Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2018, 11:57   #1

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18
Wooden spreaders paint?epoxy? Trash?

Here’s my wood spreaders...I hate wood I’m gonna have to make up,some aluminum ones but these look like a lot of life left in them. Som I’m gonna refinish them; there was some holes for spreader wires, flag Hayward etc. I’m gonna fill them holes and put some epoxy in there. I figure I’ll over size drill the holes and epoxy, then mount the new lights to that. Does any one recognize what type of wood this is? Supposed to be Sitka spruce but I wouldn’t know..looked like a little bit of cracking I’ve sanded it down took off the paint and I think it’s just surface cracks. Where it attaches to the mast there’s a top plate and bottom plate that slide inside a channel on the mast with 3/8 bolts. You can see the woods a little split there but the brackets are tied into the spreader so I don’t thunk it’s a big deal. I’m gonna put some epoxy on the pieces and glue the chips back in...i hate wood..I’m gonna get some aluminum ones made but I think these look good enough that it can wait. Opinions? I’ve got interlux bright side polyurethane paint. This will do? I was gonna paint with epoxy then paint over that for uV protection but not sure what’s the best route to go for longevity. Here’s a few pics. I guess I’d need custom ones made of aluminum to fit into my existing brackets, unless any one knows a source for this type of thing...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	414.7 KB
ID:	161607  
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy, paint