Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2014, 16:26   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Countries Wihout Extradition/ Dual Citizenship

For personal reasons I am thinking about leaving the U.S and never turning back. Am thinking about Costa Rica. Does anyone have t experience with obtaining/ having dual citizenship, benefits/ drawbacks, etc.

At this point would like to emigrate to a country that has a high quality of life, be able to find work and live out the rest of my years with a minimal of hassles from population or government as well as be able to find suitable work.
Old 31-01-2014, 16:31   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Countries Wihout Extradition/ Dual Citizenship

As an American you can't "work" in Costa Rica. You could own a business but you couldn't actually work a position there. As far as no extradition. You may want to re-word that or not post it on the internet.
Old 31-01-2014, 16:31   #3

Expatriate forums are a much better source of info on this topic. Lots of good info.

As far as answering your question, check out http://www.heritage.org/index/ranking to see countries ranked by economic freedom

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 16:41   #4

Boat: Westsail 32

Should of included warm weather!
Old 31-01-2014, 16:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post

At this point would like to emigrate to a country that has a high quality of life, be able to find work and live out the rest of my years with a minimal of hassles from population or government as well as be able to find suitable work.

This is pretty much EXACTLY the sentiments expressed by many of my hispanic friends.

I don't know of a single 'desirable' country which allows for legal immigration by anyone with an active criminal proceeding against them during the term of their application process unless it's a grant of asylum. And if an illegal immigration is envisioned, then I'd suggest perhaps seeking out an illegal immigrant on these shores and inquiring about their experience and what one is to expect in their new adopted home without proper papers. There are still places that are more concerned with the quality of your work than they are with a piece of paper, but I'm unaware of those which might qualify as "high quality of life" by western standards.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 17:10   #6

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Quote:
For personal reasons I am thinking about leaving the U.S and never turning back. Am thinking about Costa Rica. Does anyone have t experience with obtaining/ having dual citizenship, benefits/ drawbacks, etc.

Many countries welcome people if you are setting up or expanding an existing business. Some offer long term residency or citizenship over time. If you can contribute something to the country then you are fine. Just taking another persons job won't cut it I suspect.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 18:01   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Checkout Belize.

Work may be an issue, unless you can work over the computer.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 18:19   #8
cruiser

Quote:
For personal reasons I am thinking about leaving the U.S and never turning back. ... Does anyone have t experience with obtaining/ having dual citizenship, benefits/ drawbacks, etc.
If you're never going to turn back, citizenship wouldn't matter.

Unless, of course, you want the benefits without the responsibilities. Then I can't help you.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 18:26   #9

Its Ice Land or Mexico you pick
Jimmy Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 18:43   #10

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:

Yes. But not with Costa Rica.

Realistically, it seems as though you're starting from square one. Benefits / drawbacks are shaded by expectations and personal situations. Sorry - but there it is. Okay: you've taken step one and decided to check things out. As a suggestion, start reading here:

Home Page: Expat Exchange - Expats - Moving Overseas - International Living - International Jobs - Expatriate

List of Countries Covered: Expat Exchange Country Networks - Moving Overseas - International Living - International Jobs - Expatriate

Costa Rica: Costa Rica Expat Forum ~ Forum for Expats Living in Costa Rica

By reading through, checking out a few of the forums, you'll begin to get an idea of what concerns arise with the expats. Those will, in turn, answer some of your questions and lead you into thinking harder on the subject and awaken more questions. Many of us have made the decision - some survived it while others packed off back home. Not everyone is geared up mentally to be an expat. But the ones who make it work are well rewarded.

This site: The Scores and How Our 2013 Retirement Index Works ranks Costa Rica as 5th out of the top 22 retirement destinations in the world. Check it out!

Good luck!
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 18:57   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

BTW, I am dual US/Canadian. US Supreme Court ruled US has the right to grant or deny US citizenship, but no jurisdiction on other countries, so US is not a barrier to being a dualie.

Not all countries are so inclined. My Wife had to give up her German citizenship when she took US citizenship.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 19:10   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
For personal reasons I am thinking about leaving the U.S and never turning back. .
Seems to me that if you have made that decision... Renouncing US Citizenship would be more effective and applying for citizenshiw elsewhere
There are more Americans doing that now than ever before. Especially the HNWI
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 19:52   #13

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Seems to me that if you have made that decision... Renouncing US Citizenship would be more effective and applying for citizenshiw elsewhere
Whoa.... Wait. It isn't always necessary or even a good idea to burn bridges, especially before getting safely to the other side.

FIRST acquire that dual citizenship someplace and THEN evaluate the plus/minus of renouncing US citizenship.

My opinion, and for my circumstances, I'll keep paying the IRS as required and retain my US passport, thanks very much.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 20:24   #14

Quote:
Actually the smartest move is to just leave. A formal renunciation makes one subject to the Reed Amendment, which gives DHS the ability to bar reentry. But if you just leave, current State Dept rules allows reentry as long as any owed taxes are paid. I'd give it at least 10 years before engaging a formal renunciation just so you're certain. That affords the expat the most options.

Also, current U.S. State Department rules presume that an individual does not intend to give up citizenship when performing one of the potentially expatriating acts listed in Title 8 Section 253. If asked, an individual can now answer that they did not intend to give up citizenship & that is now sufficient to retain their citizenship. Again, it allows for the option to change your mind, whereas a formal filing of renunciation (and payment of renunciation fee - currently $450 - is irreversable).

Quote:
Yep. There were:

235 renunciants in 2008,
743 in 2009,
1485 in 2010,
1781 in 2011
2042 in 2012
1810 in just the first half of 2013
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 22:47   #15

pirate Re: Countries Wihout Extradition/ Dual Citizenship

If you'd like dual citizenship, and you have any Italian or Polish in your ancestry, then either are actually pretty easy to claim and obtain.

If you're caught in a legal morass, and are trying to avoid extradition, the best bet is to marry a Brazilian woman. Brazil will not extradite or honor US requests to do extradite their citizens (which you would be by marriage).

If you're drawing a monthly income (SS, investments etc...) then Panama and their "Pensionado" program is great. I think Costa Rica is starting a similar program as well. One of the benefits of Panama is their currency is tied to the US $. Note that you can be much younger than what we in the US traditionally think of as a "Pensioner" as long as you can show a guaranteed monthly income

If you are looking for a first-world economy that is growing nicely with low debt per capita, has extremely easy immigration, and also has strong business & investment incentives, then I'd give a tip o' the hat to Chile

If you want to stay under the radar for a while, parts of Asia can be most accommodating. (in theory of course!)

...just a few random/quick thoughts - gl
Sondor is offline   Reply With Quote