Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2014, 23:18   #16

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall
Re: Countries Wihout Extradition/ Dual Citizenship

If you are seriously considering renouncing US citizenship, you need to talk to a tax advisor experienced in renunciation. If you own any assets with built-in and as yet untaxed gains, you will be required to pay all appropriate income tax prior to your renunciation being accepted. For instance, if you own real estate that has appreciated in value, it will be treated as if sold at its current fair market value, and you will have to pay the tax on the gain. Same goes for any other investments. It can be expensive to renounce your citizenship!
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 23:40   #17

Boat: Dehler Varianta 65

laying low, huh...

For that I wouldn´t know, but as an expat "all over", I can tell you to stay away from Brasil (although I believe it has no extradition), but I´ve lived there for a few years... not a place TO LIVE. Vacation, yes.
messias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:30   #18

Boat: Westsail 32

I've been working in Afghanistan for the last 5 years, living in Thailand for over 4, recently bought my boat in the states, my Thai wife and I are selling our beach restaurant to her sister and coming back to the states where I still have a business in place, it really wasn't an easy decision to move back and I don't know if I'll make it there after living outside for this long, I do know this, once I get my boat ready I'm going to take it out and won't be bringing it back, might end up in Thailand with it, Thailand is an interesting place, if you've never been, you can work there, but you'll need to get a work permit, you can work there without one but if your doing something that Thai's are doing and they find out you'll be in trouble. If your on the run, you'll have plenty of company, a lot of outcast's, criminals, and generally people that are no good, flock to Thailand, having said that, Thailand is a cool place but it's third world for sure, Burma (Myanmar)is opening up, and there is going to be money making opportunities there, I've been wanting to go there, have an American friend, also a restaurant owner, his place is not far from ours, he has been there several times, says he's going into business there. I think it's worth checking out. Good Luck
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:37   #19
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Panama has a new program where it has published a list of countries, of which citizens are invited to move to Panama and start a business there.

Here's the deal from one of the lawyers assisting those who want it:

Posted by vanessa on Jun 22, 2012 in Articles & Bulletins |
We are pleased to inform you that through Executive Decree No. 416 of 13 June 2012 the government of Panama has created a subcategory for permanent resident for foreign nationals of 22 countries with which Panama has special friendly relations.
The decree in question allows nationals of the 22 countries listed, to apply for a permanent resident visa in order to exert economic or professional activities of any kind, subject to the limitations and regulations of the legislation, required only to demonstrate the business or professional activity which he/she shall be dedicated to and proof of financial solvency that may include certification from a bank account in Panama with no less than $ 5,000 dollars.
Within this special visa the applicant can include as dependents a spouse, children under 18 years of age, families with disabilities and dependent parents.
Countries whose citizens enjoy the benefit of this special visa are:
-UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND.
-GERMANY.
-REPUBLIC OF ARGENTINA.
-CONFEDERATION OF AUSTRALIA.
-SOUTH KOREA.
-REPUBLIC OF AUSTRIA.
-FEDERATIVE REPUBLIC OF BRAZIL.
-KINGDOM OF BELGIUM.
-CANADA.
-KINGDOM OF SPAIN.
-UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
-SLOVAK REPUBLIC.
-FRENCH REPUBLIC.
-REPUBLIC OF FINLAND.
-KINGDOM OF THE NETHERLANDS.
-REPUBLIC OF IRELAND.
-JAPAN.
-KINGDOM OF NORWAY.
-CZECH REPUBLIC.
-SWISS.
-REPUBLIC OF SINGAPORE.
-ORIENTAL REPUBLIC OF URUGUAY.
-REPUBLIC OF CHILE.
-KINGDOM OF SWEDEN.
In addition to the requirements listed above there are other routine documents requiered, such as photographs, copy of identity document, proof of family relationship, criminal record report, and others.
It is important to emphasize that the exercise of commercial or professional activities shall be subject to current legislation, which may have restrictions, as there are certain professions reserved for nationals, such as the practice of law, and certain activities also reserved to nationals such as retail trade.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:08   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

I must have missed the part when the OP said he was "running" from something, seems some are assuming this.

But I am kind of impressed by how many seem to know about the topic.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:30   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I must have missed the part when the OP said he was "running" from something, seems some are assuming this.
Why would someone not running from something care about countries without extradition as per the thread title?
Caracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:13   #22

There are so many problems with this I don't know where to start:
- The world is becoming smaller. Avoiding extradition is far harder than it was 40yrs ago. Not saying it can't be done but the movie theme of hopping a jet to Rio with a suitcase full of cash is just that the happy ending to a movie.
- Most countries have rules against making citizens of criminals (under charges or convicted)
- Unless you have specific in demand skills, most 1st world countries won't let you in without sizeable income and you won't be allowed to get a job locally. Most 3rd world countries also want you to have a source of income and likely won't let you get a job either but even if you skirt the rules you will be competing against local workers willing to work for a fraction of what you would expect back home.
- If you have significant assets many countries will let you start a business. Of course, getting those assets out of the country will likely be difficult if you are in serious legal trouble. Even if you get the cash in a foreign bank, the authorities may be able to claw it back or at least tie it up for years in legal wrangling. Read up on the swiss bank situation. Because the major (ie: safe) banks are international, they can be leveraged into playing along.
- If you are illegal or desperate, it opens you up to locals taking advantage of you. What will you do if the local police chief closes ties up your assets and demands a kickback for releasing them? What if they simply overcharge you because you are a gringo unfamiliar with the language and method of doing business? This is likely a one shot deal unlike someone who plans to move to a south seas island and start a resort. They can always have a bailout plan to return to the states. If you are fugitive, there is likely no going back without major complications.

If you skip the country on a serious charge, odds are to be successful, you are going to be living there illegally and with a low standard of living. Unless the potential penalties for staying are extremely bad, you may be better off taking the penalty rather than enforcing a different kind of penalty on yourself.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:13   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by messias View Post
laying low, huh...

For that I wouldn´t know, but as an expat "all over", I can tell you to stay away from Brasil (although I believe it has no extradition), but I´ve lived there for a few years... not a place TO LIVE. Vacation, yes.
Hey! I'm brazilian and I resent that!

Only because it's true...
VFerreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:23   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondor View Post
If you're caught in a legal morass, and are trying to avoid extradition, the best bet is to marry a Brazilian woman. Brazil will not extradite or honor US requests to do extradite their citizens (which you would be by marriage).
Don't.

At some point you will get so fed up, that you will rather surrender and spend the rest of your days in prison, as long as you are not in Brasil anymore.

See Ronald Bigs.
VFerreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:35   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
Why would someone not running from something care about countries without extradition as per the thread title?
Who knows?

It might just be a fanciful way of saying "I want to cut ties."

Or, it could be a libation lubricated turn of phrase, "Bar Talk."

It might have a more specific meaning, but many of us are pretty loose in how we use language.

Who knows if he even understands what it means? I kinda presume that if he really meant it he would NOT say it here or elsewhere. Surely not with a written transcript.

Best to not over interpret.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:37   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

But I am kind of impressed by how many seem to know about the topic.
Well, we are almost by definition, a romantic lot. Sailor = dreamer?

Sometimes I think Tristan Jones was the only honest sailor ever. He was a damn liar, and proud of it. Good story teller, just stick them in "Fantasy."
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:43   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Who knows?

It might just be a fanciful way of saying "I want to cut ties."

Or, it could be a libation lubricated turn of phrase, "Bar Talk."

It might have a more specific meaning, but many of us are pretty loose in how we use language.

Who knows if he even understands what it means? I kinda presume that if he really meant it he would NOT say it here or elsewhere. Surely not with a written transcript.

Best to not over interpret.
Reaching a bit there. Extradition is pretty clear cut.

I've seen people post really stupid personal things on line, so the fact that he put it in writing on this site in no way suggests he isn't really in trouble.

Brazil: Another issue with Brazil for U.S. citizens, you need a visa before arriving, the airlines won't let you on the plane without it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:16   #28

If you are going through a divorce/separation with a child involved, changing his or her citizenship without the mothers approval is illegal which could have you end up in jail, and from that point on the FBI will have restrictions on that child's travel until they are 18. I remember an American dad had done this years back and fled to Iceland (the children became Iceland citizens) with his children and became a real legal battle.
Jimmy Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:02   #29

Boat: Hunter 340

If you LOVE gov't intervention and bureaucracy, try a country like Brazil or Mexico.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:16   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

long ago in another living aboard lifetime i had a friend who bragged on being in costa rica as a resident so he didnt have to pay child support. he was incredibly wealthy and was just "trying not to have to pay that b**** anything more. "
seems there are many males who spawn offspring and do not wish to remunerate or share in some manner the living expenses for the living breathing products of their fun and games, at least in part. so..

have yet to find gummingkt intervention in my visiting of mexico. is not bad if you live within their regulations.
i found more intervention by government in usa than i do here...,rodlmao
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote