Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2015, 20:30   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: COLREGS and navigations lights

Quote:
Rule 25 - Sailing Vessels Underway and Vessels Under Oars Return to the top of the page

(a) A sailing vessel underway shall exhibit: Sailing Vessel Underway

(i) sidelights;
(ii) a sternlight.

(b) In a sailing vessel of less than 20 meters in length the lights prescribed in Rule 25(a) may be combined in one lantern carried at or near the top of the mast where it can best be seen.Sailing Vessel Underway

(c) A sailing vessel underway may, in addition to the lights prescribed in Rule 25(a), exhibit at or near the top of the mast, where they can best be seen, two all-round lights in a vertical line, the upper being red and the lower green, but these lights shall not be exhibited in conjunction with the combined lantern permitted by Rule 25(b).Sailing Vessel Underway
Rule 25 (c) says nothing about length or spacing except to say that it cannot use the Red over Green at or near the top of the mast along with the masthead tricolor light specified in Rule 25 (b). IMO Rule 25 (c) stands on its own. No length or spacing requirements. Annex I, IMO, was meant for boats towing or pushing, ie: working power driven vessels. Of course I could be wrong. Was wrong once...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 23:12   #47

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Annex 1, part 2, section i, makes no mention of power driven vessels and applies to all vessels...... steaming, stopped, aground, fishing, NUC,sailing etc etc.

Sections a through to h with the exception of f all refer *within each of the sections* to power driven vessels.

Tell me more about hogwash day...is it the start of the annual 'great canadian thaw' or something?
Old 26-05-2015, 23:21   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Did you look at the latest e revisions?
Old 26-05-2015, 23:32   #49

Please go on...

Meanwhile which bit of part 5 of the annex only apply to power driven vessels?

"5. Screens for sidelights
The sidelights shall be fitted with inboard screens painted matt black, and meeting the requirements of Section 9 of this Annex. With a combined lantern, using a single vertical filament and a very narrow division between the green and red sections, external screens need not be fitted."

...and a red and a green light with only a few inches of between them will, from a distance, look like a single purple light.

There is a reason you never see small yachts sailing around sporting a red over green ...
Old 27-05-2015, 00:42   #50

and also.... how do you explain 'j' and 'k' in Annex 1?
"(j) The lower of the two all-round lights prescribed for a fishing vessel when engaged in fishing shall be at a height above the sidelights not less than twice the distance between the two vertical lights.
(k) The forward anchor light, when two are carried, shall not be less than 4.5 metres above the after one. On a vessel of 50 metres or more in length this forward anchor light shall not be less than 6 metres above the hull."

anchor lights? fishing vessels? Nothing there about 'power driven'

Back on topic... Canadian 'Hogwash Day' ... do you run around naked in the snow or something? ... enquiring minds are looking for answers......
Old 27-05-2015, 06:13   #51
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

^^^^ haha interesting that! To be honest I hadn't realised a red over green doesn't comply unless the lights are 1m apart. I guess I need to retread the COLREGS.. I remember picking up a red over green lantern in a French chandler once. It was a beast at around 6" high by 4" diameter, but googling shows no such lights available, except some that can be stacked, but obviously don't comply. True when I look at any bow at night with a combined nav light, the color changes from red to mauve to green so without any separation the red over green would just be mauve. When I was doing some marine training the instructor told us "red and green should never be seen" as a memory technique for collision avoidance. Maybe he should has added purple to the phrase..
Back on topic, they're talking about phasing 'hogwash' out of the dictionary as it's becoming less and less used in common language and new words coming in such as 'lolz, roflmao, brb, etc need the space, but it think it would serve us all well to keep it as part of the common language.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 06:50   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Having just encountered a sailboat with both a toplantern and sidelights I can tell you it is very confusing. Are there 2 boats? just one? and sonce he was motoring with a steaming light, he was showing Green over white with sidelights below (Aha! a trawler!)

No just a bad seaman.

either or guys, not both.

Actually the tricolor toplantern is usually used by sailboats that sail in places where sailboats are not often encountered (so as to be seen from a greater distance)
So sadly true.

There was a very nice Pacific Seacraft 44 out one night in local waters during the Christmas Lighted Boat Parade showing both a tricolor and deck & steaming lights.

He motored slowly by and I hailed him, and explained what was wrong.

He got quite indignant.

Those things oughta be wired so BOTH can ever come on at the same time.

Once the steaming light is lit, the tricolor goes off and the deck lights come on.

How hard can it be?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 06:58   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

El Pinguino, please accept my humble apology for the use of the word Hogwash in debating your post. I realize it is not in the spirit of this forum. And, I now accept that you are correct in the spacing of the lights. So lets all celebrate the demise of the word from the English language.
Old 27-05-2015, 10:26   #54

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
^^^^ haha interesting that! To be honest I hadn't realised a red over green doesn't comply unless the lights are 1m apart. I guess I need to retread the COLREGS.. I remember picking up a red over green lantern in a French chandler once. It was a beast at around 6" high by 4" diameter, but googling shows no such lights available, except some that can be stacked, but obviously don't comply. ...
Aquasignal makes them (or at least they used too).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 10:34   #55

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
So sadly true.

There was a very nice Pacific Seacraft 44 out one night in local waters during the Christmas Lighted Boat Parade showing both a tricolor and deck & steaming lights.

He motored slowly by and I hailed him, and explained what was wrong.

He got quite indignant.

Those things oughta be wired so BOTH can ever come on at the same time.

Once the steaming light is lit, the tricolor goes off and the deck lights come on.

How hard can it be?
Mine are wired with a rotary switch and even a clever little image of the boat etched on the panel. LEDs light up on the boat image correlating to the lights chosen. No way to select an invalid lighting option (like tricolor & steaming).

Would be an easy project.

Ive also been aboard some boats with the steaming light wired to the ignition so it can only come on if the ignition is on. Technically I suppose you could wire a relay to the gear shift so the steaming light only comes on if using the engine(s) for propulsion (as opposed to just charging batteries for example).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 11:49   #56

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Aquasignal makes them (or at least they used too).
Series40 http://glamox.com/gmo-recreational/p...ts-aqua-signal
and
Series34 http://glamox.com/gmo-recreational/p...ts-aqua-signal
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 11:54   #57
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Teddy those are sidelights. We were discussing the red over green combination light.
Old 27-05-2015, 13:16   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
El Pinguino, please accept my humble apology for the use of the word Hogwash in debating your post. I realize it is not in the spirit of this forum. And, I now accept that you are correct in the spacing of the lights. So lets all celebrate the demise of the word from the English language.
No probs.... I was just having a bit of sport.... out here we would say 'get your hand off it'..... ( for usage see 4.25 ish)
Old 27-05-2015, 13:54   #59
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Can't play it but it looks like the castle
Old 27-05-2015, 14:41   #60

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Teddy those are sidelights. We were discussing the red over green combination light.
Scroll down the page and upload the PDF and read through. You'll find it all..

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation