemed necessary

20 (d) The Rules concerning shapes shall be complied with by day
Old 27-03-2019, 18:22   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
It's not day or night.

COLREGS is more sophisticated than that:

20 (b) The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise

20 (c) The lights prescribed by these Rules shall, if carried, also be exhibited from sunrise to sunset in restricted visibility and may be exhibited in all other circumstances when it is deemed necessary

20 (d) The Rules concerning shapes shall be complied with by day

OK, whether it is day, conditions of limited visibility or night.

Maybe that is why the drafter left it as just the inference that COLREGs stipulates when the "or" applies
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 18:27   #49
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
If anchor balls were truly required at anchor during daylight in Florida there would be fines assessed.

Word would get around and most boats would hang anchor balls to avoid the fines.
They are truly required, but most folks don’t know about it.
If some drunk jetskier run into you and kill herself and her boyfriend, the judge and the jury may think you are ignorant, reckless and guilty because you did not fly the Day Shape as required by the Rules of the Road and you go to jail for 10 years in Florida.
( but you saved $15 and a few minutes of work every time you anchored.
https://www.lalizas.com/product/28-v...-balls):frown:
Old 27-03-2019, 18:41   #50

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
If some drunk jetskier run into you and kill herself and her boyfriend, the judge and the jury may think you are ignorant, reckless and guilty because you did not fly the Day Shape as required by the Rules of the Road and you go to jail for 10 years in Florida.
Is there any case law on this? Given the stats down there, I bet there have been plenty of possible events. Has anyone ever been charged with NOT flying an anchor shape or an underway cone?

I think the law demands it. I just don’t think it makes much sense. Whereas using proper lighting in times of low visibility certainly does make sense.
Old 27-03-2019, 18:44   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Do you not see that it is wrong to fly an anchor ball while underway ?
Flying a radar reflector that LOOKS like an anchor ball while underway is, to me, a far stupider thing to do than not flying the ball when anchored. Talk about liability...

"He indicated he was anchored, then he moved right in front of me!"

Ya can't fix stupid.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 18:47   #52

Quote:
If they are truly required why aren’t the water cops fining people in FL.

They love to fine people.

They have fined people for not having an anchor light on a vessel (dinghy) in the water on a painter behind a boat at anchor.
Old 27-03-2019, 18:55   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Is there any case law on this? Given the stats down there, I bet there have been plenty of possible events. Has anyone ever been charged with NOT flying an anchor shape or an underway cone?

I think the law demands it. I just don’t think it makes much sense. Whereas using proper lighting in times of low visibility certainly does make sense.
I am pretty sure that in the US nobody gets "charged" with not having a ball hoisted when anchored. But... if somebody DOES hit you while anchored, the insurance company lawyers are sure going to being it up as a contributing factor to the event, and it will cost you money.

You can of course pick and chose which of the ColRegs you wish to follow and which you chose to ignore because you are smarter than the people who wrote the rules, but be prepared to accept the consequences of those decisions.

It's easy. Why not do it?
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 19:02   #54

Quote:
. I think the law demands it. I just don’t think it makes much sense. Whereas using proper lighting in times of low visibility certainly does make sense.
Required by the Colregs, no ambiguity about it:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_shapes

Quote:
If they are truly required why aren’t the water cops fining people in FL.
Ignorance is accepted and okay in Florida, just like drunk driving if you don’t get caught.
If you end up in an accident however, you better be sober and better have your Day Shape up and visible.
$14, small price to pay, Duh..https://www.amazon.com/Lalizas-Inter...5H4BCJ2Z73EF5A
Old 27-03-2019, 19:08   #55

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
I am pretty sure that in the US nobody gets "charged" with not having a ball hoisted when anchored. But... if somebody DOES hit you while anchored, the insurance company lawyers are sure going to being it up as a contributing factor to the event, and it will cost you money.

You can of course pick and chose which of the ColRegs you wish to follow and which you chose to ignore because you are smarter than the people who wrote the rules, but be prepared to accept the consequences of those decisions.

There are plenty of laws which I don’t agree with, and don’t necessarily follow to the tee. I guess I don’t blindly accept dictates without thinking about them myself. And yes, I accept the consequences of my choices.

But let me ask, since you raise it, are there any examples of insurance companies not paying out, or reducing their payouts, based on someone not flying an anchor or underway shape. Again, there must be tons of possible examples. There’s no lack of complaining about insurance claims gone bad here. I can’t recall any which involved a day shape, but I could easily have missed it.

BTW, I assume you fly an underway cone when required.
Old 27-03-2019, 19:17   #56

Quote:
Flying a radar reflector that LOOKS like an anchor ball while underway is, to me, a far stupider thing to do than not flying the ball when anchored. Talk about liability...

"He indicated he was anchored, then he moved right in front of me!"

Ya can't fix stupid.
Quote:

I’m not arguing that it’s not better to spend the $15.00 and fly the anchor ball, I’m simple stating that the navigation rules do not require it.

But I will ask a Florida fish cop someday what he thinks the words mean in the navigation rules.

I’m genuinely curious why I have never seen an anchor ball on a vessel between 7 and 50 meters.
Old 27-03-2019, 19:37   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
I’m not arguing that it’s not better to spend the $15.00 and fly the anchor ball, I’m simple stating that the navigation rules do not require it.

But I will ask a Florida fish cop someday what he thinks the words mean in the navigation rules.

I’m genuinely curious why I have never seen an anchor ball on a vessel between 7 and 50 meters.

Looks like the rules require it, whether you like it or agree with it, or if a “fish cop” thinks whatever.

Quote:
APPLICATION (From Rule 20)
Rules in this part shall be complied with in all weathers. Rules concerning lights apply from sunset
to sunrise. During such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except lights that cannot be mistaken for and that do not impair the visibility or distinctive character of the lights specified in these Rules, or interfere with the keeping of a proper lookout.
The lights specified in these Rules shall also be exhibited from sunrise to sunset in restricted visibility and may be exhibited in other circumstances when deemed necessary.
The Rules concerning shapes shall be compiled with by day.
Old 27-03-2019, 19:59   #58

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
We have used an anchor ball religiously for some years now. This was stimulated by a friend being anchored in the Brisbane river and being hit by two drunken young men in a go-fast inflatable (the kind that do 50 knots or so) which resulted in their deaths. For some while she was being charged with negligent manslaughter. It was only when neighboring yachts reported that she routinely displayed two anchor lights (this incident was in the wee hours) as she claimed that these charges were dropped.

This was a real eye opener! I don't know what would have happened if that evidence had not been available, but it would not have been pretty... it was very stressful for her even when exonerated. We'd always used anchor lights, but now it seemed prudent to add the day shape. It isn't a big deal to do so... just one more step in the anchoring drill, one that gives you the high ground legally and perhaps morally.

And then a few years later we were T-boned while at anchor in Port Cygnet, Tasmania. The ball didn't protect us from the drunks that hit us, but it avoided any possible legal repercussions from its absence. That incident was settled out of court and without interest of the authorities (local cops and marine authorities were not at all interested in the mandatory report that I made). Before the case was resolved I was very glad that the ball had been flying. It flies above us as I type!

Jim
I never have used one or even seen anyone else hoisting one.
Up until the start of this month neither have I had a traffic cam in either one of our cars, but after getting one of them totaled by a little old lady who turned left right in front of me without signaling, I now have one in BOTH cars (one is of course, new).
I suppose I should be first on my block to hoist an anchor ball as well !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 20:05   #59

Quote:
Looks like the rules require it, whether you like it or agree with it, or if a “fish cop” thinks whatever.
“It looks like the rules require it” isn’t quite the same thing as “The rules require it.”
Old 27-03-2019, 20:06   #60

All four yachts on the forum page header are saying you don't need it
fivecapes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor