Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 12:01   #1

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
changing destination underway

I filled out a form with customs at st lucia and stated I was going to st vincent, but in the end I went to martinique instead because of better wind.

When I got back to st lucia, they asked about my visit to st vincent knowing I hadn't gone there, but asking just to attempt to incriminate me somehow.

Then they told me what I had done was not allowed. I explained that I can change my destination anytime I want to, and that I can put any country on the form then go anywhere else. The immigration girl said she was going to give me an overtime fine even though I was in normal working hours. She told me if I didn't pay, they were going to search my boat for money. She also insulted me in various other ways. The harbor office where it is possible to pay overtime fees is _always_ closed and the guy apparently only shows up a few times a week for just a few minutes, I haven't managed to find him yet.

Who is illegal here? Considering I was robbed by the customs twice already (see http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...at-166488.html) I don't really trust that they follow the laws or know what they are talking about.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:05   #2

Re: changing destination underway

I was never called out on it. Surprised you were. All you need is an exit stamp I thought? The sea dictates where you end up.
I usually just act stupid and "sorry", never argue, and never offer anything not asked.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:14   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

I have a strong feeling this is a personality problem more than a rules problem.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:30   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

What's that song?
I fought the Law, and the Law won?
Being very nice, respectful and apologetic I have found goes a long way, arguing with them, not so much. I've often had officials be officious with me when checking into a country with an aircraft, and have almost always very shortly had them being nice and explaining my error.
I twice landed in airports that were not on my flight plan and not ports of entry due to weather, and didn't go to jail (knock on wood) and this was in a Crop Duster in Columbia and I think Costa Rica where those aircraft are sort of know to haul illegal substances.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 13:23   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

You are allowed to change your destination. The one in your declaration on exit is only your intended one. I am not sure however why this should matter.

What you are talking about is not a formal thing, it is an interpersonal thing, or, at worst, an interracial one.

We changed destination many times we never had any problem checking in or out because of that.

Some West Indies authorities are like this, others are like that, swallo this and play accordingly. Just tell them you had an engine problem and had to stop for repairs and then the wind changed and you ran out of drinking water .... ;-) And always smile!

It is irrelevant who is RIGHT because you are on THEIR island and they can do to you and your boat what they please.

Just tell the officials what they want to hear, pretend you are completely unaware of any (existing or non-existing) regulations that can be called up. Then smile!

Learning how to thread the fine line is one of the essential cruising skills, I think. Either you learn it or you perish.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 13:26   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I have a strong feeling this is a personality problem more than a rules problem.
+1
I read his other thread too
Old 02-06-2016, 14:28   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I was never called out on it. Surprised you were. All you need is an exit stamp I thought? The sea dictates where you end up.
I usually just act stupid and "sorry", never argue, and never offer anything not asked.
I'm not.

Read a few of his other posts about run-ins with authorities around the world.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 14:42   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Personalities aside..... you don't have to make up any BS excuses to change your destination, once in International waters..
That is you legal right to change your mind!

If reported accurately, sounds like a scam, which is best to laugh at and remind them of your rights.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 15:09   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

We all know that changing destinations is allowed. We all know that you reported previously t hat the authorities in St. Lucia had treated you in a questionable manner and confiscated what you believed to be your property.

What I find hard to understand is why you went back, and why you are surprised and outraged when you are again treated poorly, whether legitimately or not?

Jim
Old 02-06-2016, 16:17   #10

I am not surprised. I am only asking if it's legal or not because I was pretty sure it was ok, but some people think it was illegal somehow, or only legal if you inform them via radio.

I went back because it's mango season.
Old 02-06-2016, 16:34   #11

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

We've changed destinations several times for weather or just a wild hair. No problems.

I'm thinking you've made an impression and are being told to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 19:33   #12

I think what it comes down to is they have to work every day at a terrible job and they see that I didn't need to bother with any of that and never did. They probably are broke even with a job. I never did anything bad to any of them, but they have committed crimes against me.

Many local people hate the officials more than I do because I am hearing talk on the street about putting bullets into them. Just a few years ago, the police here murdered 12 innocent people then planted evidence to try to cover it.

Tags
destination