Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2018, 09:52   #16

Re: Cannabis and International Travel

Canadabis, strongly recommend leaving home without it.

Just as it is inadvisable to drink and navigate, please don't toke and navigate.

Truly isn't sailing recreational enough, Eh?

But if you do carry aboard be sure to fly your country's extraordinarily sized new flag of registration / documentation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31j+N5NNa2L._SX425_.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	179114  
Old 17-10-2018, 09:54   #17

Boat: 1987 Ericson 38-200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
This is true,USCG goes by Federal law not by any state. Until something is done to decriminalize it by federal standards the Coast Guard will abide by federal law where it is illegal in a zero-tolerance amount because of the drug smuggling trade. and I also have heard horror stories where a guy had a half million dollar boat, took a few buddies out fishing and they got caught with a half a joint and the man lost his boat! now if you were in a $500 boat they might not waste their time. But it's all about the money so if they see something nice they can seize and flip it for profit they definitely will do it
Land of the fee, home of the slave, ehh?
Old 17-10-2018, 10:15   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

The OP was not about taking pot across the border. It is about the US customs agents not allowing people who have ever used pot to cross the border.
Quote:
"previous use of cannabis, or any substance prohibited by U.S. federal laws, could mean that you are denied entry to the U.S."
Old 17-10-2018, 10:18   #19

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Puget View Post
Another reason to vote in November and begin to end the incompetent, dishonest administration.
Old 17-10-2018, 10:36   #20

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

To each their own,

But I let everyone on board my vessel know that NO DRUGS WERE ALLOWED. Period. And if I discovered or learned that they had any, they would be put ashore and they could smoke dope on the sand, or whatever, and find a way back to the U.S.A. on their own .

locally, same rule.

Losing a boat or going to prison because of the need to smoke a joint is just flat stupid !

Or putting drug free others on board, due to someones dependency for drugs (family, friends, crew, or skipper, or boat owner,) with the possibly of being arrested, or not let back into the U.S.A., or boat confiscated , or tossed in some foreign prison, is whiskey delta B.S.

When delivering a race boat back up from Cabo, Mexico, to Los Angeles Harbor, we needed to stop in Turtle Bay, Baha, Mexico for fuel and water and some re-provisioning. Plus a break after four days of passage making .

We were boarded by four uniformed, squared away mexican military with assault weapons and they tore the boat apart looking for drugs or weapons. There were none . And Turtle Bay is a sleepy little fishing village a few hundred miles up the west coast of baha. incidently, they were polite, and courteous, and we got along with our high school spanish, and living in southern california for tons of years.

Next stop was San Diego to clear in , stayed overnight and then on up to Los Angeles. No problemo .

For Erica and I, speaking only for us, our lives have evolved around fitness, staying healthy, and positive, having sailing and motor vessel adventures world wide, and flying professionally including 17 yrs as an I.P, flying 5 and 6 G dogfights. We do not need pot to have a good time.

We do not need, nor want to have drugs in our lives. We actually live life to the max, without any drugs . Imagine that !! Probably not the norm, but it is the life style that we have chosen and love.

Others, probably do not see life that way.
Old 17-10-2018, 10:50   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellBack89 View Post
So the end of one incompetent and dishonest administration only welcomes in another of the same only with another logo and party name! There are only a handful of countries that have legalized marijuana, no need to bag those who haven't. It's just prudent to not have the stuff in your possession when leaving your home! Just say if you were in a boating accident and the authorities requested a blood or urine sample. If you had smoked or ingested pot in the last week or so the result may be a "positive" test which could lead to jail, boat seizure, or worse! Not worth it! And when crossing the border, the answer to the customs folks is always, "NO"!!
Old 17-10-2018, 11:22   #22

Other than Lihue's story about being boarded, has anyone else every been boardedmfor a drug search going between Canada and the US? Either way?

And deepfrzz is right, it wasn't the orig question. There's plenty of publicity about it this week 'cuz it all started just today. Just about every Canadian newspaper and their websites have answered the "What do I say if I work in the industry?" question at the US border.

All of BC has ONE legal store. In Kamloops. Sheeze.

It was even more interesting to see someone who didn't know the difference between State and Federal laws. Golly...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 17-10-2018, 11:49   #23

Boat: 1987 Ericson 38-200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihuedooley77 View Post

We do not need, nor want to have drugs in our lives. We actually live life to the max, without any drugs . Imagine that !! Probably not the norm, but it is the life style that we have chosen and love.

Others, probably do not see life that way.
I agree with why risk it, however pot isn't a drug anymore than tobacco or alcohol.

It is insane that it is even illegal, as it is an herb with a ton of beneficial properties and few side effects.

You would think the government would care more about opium coming into the country. Oh wait, the US military protected poppy fields in Afghanistan during the "War on Terror?"

https://youtu.be/AuynFhkIXmE
Old 17-10-2018, 12:03   #24

It is also true that even if you have a medical marijuana card from let's say Florida for example but this holds true across the USA, that you have a legal medical marijuana card from Florida or any other state & you are caught in a boat offshore by even a couple feet off the dock in Florida,or any place in the US waters, you are now subject to Federal law where it is illegal still Nationwide.. The boat can be confiscated and you can be arrested. Because now you have just crossed the line into Federal jurisdiction on the water as far as the u.s. Coast Guard is concerned. . The amount doesn't matter because of the zero tolerance Federal law..
Old 17-10-2018, 12:18   #25

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

DON"T INSULT THE U. S. MARINE CORPS!
Old 17-10-2018, 12:39   #26

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewt View Post

Trump suggested that the new name & acronym for NAFTA be U.S.MexicoCanadaAgreement (USMCA). Talk to him about "insults".
Len
Old 17-10-2018, 12:42   #27

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

US border & cannabis as of today Oct 17 / Len

https://globalnews.ca/news/4563167/w...-what-to-know/
Old 17-10-2018, 12:50   #28

USMCA - New song released by the Village People, with back up vocals and dancing by Donald Trump [US], Enrique Peña Nieto [M], Justin Trudeau [CA]; a.k.a NAFTA 2.0, actually the proposed "agreement" is in fact much more like a minor maintenance release than a major versioning release, hence more appropriately numbered NAFTA 1.10.
Old 17-10-2018, 13:33   #29

Boat: MacGregor 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewt View Post
Who is doing that?
Old 17-10-2018, 13:46   #30

So as to be honest and transparent, at the Canadian / US border just tell the US CBP personnel that you did exactly what Bill Clinton did. "I experimented with marijuana a time or two, and I didn't like it. I didn't inhale. And never tried it again." [Nota bene: It really helps if you inhale.]

No guarantee but if that story line was good enough for the Governor to become the POTUS perhaps it should be good enough for entry to the US. Ah, but then a few years later on, I recall Billy also stating adamantly that: "I did not have sexual relations with that woman." and that story was not believed by anyone, except by the few persons stupid enough to "smoke" a joint but not inhale, or perhaps even a majority of the Senators on the Judiciary Committee .

Rumor has it that if large quantities of recreational pot begin to be transported into the USA from Canada, our Donald is going to have an impenetrable wall built along the entire length of the border and have the Canadians pay for it, and / or he will subject Canadian pot to a stiff national security import tariff, under Section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act of 1962, like he has with US imports of steel [25%] and aluminum [10%]. America First! Gotta protect our domestic marijuana growers.

Oh yes so as to not raise unwarranted suspicion with either the US Coast Guard or US CBP, be sure to not name your boat, See Weed, or any derivative of such, there being something like 500+ nicknames for pot.
Closed Thread