Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2009, 17:04   #1
cruiser

Canadian Registry

Canadian boat registry now has to be renewed every few years . What happens if you allow it to expire and then get a K number, or if it is under 15 tons and under 10 HP, and does't require paper work, don't bother with any registry, until you are ready to head offshore? What a happens to any liens on the expired registry?
Is there any limit on a foreign registered boat in Canada, if it was entirely made in Canada?
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 17:46   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
They automatically send you the renewal. I thought when they got rid of the blue book it was the thin edge of the wedge and they would soon charge for renewal but so far so good and this has been going on for about six or seven years now.
Old 15-09-2009, 21:29   #3

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
I left home 10 years ago with a Blue Book. Traveled around the Western Caribbean. I found out 3 months ago by accident on this forum that the Blue Book was extinct, dead and buried. I called the registry office and they emailed me a copy of a new one. I had them send the original to my parents. Same registry number etc.
No one down here in the Western Caribbean knew the Blue Book was invalid. Probably could have wandered around on it a lot longer. Thinking of doing that and keeping the "real" one as backup.
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 09:53   #4

Boat: Newport 30
I just registered a boat that I bought in the US. Just needed previous registration (which was just WA state license), Bill of sale, and proof I paid the taxes. Taxes =
There was 3 different forms to fill out, then about 20 minutes at the Government office and done!
The guy said I would be sent the renewal automatically, and if I had an address change just fax or email the change and a new registration would be mailed to me.
Old 16-09-2009, 10:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdempsey View Post
I just registered a boat that I bought in the US. Just needed previous registration (which was just WA state license), Bill of sale, and proof I paid the taxes. Taxes =
There was 3 different forms to fill out, then about 20 minutes at the Government office and done!
The guy said I would be sent the renewal automatically, and if I had an address change just fax or email the change and a new registration would be mailed to me.

Did you register or license the boat? Normally with registration you're required to have a builders certificate or some type of certificate of origin. When I registered mine there was no requirement for proof of paying the taxes.
Old 16-09-2009, 18:11   #6

I just bought a Dutch built boat in the US, planning on getting the paperwork started as soon as I get the title, bill of sale and letter stating it has been canceled out of the Florida system. I thought this was all I needed to register it in Canada.
Krozet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 06:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozet View Post
I just bought a Dutch built boat in the US, planning on getting the paperwork started as soon as I get the title, bill of sale and letter stating it has been canceled out of the Florida system. I thought this was all I needed to register it in Canada.
The Canadian regulations seem to be changing. I looked at the Transport Canada site and they don't seem to have a pleasure craft registration system any more. Apparently you can license a pleasure craft up to 150 tons now. In any event I think you will need a builders certificate because you'll have to pay duty on a Dutch built boat on top of all the taxes.
Old 17-09-2009, 06:37   #8

Boat: Custom Cutter 38
There are two aspects: registration (name, not number, can travel international waters, can mortgage the boat, pay one fee upfront, get renewals free). Not mandatory for pleasure craft, only do it if you will sail outside Canadian waters.

Vessel Registration Office - Operations and Environmental Programs - Marine Safety - Marine Transportation - Transport Canada

and licensing (number, not name). Mandatory if engine over 9.9 hp, good thing to do anyway, can be done at any Service Canada location, bring proof of purchase. A friendly government employee will have you in and out in about 15 minutes.

Find a Service Canada Centre Near You
sailingmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 06:44   #9

Sailingmonica,

They used to have a separate section for registering pleasure craft as opposed to commercial vessels but now I see that they only have regs for registering commercial vessels although you may still register your pleasure craft under this section.
Old 17-09-2009, 07:55   #10

Boat: Newport 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Did you register or license the boat? Normally with registration you're required to have a builders certificate or some type of certificate of origin. When I registered mine there was no requirement for proof of paying the taxes.
Its registered. I didn't need a builders certificate, but its only 30 ft and not a commercial vessel, so maybe thats why.
They want proof of any taxes now. I had to show the receipt from Border Services.
Old 17-09-2009, 10:13   #11

i Knew this ls where things would get complicated... i thought you had to register or license not both. where would i get a builders certificate, my boat was built in 1971? i have an insurance survey for it.
Krozet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 11:13   #12

Boat: Custom Cutter 38
Krozet,

call Don Powers at (416) 973-8142. Even if its long distance for you, call him. He is the nicest, most efficient, most knowledgeable and so on at Transport Canada. Leave a message and he'll call you back. Ask all questions, he will guide you.
sailingmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 11:29   #13

Boat: EndeavourCat 30
I pity Don now.... all us Canadians will be ringing his phone off the hook.
talus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 11:41   #14

Don's a pretty good guy. He's been registrar of shipping in Toronto for over 20 years. It's a wonder he hasn't retired by now.
Old 17-09-2009, 11:49   #15

Boat: Cascade
licencing vs register

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdempsey View Post
Its registered. I didn't need a builders certificate, but its only 30 ft and not a commercial vessel, so maybe thats why.
They want proof of any taxes now. I had to show the receipt from Border Services.

Mine was from the US as well.
There are two very seperate things.
One is Licencing that only takes a few min and is done at a Service Canada location. You recieve your boat "Licence number" that you can display on the sides.

The second is Registering which is a more complex process with (the name of the boat and gross tonnage etc)

I too needed to pay GST taxes after import. If under 10hp Licencing is not nesessary but a good measure. Also the us Coastgaurd tends to dislike you traveling (to the Gulf Islands) transiting US waters without licencing. Although that has changed alot as well recently.
Solitude is offline   Reply With Quote