Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2018, 21:17   #31

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Australian Registered Ship

Simi60 how do you get your passport stamped to say you have left Australia? Or do you sneak back in?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 21:48   #32

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Simi60 how do you get your passport stamped to say you have left Australia? Or do you sneak back in?
Cheers
Customs guys came down checked us out and stamped passports
Flew back in.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 22:06   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
It must be a new rule because I have taken a few boats out of Australia never to return that didn't have Australian registration .

It's been like that for quite a few years to my knowledge.

Relevant points from:
https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/...raft/departure

"Prior to departure from Australia, Department of Home Affairs clearance is required."

"Masters of Australian or imported vessels may be required to 'enter' the vessel for export if the craft is to be sold or positioned overseas."

"All Australian craft or vessels, irrespective of size or type whether owned by an Australian citizen or by an Australian company, must be registered before leaving Australia. State registration does not meet this requirement."
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 22:08   #34
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
It must be a new rule because I have taken a few boats out of Australia never to return that didn't have Australian registration .
Did they have any other registration or was it prior to 1981?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 22:12   #35
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

Relevant points from:

"Prior to departure from Australia, Department of Home Affairs clearance is required."

"Masters of Australian or imported vessels may be required to 'enter' the vessel for export if the craft is to be sold or positioned overseas."

"All Australian craft or vessels, irrespective of size or type whether owned by an Australian citizen or by an Australian company, must be registered before leaving Australia. State registration does not meet this requirement."
AFAIK, the requirement for Australian recreational vessels to be registered before departure began in 1981 with the introduction of the current Shipping Registration Act 1981 - but it may have been later.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 22:20   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Customs guys came down checked us out and stamped passports
Flew back in.

And they didn't give you a Certificate of Clearance (currently Form B958) at the same time?

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/forms/documents/b958.pdf

They're required under the Customs Act 1901!

CUSTOMS ACT 1901 - SECT 118 Certificate of Clearance

"CUSTOMS ACT 1901 - SECT 118
Certificate of Clearance
(1) The master of a ship or the pilot of an aircraft must not depart with the ship or aircraft from any port, airport or other place in Australia without receiving from the Collector a Certificate of Clearance in respect of the ship or aircraft."

And how did you get on at the first overseas port without such a Certificate? They're a fairly standard requirement internationally to clear in to a country.
Old 20-03-2018, 22:28   #37

Can't rightly remember as it was over a decade ago but Pacific island nations were pretty casual checkins.
All I can say is boats were definitely not Australian registered, though were state registered and it was known the boats weren't returning.

Looked at that form and probably had one, nothing on it regarding must have Australian registration.
Old 20-03-2018, 23:07   #38

I've sent them an email asking how we did it previously because the internet says it can't be done.
Old 21-03-2018, 00:23   #39

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

Relevant points from:

This is fairly typical of the nonsense we have to put up with because of the illicit taxing activities of these turkeys.

I recently undertook a voyage from Western Australia to the eastern states.

Let us assume that I flew to WA and spent a couple of months preparing the vessel then cruised slowly up the WA coast taking another two months to get to Broome. If I wanted to hire a car and drive legally I would have to transfer my drivers license the WA.

Then I did the Kimberlies and got to Darwin and again, if I had been in the NT for more than 90 days would again have to transfer my drivers license. The boat regos ok as they don't have it in the NT.

Then I get to Queensland, spend a few weeks at Thursday Island and pass slowly down the Cape. Now I have to transfer both the drivers license and boat rego AND get a motor boat license, and on it goes.

In addition every time I change my address I have to submit a change of address form.

And, don't make the mistake of transferring one without the other, they have gadgets which allow them to access the license and registration data base whilst in the field.

The other problem you are going to have is that they have different gas certificate requirements so don't bring your inadequate WA gas certificate into Queensland and expect to slip it by us mate and when you call the gas installer he is almost certain that your just certified WA gas installation is inadequate to Queensland requirements.

I know a person who has been clearing in and out using a ten year expired fishing license from one of the south pacific island nations and no ones ever query'd it.

The place has been becoming a mad house for years and anything is possible and practically everything probable at some time or other.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 20:46   #40

OK
So yes you can take a boat out of Australia without Australian reg.

In our case previously it was because the boats had been sold to new owners in the country we were sailing to.

This time around we will be the owners so we could as an example, put her on the Langkawi ship register before leaving effectively making her foreign flagged.

Or, we could enter the Darwin to wherever yacht race (powered vessels are welcome) and get an exemption. Of course we could strike some dramas at the other end when continuing onwards.

Now I need to figure out what the advantages, disadvantages are of Australian rego if spending all our time in foreign waters and conversely, advantages of Malaysian rego.
Old 21-03-2018, 20:56   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
OK
So yes you can take a boat out of Australia without Australian reg.
That is true. But that is different to taking a boat out of Australia without ANY national registration.
Old 21-03-2018, 21:08   #42

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Now I need to figure out what the advantages, disadvantages are of Australian rego if spending all our time in foreign waters and conversely, advantages of Malaysian rego.
Advantages?

Is not the real question whether you and the other (should there be more than you) owners of the vessel are Australian nationals?

If you are an Australian national, do you have any choice but to register on the Australian shipping register?

If your boat were already in, say Malaysia, then you could possibly ignore the legal requirement for an Australian to register a boat they owned on the Australian shipping register.

But it your boat is in Australia, and the owners of it are Australian nationals, I'm not sure you have a choice.
Old 21-03-2018, 21:14   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Advantages?

Is not the real question whether you and the other (should there be more than you) owners of the vessel are Australian nationals?

If you are an Australian national, do you have any choice but to register on the Australian shipping register

But it your boat is in Australia, and the owners of it are Australian nationals, I'm not sure you have a choice.
Yes we are Australian
Yes, the boat is in Australia
Yes, we have a choice and listed those options above.

This was not conjecture but from amsa's mouth.
Old 21-03-2018, 21:17   #44

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:

If you are an Australian national, do you have any choice but to register on the Australian shipping register?
My reading of the AMSA website is that if your boat is in Australia and the majority of the owners are Australian nationals, you have no choice.

See: https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels-oper...ian-owned-ship
Old 21-03-2018, 21:20   #45

Quote:
My reading of the AMSA website is that if your boat is in Australia and the majority of the owners are Australian nationals, you have no choice.

See: https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels-oper...ian-owned-ship
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Speak to them yourself like I did for a different answer.

Add : Here's the bit about yacht race exemption
https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels-oper...pply-temporary

Tags
Australia