Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2007, 08:10   #46

Boat: Westerly 33, Dunkers of Tintern
Hellosailor, I'll agree about the wine - very nice Shiraz and so affordable here in UK too. However, haven't tried the kangaroo burgers yet but hope to before too long!
Dunkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 08:21   #47
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dunkers, once you've had "burgers", you can never really say what kind of burgers you've had.<G> Could be another hit TV show in that:

"What's that Burger?!" Guests are invited to sample different burgers and advance to higher prize levels every time they identify the species--and cut of meat--used to make their burgers!

Bonus round for wursts and brats.<G>

What was it Lewis Carroll said in Alice? You must never really eat something after you've been properly introduced to it?<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 08:27   #48

Boat: Westerly 33, Dunkers of Tintern
Just like the cow in the Restaurant at the End of the Universe - Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy who is taught to go to your table and recommend which bits of her are the tastiest for you to choose.

I can think of some brats who should be turned into burgers! I think that my two brats are the wurst around!
Dunkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 13:07   #49

Boat: Stevens 47
It seems that the 10-day upper limit for reporting arrival has been dropped and a slightly more sane approach has been taken for sailboats entering Australia....this is from another board and is a reply on August 3rd 2007 from Australian Customs in regard to a query to clarify the 96 hour reporting requirement.....

"Thank you for your email

The Master of a vessel arriving in Australia is required by law to give notice of impending arrival NOT LATER than 96 hours before arrival.
Customs does realise that not all vessels are fitted with the latest communication equipment. For these vessel this requirement seems to cause confusion as people interpret it as notification must be given 96 hours prior to arrival. This is not the case. This is the minimum requirement. I'll explain this with an example below.

A vessel is travelling from USA to Australia. The time frame is one month. The Master could report his impending arrival to Australia prior to departing USA. This would mean that he gives 1 months notice which meets the above criteria.
Other alternatives is the Master could report his impending arrival from one of the ports he stops at on his way to Australia or prior to his departure from his last port before arriving in Australia. This may even be a week prior to his arrival, as long as the estimated sailing time is a minimum of 96 hours. Again this meets the above criteria for reporting to Customs. 96 hours notice may be given by either; You will need to provide the following information
  • The name of your craft;
  • Your intended first port of arrival;
  • Your estimated arrival time;
  • Your last four ports;
  • The details of people on board including name, date of birth, nationality and passport number;
  • Details of any illness or disease recently encountered;
  • If you have any animals on board;
  • If you have any firearms on board.
Customs does not have access to SSB/HF radio communications. The preferred radio communication is through VHF.

Full details of requirements and contact information can be located on our web site www.customs.gov.au by following these links.Left hand side of Home page click on travellers then on yachts travelling to and departing from australia.
The ports of entry link provide contact details for Customs and the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS) in the port of entry. Plus detail information in relation to the required Boarding Station for arrival.

If by chance the vessel arrives prior to lapsing of the 96 hours of arrival it can wait out the time anywhere it is safe to do so. If due to dangerous seas or their is a medical emergency etc occurs then the vessel is able to progress to a safe haven or the Boarding Station. All that is required is that Customs is informed at the first possible opportunity.
[SIZE=3] The 'Q' flag should be raised upon entry into the port. Customs, Quarantine and Immigration clearance must be completed prior to going ashore.
  • Please stay on board. No persons other than a Quarantine or Customs officer is allowed to board your craft, nor can any person, animal or article leave the craft until you have been given full clearance;
  • Depending on your arrival time, Customs and Quarantine may require all persons to remain on board overnight before clearing you the following day;
  • Don't throw any waste or foodstuffs overboard while you're in Australian waters or while you are moored. Use designated quarantine disposal points;
  • Keep all food and animals secure until your vessel has been inspected by Quarantine officers;
  • Don't trade foodstuffs with other overseas vessels;
  • Keep your vessel free of insects.
To go ashore without prior clearance is an offence. Contact with other vessels in port prior to clearance is also prohibited.

Hopefully this has answered your concerns. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
Name and contact details supplied
Customs Information and Support Centre
"

Also it appears that they use to enforce the 10 day rule, but on 21 March 2007 they released a press statement stating they they will waive the 10 day statutory requirement at: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?c=8709

"We recognise not all yachts have access to communication facilities at sea.

"In these cases, masters can have a third party pass the required information to Customs. This can include friends, the master of another vessel, or marina operators at the port of arrival," Mr Hurrell said.

Yachties can also make a report earlier than the statutory maximum 10 days prior to arrival, recognising that this allows for reports to be made at any port of call on the journey."

So it would seem that Australia can once again be included in your itinerary.....
Old 14-08-2007, 14:03   #50

Those regs are just like these regs, except we don't have to have our bottoms given the once over yet.

CEproof - Marine Division

The way TB is rocketing around the globe, I am of the opinion that all air travel should be suspended and ships only used to transport people and goods. Then there is time to test every passenger and quarantine the sick on islands like Rockall or Xmas Island.

Pericles
Pericles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 15:40   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat
We seem to have rules here just for their own sake though. Aus isn't really that much of a terrorist target is it? Why is it more difficult (and expensive) to enter Aus than for instance, Israel? Surely Israel has more reason to worry about border protection than we do? Even the US has easier regulations than us. And our customs officers could certainly learn a few things about customer relations from the US coast guard.
44'cruisingcat,

I guess you answed ya own Question.If it was as easy as Israel,we would have bombs and suicide bombers at every street corner,just like Israel.And no,Australia isn't really a terrorist target,YET,But the more we start sideing with America and HER political interest's,the closer we will become one.

I don't think that overseas boats are a major threat though.These sort of people are getting through on planes and with the help of a bad imigration dept.Not enough checking from the other side on visas and documentation.Just look at the Dr Hanneef(SP?)story of late.If it wasn't for that then he's mate would not have been found.He had official medical stamps he used on his application to practise in Australia,so suss.

There was an interview some 12mths ago by some radical cleric over in ragg head land where he said"Be aware,for the ones that HEAL you,will be the ones KILLING you."If one can falsifie medical certificates and gain easy entry into Australia,then I would think thier on thier way.Bad people with bad intentions.Then again,no system is perfect.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 19:36   #52

So you actually believe that all this garbage customs puts cruisers through is the reason we haven't had an attack yet? WOW! I have this bridge you might be interested in buying........
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 19:39   #53
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Why is it more difficult (and expensive) to enter Aus than for instance, Israel? " Because tourist dollars have long been big business for Israel, and before Israel had built up the high-tech industries and other native businesses that it has today--tourism was mainstream income for Israel.

Never has been or will be for Oz.

Israel also has land borders, unlike Oz. You can sneak into Oz from the sea, but it is much easier to take any one of a thousand footpaths into Israel from the neighboring states. While it isn't Waziristan, some of the borders are outright hostile terrain that are very easy to hide in and very hard to patrol.

Oz wanted to keep many people out for many years. It had a reputation for being, frankly, racist about immigration. Israel? Rather different, I think it was Golda Meir who said (in response to the immigration policy of allowing "anyone who is a jew" to enter) "Who is a Jew? Anyone who is crazy enough to say they are one." Oz always had a rep for being somewhat pickier.

Oz may have a problem with Islamic extremists in general, but unlike the US, the Jihadis aren't out to get Oz as a "sponsor" of Israel.

Smuggling has been a tradition probably dating back to the first year after "borders" were invented. Borders don't keep anyone out of anywhere, although Berlin and East Germany took a good shot at it. Any Jihadi that can't sneak into the US, Oz, or any other major nation? Deserves the name "raghead". It doesn't take rags for brains to cross a border, even today.
Old 14-08-2007, 20:29   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat
So you actually believe that all this garbage customs puts cruisers through is the reason we haven't had an attack yet? WOW! I have this bridge you might be interested in buying........
44,Try reading my post again!!

The last of the first paragraph and the rest of the others.I never said anything like what you have mentioned in this post.

What I said was we haven't had any terrorist problems,YET,but if we keep alingning to America's overseas policies and interests it wont be long.Nothing about customs and overseas cruisers.

Can ya send me a photo of the bridge?Oh yes,an don't forget,if ya in a dugg out canoe,it isn't valid. .Mudnut.
Old 14-08-2007, 21:34   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
"Why is it more difficult (and expensive) to enter Aus than for instance, Israel? " Because tourist dollars have long been big business for Israel, and before Israel had built up the high-tech industries and other native businesses that it has today--tourism was mainstream income for Israel.

Never has been or will be for Oz.

Israel also has land borders, unlike Oz. You can sneak into Oz from the sea, but it is much easier to take any one of a thousand footpaths into Israel from the neighboring states. While it isn't Waziristan, some of the borders are outright hostile terrain that are very easy to hide in and very hard to patrol.

Oz wanted to keep many people out for many years. It had a reputation for being, frankly, racist about immigration. Israel? Rather different, I think it was Golda Meir who said (in response to the immigration policy of allowing "anyone who is a jew" to enter) "Who is a Jew? Anyone who is crazy enough to say they are one." Oz always had a rep for being somewhat pickier.

Oz may have a problem with Islamic extremists in general, but unlike the US, the Jihadis aren't out to get Oz as a "sponsor" of Israel.

Smuggling has been a tradition probably dating back to the first year after "borders" were invented. Borders don't keep anyone out of anywhere, although Berlin and East Germany took a good shot at it. Any Jihadi that can't sneak into the US, Oz, or any other major nation? Deserves the name "raghead". It doesn't take rags for brains to cross a border, even today.
And thats the truth of it all.Sometimes the more devoted you are ,the more cunning ya get.The worst thing is,even professonal people have an axe to grind.Mudnut.
Old 15-08-2007, 01:50   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Golda Meir was a witty & humourous commentator. One of my favourite Golda quotes:
”Let me tell you something that we Israelis have against Moses. He took us 40 years through the desert in order to bring us to the one spot in the Middle East that has no oil.”

And then, there’s her famous correspondence with Kissinger:
When Golda was the Prime Minister of Israel, she tried to encourage Henry Kissinger to make Israel a top priority.
He sent her a letter: "I would like to inform you that I'm first an American citizen, second Secretary of State and third a Jew."
She responded: "In Israel we read from right to left"

According to Jewish law (Halacha), a child born to a Jewish mother or an adult who has converted to Judaism is considered a Jew.
According to Reform Judaism, a person is a Jew if they were born to either a Jewish mother or a Jewish father. Also, Reform Judaism stresses the importance of being raised Jewish; if a child is born to Jewish parents and was not raised Jewish then the child is not considered Jewish. According to the Orthodox movement, the father’s religion and whether the person practices is immaterial. No affirmation or upbringing is needed, as long as the mother was Jewish.

* Halacha: Jewish religious law, including biblical law (mitzvot), and later talmudic and rabbinic law, as well as customs and traditions.

The Israeli Law of Return was passed in 1950, stating that every Jew has the right to immigrate to Israel, and granting automatic citizenship and benefits to any Jew who makes “aliyah”*. The 1970 amendment to the Law of Return states that only persons born to a Jewish mother or who had converted to Judaism were allowed to immigrate to Israel under the Law of Return.

* Aliyah: immigration to the state of Israel.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 03:16   #57

Gord May,You forgot to mention that after the 2nd ww,that relocating the jewish people from Europe,included stealing land from the Palistinians to accomodate them.America knew full well about the oil and the confrontations that would take place over this decision.If the powers that be where so worried about these people as a race,after what happened in Germany,why diddn't they relocate them in the US,England or back in Europe.I suppose that just would'nt be to thier advantage in overall economic thinking.Golder Mere(SP)was a great leader,but an even greater pawn in world chess.An average bit of inteligence would be able to see that that was a cornerstone in why some people from the east turned to terrorism to fight against capitalist countries like America.You lay in the bed you make.Unfortunately other countries are sleeping with you to thier own demise.Mudnut.
Old 15-08-2007, 03:23   #58
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"that relocating the jewish people from Europe,included stealing land from the Palistinians "
Mudnut, I've heard that line from many people. Funny thing is, the relatives I have who moved to a bare desert in 1922 and had no problem sharing it with their fellow Palestinians, all say it didn't happen that way.

I'm not saying everyone was an angel, but many natives had no title to land that was recognized by the pre-existing British run government. Those who say land was "stolen" were often ashamed to admit to their children that they made the mistake of ABANDONING their land after the Imam of Jerusalem told them to flee and make Jihad.

There are a batch of criminals and malcontents who created so much discord that not even their Arab brethren would take them in. Like the PLO, who tried to throw down the King of Jordan and ensured themselves that Jordan would never take in another refugee from the camps. But folks who actually had land STOLEN? In the 1940s?

Funny thing is, no one seems to be able to cite any sources for any real incidents beyond "Grandpa said....they took his palaces and ...." and Grandpa typically had no legal deed to anything beyond squatters rights to a hut at that point.
Old 15-08-2007, 04:25   #59

Well didn't it all end hundreds of years ago when the English crusaders tryed to save Jerusalem against the followers of Mohamad,and lost,much to the demise of the Jews.The locals won,the Jews were gone.At first they were led to this promised land by Mosse's,whose was it in the first place?What ever happened way back then is a bit of a mystery,what happened in the 50's is not.Anyone who can not see that this was an act to disstablise the middle east is truly blind,given that they are more religeous than your bible belt area in the states.The worst thing is it's not gonna stop over night.I doubt if it ever will.One thing I do know is that whatever happened with your relatives in 1922,isn't the same thing.Actually in the 30's it was the jewish people that kept the low and middle class people in America afloat with the "Ragg trade"Or were they just keeping themselves afloat.Religion and politics have been bed partners but,they do not mix well.Mudnut.PS..Stange,but this really hasn't got anything to do with entering OZ.LOL.Mudnut.
Old 15-08-2007, 04:27   #60

Boat: now floating easy37
i too have a bridge for sale mudnut 8-)
the reason israel has suicide bombers is because its surrounded by countries that hate it, i have read a little of the history of their survival post 1945 and i take my hat off to them
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia