Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 20:10   #1

Bringing My Boat to the US

I am a UK citizen and I ordered my new boat, my lifetime dream, while living and working in the UK. Before the boat arrived, my company relocated me to Dubai. So I took delivery of the boat there in late 2008. Having spent two happy years sailing in the Gulf, i was further relocated to the US. So we decided to bring the boat with us to the US and had it shipped from Dubai to NY. I plan to sail the boat on the NE coast, at least for the 2011 season, most likely berthing in CT.
I understand that I need to register the boat at a DMV (like a car). Can anyone out there explain what my options are for this?
Regards
gwasyneidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 15:20   #2

Boat: Stephens, MY, 70 ft,Vancouver and 43 ft Hatteras in Florida
registration of boat

If you were going to Florida the state allows 20 days after import to register and pay "user tax", this is separate from US customs fees if any.

should you choose to go the annual cruising permit route as noted below, registration and tax not payable.

after that it will depend if you are going to flag the boat US, and if not a US citizen I don't think you can do that, therefore you would be subject to the prospect of departing to a foreign port annually in order to get a new annual cruising permit from US customs and border protection.

There was a time when successive cruising licenses would be issued to certain foreign flagged vessels but that seems to be a changing situation...

See CBP.Gov for foreign vessel cruising licenses details.
canuck dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 16:00   #3

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
As stated, you cannot flag (USCG document) the vessel in the US if you are not a US citizen. Registering the vessel in a particular US state (not USCG documented) may have future implications if you visit a non-US port. All foreign countries recognize USCG documentation, but may not recognize a US state registration.

If you can live with the 15 days a year out of the US, leaving the boat flagged in a foreign country and obtaining the US CBP cruising permit might be the best option.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 21:33   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Here you go

DMV: Documents Required for Registration of a Boat
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

« Mixed Crew ? | Out »