Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 07:28   #1

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Alternate Sound Signal at Anchor

A friend and I have been having a discussion. The Colregs say that if you're under 20 meters (12 meters inland rules) you don't have to have a bell. You are still required to carry some sort of efficient sound device and you are required to make some kind of sound. From Rule 35, "However, if she does not, she shall make some other efficient sound signal at intervals of not more than 2 minutes."

He thinks short, long, short is the sound to make This is described in Rule 35. While logically this makes sense to me, I don't think this is what they intended. This sequence, the rule says, can be used in addition to the bell signal. I believe that they would have put that sequence in the rule concerning no bells rather than saying make some other sound. I haven't found any discussion on what "other" means. Perhaps they were thinking about any sort of percussive sound, but BoatUS claims a whistle is suitable, but then we're back to what kind of a sequence would be appropriate. On another hand, a short, long, short is also "some other sound" as well.

Lucky me, I don't have to worry about it, as this same person bought me a bell as a boat warming present years ago.

John

Rule 35, g/f
A vessel at anchor may in addition sound three blasts in succession, namely one short, one long and one short blast, to give warning of her position and of the possibility of collision to an approaching vessel.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:46   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I'm trying to imagine how big the bell would have to be to be heard by a high-speed ferry. Don't get me wrong, I have a bell and once in a while I actually ring it, just for grins. But I have zero faith in it accomplishing anything in a pinch.

Tags
anchor