Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2018, 13:48   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Islander 28
Re: Do I need to re-Christen my newly purchased boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSaint View Post
If you don't want to piss off Poseidon and every other angry god you'll have a well planned renaming ceremony.
DON'T short cut or cheap out on this!
Don't ask how I know this.
DrivinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 14:00   #17

Boat: LAGOON 440 Catamaran

The Norseman (Vikings) used to have a virgin wee in the bilge, after the name was placed on their long boat, specifically to appease Ran......
JeffBurnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 14:00   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFS Klopas View Post
Displaying a name is only required for USCG documented boats in all states. Undocumented boats don't need one.
I believe it is name and home port for a documented vessel, also the Documentation no. on a permanent ships member? State registered is SC. NY, VT or whatever and the number no name requirement.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 14:01   #19

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Above post is accurate.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 15:51   #20

Boat: Beneteau 361, 36

Why would you not keep it documented? Title work would be cheap since its already documented. If its documented you don't have to mess with state registration every year in most states.
Gripfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 16:51   #21

Yes you do. The majority of states require registration regardless of documentation. You also can't document smaller boats.
Old 25-02-2018, 17:04   #22

Boat: Beneteau 361, 36

Not sure about that. I know that neither Virginia or WV or Delaware or Florida do not require registration for a documented vessel. I suppose some states may.
That's why most documented vessels don't display bow numbers.
Gripfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 17:21   #23

Documented vessels don't display bow numbers because documentation exempts them from the display requirement, but states still may require registration.
Old 25-02-2018, 17:34   #24

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripfast View Post
Not sure about that. I know that neither Virginia or WV or Delaware or Florida do not require registration for a documented vessel. I suppose some states may.
That's why most documented vessels don't display bow numbers.

Yes, Connecticut requires documented boats to be State registered. DEEP patrols marinas looking for unregistered documented boats. $$$ source for State GOV.
Old 26-02-2018, 04:28   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFS Klopas View Post
Hailing port can't be "anything", it must be a US city or town.

If you cut a deal with Norse gods and expect that to cover Poseidon I got bad news: Poseidon is Greek.
Ok...anywhere in the USA you want it to be.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 05:48   #26

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Most States do require registration of Documented vessels these days. They figured out they were missing a revenue opportunity (AKA legal theft).

At least in TX and FL you dont have to display State registration numbers on a Documented vessel, just a sticker to verify registration.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 14:07   #27
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Why would you not keep it documented?"
Maybe because people who refer to documented vessels as "US registered" are almost invariably are foreigners, who have no idea that we never use those two words together. And as foreigners, they can't have a documented vessel.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 14:43   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Why would you not keep it documented?"
Maybe because people who refer to documented vessels as "US registered" are almost invariably are foreigners, who have no idea that we never use those two words together. And as foreigners, they can't have a documented vessel.
They probably can with an LLC in Delaware.
Old 26-02-2018, 14:58   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sorry, Cadence, but that one has been asked and answered many times before.

Simply, "No, they cannot."

A documented vessel can only be owned by a corporate entity (including an LLC) if >51% of the corporate shareholders are US citizens. The formula is actually a little more complex but 51%, a "majority", of the shares must be held by a US citizen.

Among other things, a documented vessel is authorized to carry inbound international mail to the US postal system. And in the process of doing so, you are allowed to wave to any nice man in uniform and say "Inbound mail, come by later" and continue in to port. They nice man with the guns is required to wait until after you've delivered the mail.

There are all sorts of now forgotten frills (and they trim more off the list every few years) for US documented vessels. Frills given to US citizens only. US military personnel and assets are also allowed to come to their aid--and would expressly not be allowed to do so for aliens. It isn't just a tax racket.

Now, anyone can set up a sham corporation. Or, give some trustworthy person the majority ownership of their boat. Maybe you've seen that movie too?(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 06:10   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Sorry, Cadence, but that one has been asked and answered many times before.

Simply, "No, they cannot."

A documented vessel can only be owned by a corporate entity (including an LLC) if >51% of the corporate shareholders are US citizens. The formula is actually a little more complex but 51%, a "majority", of the shares must be held by a US citizen.

Among other things, a documented vessel is authorized to carry inbound international mail to the US postal system. And in the process of doing so, you are allowed to wave to any nice man in uniform and say "Inbound mail, come by later" and continue in to port. They nice man with the guns is required to wait until after you've delivered the mail.

There are all sorts of now forgotten frills (and they trim more off the list every few years) for US documented vessels. Frills given to US citizens only. US military personnel and assets are also allowed to come to their aid--and would expressly not be allowed to do so for aliens. It isn't just a tax racket.

Now, anyone can set up a sham corporation. Or, give some trustworthy person the majority ownership of their boat. Maybe you've seen that movie too?(G)
I feel sure some of the mega yachts documented with a home port in Del. have found a way around the 51% if there is a financial advantage or maybe location? Unfortunately, i'm not in the mega yacht class. The Bahamas seems to be a favorite place to flag them also.

Tags
boat, purchase