Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 06:56   #16

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: Where and How to Keep your Tools/Hardware?

I was finally able to minimize my tool collection by simply using a 16oz hammer for SAE and a 400gm hammer for metric.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:22   #17

Boat: C&C Newport 41

first, and i dont think this necessarily applies to you, dont buy cheap tools. saving a few bucks while tool shopping may well have MAJOR consequences when you underway and stripping a nut or break a flat screwdriver head or your needle nose pliers dont actually 'pinch' or rust etc...

that aside... i have a built in tool chest similar to freedom45 which i fabricate out because i could not find a commercial one to fit the space i had available.

i also have an engine canvas tool bag (in the engine room), a cockpit canvas tool bag, a plumbing canvas tool bag and a wood working canvas tool bag that i keep pre packed with the tools i expect to need to resolve whatever problem crops up. mostly i dont want to be running forward each time i realize i need another tool.

lastly, there are tools i have more than one of which kinda drives me crazy but i regularly use the same wrenches for engine and plumbing (thru hulls) work and dont want to be searching for the single wrench in an emergency.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:45   #18

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Then, after you have carefully stored and recorded where all of those specialty tools, fasteners, lubes and sealants are stored, you find that your neighbor has discovered this and no longer has to do the same. He just comes over and borrows your stuff. I'm a marine installer, by trade. Too many tools and parts aboard. I should have been an accountant: a sharp pencil, a calculator and a green eyeshade would have been the perfect tools aboard a multihull.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:55   #19

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
I was finally able to minimize my tool collection by simply using a 16oz hammer for SAE and a 400gm hammer for metric.
And fortunately... Every problem is a nail
Old 04-12-2013, 09:31   #20

Re: Where and how to keep your tools/hardware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
This is a great tool kit for a boat, you can get them at Costco. Or >>> Crescent 170PC Professional Mechanics Tool Set - Tools - Tool Sets - Mechanics Tool Sets.
Got this link from Delmarrey. Bought a set and they are terrific.
Attachment 71484
Metric and imperial.
Yep, I've used lots of schemes over the years; fancy canvas sailors tool bags, drawers in the boat, plastic divide containers. But in the last 5-6 years one of those sets is just easy peasy. Everything aha a place and it stores well. Of course you should still have a grab bag and all those unusual tools somewhere as well as an electical kit. But grabbing that one tool kit and taking to the repair area will get 90% done without rummaging around in lockers and making a bunch of trips etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:50   #21

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34

Thank you all for your contribution, I think we are getting some good ideas here. I have scoured forums and internet for some inspiration and here are some images that I have collected. (They are not mine)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JHH5_106711.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	71502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aluminum Work Bench Covering and High Nickle Chromed 4 inch vice.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	71503  

Name:	Bob's workbench.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	71504   Click image for larger version

Name:	desk-toolbox-finished-1024x768.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	71505  

Name:	Hanging locker converted to work bench.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	71506   Click image for larger version

Name:	hunter_hc50_03.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	71507  

hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:52   #22

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34

Chuck, that looks very neat. Are the tool boxes metal or plastic? Do you happen to know the manufacturer? It looks like you have a perfect fir into that cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom45 View Post

I mounted some tool boxes in a cabinet that used to have DVD player etc, The boxes are designed for a vehicle, so have latches to keep them closed when heeling.
Very convenient, since I seem to need tools a lot.

Chuck
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:13   #23

Boat: Kristen 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd002e View Post
Chuck, that looks very neat. Are the tool boxes metal or plastic? Do you happen to know the manufacturer? It looks like you have a perfect fir into that cabinet
The boxes are metal, heavy duty, designed for work truck. Manufacturer is 'Weather guard'
They are a perfect fit, became a good utilization of space.

Chuck
Old 04-12-2013, 16:42   #24

Boat: Grampian 26

Fabric toolbag,plastic toolbox for spare parts,screws etc.
They will be stored under the V berth as soon as I get the doors cut in the V berth bulkheads.Hate lifting the mattress and struggling with a loose lid.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 17:04   #25

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Fabric toolbag,plastic toolbox for spare parts,screws etc.
They will be stored under the V berth as soon as I get the doors cut in the V berth bulkheads.Hate lifting the mattress and struggling with a loose lid.
Doors make it tolerable but not optimum... still gotta get on you're knees and wear an LED headlamp. That and weight is why I store rarely used, unruly tubing, and wood scraps etc up there...
Old 04-12-2013, 17:21   #26

Boat: Tops'l Schooner
Well after reading the post I feel very lucky to have fully equipped work shop on board a whole room dedicate to parts ,tools and bits of stuff ,it has a work bench and it is where all the boats system meet engine is there too and you can stand up in it and when you need to just be alone you can shut the door dream
Wattsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 17:36   #27

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Some of you guys have great systems. Man I'd like a bigger boat where I could have a workshop! I do carry a LOT of tools.....
Old 04-12-2013, 17:44   #28

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

This place has a bunch of cool storage options that could work for tools etc Deep Blue Marine Tackle Storage containers for boats by Deep Blue Marine from Alltackle.com
Old 04-12-2013, 18:04   #29

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

During the refit this summer, I started several tool rolls. I have separate tool rolls for 'diesel engine', 'dinghy motor', 'rigging', and 'electrical'. Each time I use a tool from my general bags I move it to the specific bag.

Each tool roll has all the tools I need to work on a particular part of the boat. I then tied a string and a carabiner to each tool. In the engine area, the bilge, and on the dinghy, I installed a "hard point" to hook the tool to each time I use it. So far so good, I haven't lost a tool yet.

With that said, I still have a lot of miscellaneous tools, mostly because I have not touched every nut and bolt in the boat so I don't want to get rid of those things. I keep them in Kline tool bags.

Also, I have been getting into the habit of buying the smallest "chemical" size I can reasonably use for the project. I simply had too much and there was no place to store it. So, I use it up and toss it. It is more expensive this way but weighing the possibility of having to store it vs. the cost, the storage cost is higher in my opinion. I have a very limited set of chems for things that require on-going maintenance and for emergencies.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 18:33   #30

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

I'd love to have the space for a cabinet like Chuck's in post #4, but I'd have to remove my fridge.

I keep mine in in large plastic tackle boxes down low under the cabin sole. One for electrical, one for plumbing, one for mechanical. Also plastic bins for spare parts, glues, epoxies, fibreglass repair kit. Since those are a bit of a PITA to access, I have a canvas grab bag under the pilothouse helm which has all the commonly used screwdrivers, allen keys, adjustable wrenches, pliers etc. This handles most everyday tasks. I often have to reduce this bag down to essentials, as the tools tend to migrate there.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardware