Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 17:15   #1

Boat: Tartan 40
Wheel to Tiller Conversion on Luders 33

Some asked me about the conversion from wheel to tiller, after I posted my old pedestal for sale. I couldn't be happier and finally have some pix to post of the project.

In case you want to buy my old pedestal to go in the opposite direction click on this link...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...eel-74428.html

The boat came with wheel steering. Many Luders were built with tillers, but mine was wheel steered out of factory apparently. There's a cool bronze casting below decks with the sheaves that has "Allied Boat Company Luders 33, Edson Corporation" stamped into it.

In any case, the biggest challenge was extending the rudder post to go above deck. There was about 7-8 inches sticking up above cable quadrant of bronze 1.5 inch post. I got a bronze pipe and had it machined with a keyway to slide down over existing keyed rudder post. Then I got 14 inch rudder post extension keyed to slide into the bronze pipe. I had set screws tapped into the pipe in each keyway to tighten the entire assembly for no slop. Bought pipe and rudder post from online metals.
The rudder head fitting was premade from Edson, and I made the deck fitting from plywood, fiberglass, and a bronze graphite impregnated bearing from McMaster Carr for the post to rotate in. Tiller from Ida Sailor. Got a new throttle/shift lever.

I love the tiller. Much more feel, easier downwind in sloppy seas as you can lean into the yaw and keep the boat tracking easily. Can sit on coaming against lifelines and steer upwind with an extension and see telltales, mainsail, etc. Much more room at anchor when I flip it up. I also find I can finally back my boat effectively under power as I can feel it grab as I am backing up so I can finesse just the right rudder angle to get the boat turning. I think many more boats under 35 feet should be tiller steered- just don't see the reason for a wheel and pedestal.... I just need to figure out autopilot now that my old wheel pilot doesn't work. I don't like cockpit ones, and am thinking of saving for below decks autopilot so I can just flip tiller out of the way and have the boat self steer.

I just need to finish making a new grid for cockpit floor to fit around the new tiller post and cover the deck plate that I put where the pedestal hole is.

See attached pictures if you're interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0275.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	356.0 KB
ID:	35842   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0276.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	35843  

Name:	DSC_0279.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	35844   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0282.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	35845  

Name:	DSC_0280.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	35846   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0284.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	35847  

malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 13:08   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Wheel to tiller conversion on Luders 33

Beautiful job, malbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
just don't see the reason for a wheel and pedestal
Just to pretend one owns a BIG ship .

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 08:26   #3

Boat: Targa 96
Re: Wheel to Tiller Conversion on Luders 33

Along the line of too many berths and to little stowage but in a fantasy world it looks like great value.
woff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 09:40   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I've been holding off hauling the boat to do the same thing that you did. Figured I'd have to drop the rudder to machine the stock for a keyway for the sleeve.

Do you have videos of the construction of the deck plate? Constructing that has been puzzling around in my head.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 11:28   #5

Boat: Tartan 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi
I've been holding off hauling the boat to do the same thing that you did. Figured I'd have to drop the rudder to machine the stock for a keyway for the sleeve.

Do you have videos of the construction of the deck plate? Constructing that has been puzzling around in my head.
No videos, but I can describe it. I laminated 2 pieces 1/4 inch marine plywood together for base, and cut a piece of PVC pipe that fit my bearing that the rudder post passes through. Once I had my rudder post extension fitted in place, I slipped the plywood base and PVC pipe into place over rudder post. The plywood had an elongated hole to accomodate the PVC pipe passing through at an angle.

I slipped the PVC with bearing onto rudder post to set it in place and get the correct angle. Then used thickened West epoxy to set the angle between PVC pipe and the plywood base. Once dry, took deck plate home, and used fiberglass mat and West epoxy to cover the plywood and PVC thickly and strongly. Used marine sealant to attach the bearing into the inside of the PVC. Bolted entire assembly to floor. Works great.

I was lucky my existing rudder post already had full length keyway for quadrant, so no dropping rudder.

As will you, I LOVE steering with tiller now. Can even sit on companionway sill under dodger to steer now, which is great in cold or wet weather.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 15:58   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Mahalo for the information on making the deck piece. Gave me some hints to make it easy. I was overengineerng it and stressing out.

Unfortunately, the keyway for the quadrant doesn't run full length. If I can duplicate your pipe might buy a piece that is long enough to come down to the existing keyway. From your post, you slipped the pipe over the 1 1/2" rudder stock and secured it in position with set screws to take out any slop. The keyway takes the load of steering. I was thinking of slotting the adapter piece but was stumped how I could tighten it around the shaft without welding ears to pull the slot closed. I want to pull the rudder in any case. The shaft seal at the hull has always leaked and want to be sure that there is no electrolysis on the Bronze shaft.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 20:09   #7

Boat: CN35 - 1960 35' steel yawl

Lovely job! Tiller is all that's right

Tags
wheel