Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2013, 18:38   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts Steel Offshore 44
Checking into Costa Rica-Atlantic Side

Does anybody know if it is possible to check into Costa Rica anywhere on the Atlantic side, other than Limon?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
mkjhartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 09:34   #2

Boat: C&C MarkII, 24 ft.
Re: Checking into Costa Rica-Atlantic Side

Hello Mike...Matt again. No, the only port of entry on the Atlantic side of CR is Limon, and my experience there has been one of graft, theft, and corruption. Many items were stolen out of my boat when I did a roll on roll off from Cape Canaveral, and the items were stolen by the customs officials in Limon. They work fast and won't let you get your boat until they have privately gone through it. They cut the locks and pilfered what they wanted prior to me being able to get it out of customs. They are supposed to wait for you to be there for the inspection, but they are crooks. Many people bypass CR on that side and just go straight to Panama for this reason. As far as checking in from sea it would be different, but would require passports, documentation, and most likely a crew of some type to be able to remain on the boat while the captain did the required paperwork. LOT of theft in this area... And they plan to keep it this way.
CalienteinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 09:51   #3

Boat: Bruce Roberts Steel Offshore 44

Thanks for the heads up Matt. Looks like I will be heading back to the US in the next 8-10 weeks, so I will just take my boat from the Bocas up to Florida. I will have to check into Limon to load a bunch of things that I am taking back onto the boat, but will make sure that crew remains on board at all times.

Along those lines, interested in sailing my boat from the Bocas to Florida around the end, or early next year?
mkjhartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 10:27   #4

Boat: C&C MarkII, 24 ft.

Generous offer! Yes, I think I would be interested in that trip. We might be taking it on the head though with the winds usually N. I think I read that the best route N would be via Providencia. Where in FL are you headed? I was also curious about what sailboat you have... Are you headed back because you need to, or just tired of Bocas? to talk more, just email me directly at calienteincostarica@gmail.com Probably have a ton of questions best to talk there. Things are a little tight for me at present, so it kind of depends on what I can get done here. Starting a pressure washing business right now here in Costa... But I really want to get offshore again soon! Got the itch....
CalienteinCR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Costa Rica