Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2008, 17:07   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 36'
Liveaboard Wedding Registry

Hello!

It's been awhile since I lasted posted, but I knew this was the place I could come to with questions such as this:

My fiancé and I are getting married in November and it's time to set up our registry. We're using an online site that lets you pick items for sale anywhere on the internet and consolidate them on one site. It also lets us put a button for people to donate directly to our honeymoon fund (what we would honestly prefer.)

Living on a boat we don't know really need a lot of material possessions (hence the honeymoon fund), but some traditional folks would still like to buy gifts.

What would you recommend as some good gifts for a liveaboard's registry?

Thanks for the help!
Charlotte
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 19:46   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
What would you recommend as some good gifts for a liveaboard's registry?
It's hard for folks that don't have a boat to understand what to buy you unless you pick out the actual item and make sure the numbers are right. Sort of like buy clothing for people you may know but not know sizes or what they like.

Pick things that are similar to land based things normally purchased. It will make them feel more comfortable. You probably need gallery stuff. It's always nice to get something you really want and it makes it sound better if people think this is something you'll take with you all over the planet. It's as much about them as it is about you. You have to out think the game here.

Oh yes, congratualtions! We would like pictures for your gallery. We don't get that many CF weddings. That includes pictures of the boat too
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 20:20   #3

I've been off the board too long as well; been super busy with work, boat, wedding, life, etc. Charlotte took a good picture of me scraping cetol (from the previous owner) off the decks.

The mast is still off, but scheduled to get back on within the next couple of months. New canvas coming as well. Can't wait to post some pictures of her when she's pretty again.

Picasa Web Albums - Red Charlotte - September on ...

rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 22:18   #4

Bless you guys and congrats!!
The Idea of an onboard wedding is so cool I may make my wife marry me again when we get our new boat
Old 06-09-2008, 22:25   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
You must have boatyard expenses. Maybe they could "pay" a gift to the boatyard on your account.

Same with major expenses. Need sails? Maybe you contact the sailmaker and clue them in. Then for example - I could send the sailmaker $50 and he would include me in the list of gift givers.

I'd prefer to do something like this then simply give cash. This way I could be part of the adventure. Maybe get the names of the donors embroidered in the sail cover?

OK just thinking out loud here...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 20:58   #6

Boat: Hans Christian 36'
OOH, I like that idea Ex-Calif, thanks! And the embroidered names is very cool. Ragnar, thanks for the well wishes. I love this boat, I'm so glad we moved aboard.

Paul, I think you're right about putting items that are similar to land-based ones. We got the registry finished last night if anyone's interested in taking a look at what a liveaboard registry looks like. (We're not fishing for gifts, lol). Though if there's anyone in a similar situation, we're happy to share our ideas for what we've found so far.

Thanks for the help guys.
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 19:04   #7

Jess and I suffered the same issues that you are, we ended up listing with REI and then went to fishery's supply mad a list of what we wanted then went to Site Requirements for Honeyfund.com, the free honeymoon registry and put the list up, it lets people pick form the registry of what you want and either go get it or print out a cert and attach a check for the item. It worked out surprisingly with a mixture of cert and actual gifts... jess made out like a bandit seems people like buying recreational stuff more then systems stuff that i put on!!!!

best wishes

-wantokex
Old 03-04-2009, 07:39   #8

Boat: Albin Vega 27 Lealea
We were married by a sea captain friend of ours aboard Falls of Clyde in Honolulu. We told everyone "No gifts" because we didn't want to get loaded down with a bunch of stuff on the boat but here is one we would have liked to receive: LINK
Old 03-04-2009, 08:11   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
I'm a wedding photographer, I have setup a way for family and friends to give $$$ towards photography. This was done with a web page with a donation button through Paypal. It worked well.

Good luck with your wedding!

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 14:47   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
This was done with a web page with a donation button through Paypal.
We are going to do similar. Its crass and tacky, and the old folk wont go for it but the younger mob will.
We will put something necessary and expensive on a webpage and ask for contributions: Like an HF Radio. 'we will be safer at sea and we can't afford it otherwise'.

Direct deposit though, not paypal.

Its not now, nor soon, but its soonish...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 19:13   #11

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
When Doug and I got married we set up a registry through West Marine. Of course since we eloped to Bali we didn't get a ton of gifts like one would via a traditional wedding, but close friends and family were spot on this way with things we needed for the boat. We had been living aboard for about 4 years at that point, and we were heading out to go cruising a few months after we tied the knot. We ended up getting lots of things we needed for cruising like a handheld VHF radio, a dinghy anchor, etc etc.

This was WAY before all the cool online registry / lists etc that you can do now. We joke that if had been smart -- we should have done the same when our son was born. Donate $$ towards sails etc. We need WAY more stuff for the boat than the kid. The baby only needed a car seat, some blankies, a sling, and a baby monitor. The boat is FAR more demanding!

Congratulations!

(Schoonerdog's wife Cindy -- stealing his account. I'll get my own one day)
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard