Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 23:22   #91

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Countries Wihout Extradition/ Dual Citizenship

Another thing you can consider is working overseas, a couple of sites to look at is yourpoc.com and dangerzonejobs.com, yourpoc cost $29.00 a month and dangerzone is $50.00 for a lifetime membership, they are both good, yourpoc, I think is better, you will have to have a clean background for any of the positions on these sites, and squeaky clean for some, some you'll have to have a secret clearance,some of the outfits will spring for the cost of the SC and some won't but there is a lot of work in bad places, pay can be pretty good, and you can, depending on your r&r package, go see the world, just don't run home, it will give you a chance to really understand, better I think, the good things about the US, and the bad. For me, I'm not sure I can completely go back, at least not full time, will have to see.
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:24   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
The grass is always greener somewhere else and bad attitudes are always that. I have dual French and US citizenship, but I'm no naive flag waver. No matter where you are, there is always going to be something that gets your goat. Even if you're in the far woods by yourself, the G**D*** woodpeckers will be drumming on the roof too early in the morning, the bears just won't ever leave your stash alone, and the squirrels will be constantly gnawing on the insulation. Just sayin'...
X2

I've talked to enough expats who are either back because the grass wasn't greener or worse, they are stuck because they burned bridges and can't go back.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:29   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG56 View Post
CB, Have you ever been out of the country, do you have a passport, if you don't , get one, if you've got some money, get out for a while, go to some of the places you think you might like, don't give up your US citizenship, your US passport is gold, the IRS, all you have to is file, no big deal, there are a lot of things I don't like about the states, but there are a lot of things that I miss too. In a way, I feel more free in Thailand than I do in the US, I've only been back 3 times in 5 years, just for a week or so, but it just seems like it's turning more and more into a police state, maybe it's just me, keep your options open, you can live in SE Asia cheap, but it's not for everybody, we're going back, work on our cabin in Colorado some, get the boat ready for long distance, and get back out.
Lived in Germany for a couple of years, in China 08', its not turning into a police state, always has been one, getting worse by the year, sold away what little rights we had with the "Patriot Act". New Zealand sounds lovely but don't think they would take me as I don't have buckets of money to buy my way in and I am not a doctor, plus a hell of as long way to sail the boat. Peace
Old 04-02-2014, 07:38   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
X2

I've talked to enough expats who are either back because the grass wasn't greener or worse, they are stuck because they burned bridges and can't go back.
For me, it's not about greener pastures, it's about freedom, but I guess it could be considered a very green pasture, freedom, you know, freedom is kind of a new idea when you really get down to it. I'm disappointed and pissed about some of the things that's happened to our country, having said that, I'm an American, I love my country, and I don't like to hear people bad mouth it if they're not an American, if your an American, that's okay, your family, we'll keep the fight between us, we've done an enormous amount of good that is not recognized nearly enough. but we've made a hellofalot of mistakes too. Going to try and come home, for personal reasons, have to get my wife's boy out of Thailand's screwed up educational system bring him to the states for an education there. He's 11 years old so it's not too late. I hope so anyway.
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:41   #95
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
, plus a hell of as long way to sail the boat. Peace
sell it a buy another once you get there, all depends on your motivation
Old 04-02-2014, 08:55   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG56 View Post
For me, it's not about greener pastures, it's about freedom, but I guess it could be considered a very green pasture, freedom, you know, freedom is kind of a new idea when you really get down to it. I'm disappointed and pissed about some of the things that's happened to our country, having said that, I'm an American, I love my country, and I don't like to hear people bad mouth it if they're not an American, if your an American, that's okay, your family, we'll keep the fight between us, we've done an enormous amount of good that is not recognized nearly enough. but we've made a hellofalot of mistakes too. Going to try and come home, for personal reasons, have to get my wife's boy out of Thailand's screwed up educational system bring him to the states for an education there. He's 11 years old so it's not too late. I hope so anyway.
There is good and bad in every country.

Freedom falls under the "greener pastures" idea. You will find other countries are more "free" about some issues and less "free" about others. In the end, the "greener pastures" analogy usually holds true.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:56   #97

Boat: Various

I guess now we've concluded that extradition is not part of the concern. What we don't know is duel citizenship versus single vs. resident non citizen.

As to countries and locations, I'm going to state unequivocally, there is no perfect place. So it becomes finding the best fit for you and that includes researching places but also a lot of self analysis.

For those who become nationalists and claim their country is just the best on the world, I don't share that about any country. At this time I live in the US. It's got good and bad. I'm not going to put it on a pedestal and claim it is better than elsewhere. Today though it's better for us. One reason is that we're very used to it. There's that sense of familiarity.

Now, that said, have we thought that sometime in our life we might move elsewhere? Yes. Many different things cause people to consider that. For us it would be estate/inheritance taxes. While they are designed very clearly as a means of collecting taxes from the more financially well off, I really have a problem with the concept. Everything we have has already had taxes paid on the income that gave it to us. I have never tried to circumvent or complained about income taxes. But here's a scenario.

If someone has $1 million today, then they had income of $1.655 million that they paid taxes of $655,000 initially. Above a threshold the US estate tax rate is 35%. So ultimately that would leave $650,000 out of what started as $1,655,000 and that specific million dollars would have been taxed at a rate of over 60%. There are many countries with no estate taxes. Now it's not as simple as just moving if your investments are still in the US.

But there are cases where those inheriting such as children couldn't keep what they inherited. In South Florida one of the big examples was Joe Robbie built the Miami Dolphins and the stadium. Note that he built the stadium himself, with zero public money. When was the last time that was done? He died. His children inherited it. They had to sell it though in order to pay the estate taxes on inheriting it.

Others move for different lifestyles. I would say that is the most common reason. There are certainly places with a slower less stressful pace. Now many used to the US pace would have difficulty adjusting to things moving slower. When you move you leave those things that bothered you, but you also find you gave up things you took for granted. Some people could adapt anywhere. Some could adapt nowhere. This is true even within a country. I know we couldn't adapt to living in North Dakota and I'm sure it's a fine state. But when it drops below 70 degrees we pull out jackets.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 19:05   #98
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Nice post BandB!

For those who want maximum flexibility to choose alternate residences yet remain independent of a chosen countries national limitations... Study the International Quota Visa Plan.

http://www.imminfo.com/~imminfo/Libr...isa_quota.html

It is the cleanest way to reside in a new country without being tied down by their sometimes restrictive retirement or investor rules for aliens.

For a small legal fee you can be put at the head of the line
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 19:16   #99
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Countries Wihout Extradition/ Dual Citizenship

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I

If someone has $1 million today, then they had income of $1.655 million that they paid taxes of $655,000 initially. Above a threshold the US estate tax rate is 35%. So ultimately that would leave $650,000 out of what started as $1,655,000 and that specific million dollars would have been taxed at a rate of over 60%. There are many countries with no estate taxes. Now it's not as simple as just moving if your investments are still in the US.
You are of course completely and conveniently forgetting about capital gain. The reason there's is inheritance tax , is that a " new" person gets an asset that they never paid for , hence tax.

Equally the original person may only have paid a fraction of the current value etc.

The gov regularly repeatedly " re taxes " money already taxed in all sorts of areas. Nothing new in that.

Dave
Old 04-02-2014, 19:40   #100

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

The point of an inheritance tax is to avoid people that hoard wealth. The government does not want you to take all the wealth out of the economy and keep it for yourself,
but wants you to put it back into the economy. If you don't do it, they will do it for you,
at least some of it once you have multiple millions.
Giving your children multiple millions for accomplishing nothing is not particularly helpful for the economy or the country. They should earn it like everybody else.
Old 04-02-2014, 19:46   #101
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Y'all should Google "The Big Reset" (there's a youtube video too) about what they have planned for people's savings…
(hint: finance the big reset with it)
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 20:37   #102
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
X2

Seems self-fulfilling to me that talking to expats that left would only confirm negative perceptions of where they failed to adjust to a new culture.
Says more about them than the country
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 22:31   #103

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Panama has a new program where it has published a list of countries, of which citizens are invited to move to Panama and start a business there.

Here's the deal from one of the lawyers assisting those who want it:

Posted by vanessa on Jun 22, 2012 in Articles & Bulletins |
We are pleased to inform you that through Executive Decree No. 416 of 13 June 2012 the government of Panama has created a subcategory for permanent resident for foreign nationals of 22 countries with which Panama has special friendly relations.
The decree in question allows nationals of the 22 countries listed, to apply for a permanent resident visa in order to exert economic or professional activities of any kind, subject to the limitations and regulations of the legislation, required only to demonstrate the business or professional activity which he/she shall be dedicated to and proof of financial solvency that may include certification from a bank account in Panama with no less than $ 5,000 dollars.
Within this special visa the applicant can include as dependents a spouse, children under 18 years of age, families with disabilities and dependent parents.
Countries whose citizens enjoy the benefit of this special visa are:
-UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND.
-GERMANY.
-REPUBLIC OF ARGENTINA.
-CONFEDERATION OF AUSTRALIA.
-SOUTH KOREA.
-REPUBLIC OF AUSTRIA.
-FEDERATIVE REPUBLIC OF BRAZIL.
-KINGDOM OF BELGIUM.
-CANADA.
-KINGDOM OF SPAIN.
-UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
-SLOVAK REPUBLIC.
-FRENCH REPUBLIC.
-REPUBLIC OF FINLAND.
-KINGDOM OF THE NETHERLANDS.
-REPUBLIC OF IRELAND.
-JAPAN.
-KINGDOM OF NORWAY.
-CZECH REPUBLIC.
-SWISS.
-REPUBLIC OF SINGAPORE.
-ORIENTAL REPUBLIC OF URUGUAY.
-REPUBLIC OF CHILE.
-KINGDOM OF SWEDEN.
In addition to the requirements listed above there are other routine documents requiered, such as photographs, copy of identity document, proof of family relationship, criminal record report, and others.
It is important to emphasize that the exercise of commercial or professional activities shall be subject to current legislation, which may have restrictions, as there are certain professions reserved for nationals, such as the practice of law, and certain activities also reserved to nationals such as retail trade.

Thinking of going back to work and bringing better Internet to Panama?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:58   #104
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
The point of an inheritance tax is to avoid people that hoard wealth. The government does not want you to take all the wealth out of the economy and keep it for yourself,
but wants you to put it back into the economy. If you don't do it, they will do it for you,
at least some of it once you have multiple millions.
Giving your children multiple millions for accomplishing nothing is not particularly helpful for the economy or the country. They should earn it like everybody else.
+1

Of course over here we dont have inheritance taxes - and I hope they don't bring them in, at least not whilst it affects me .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:04   #105
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Thinking of going back to work and bringing better Internet to Panama?
I should… but I won't
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote