Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 04:14   #1

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
Watermaker Question

I'm installing a new SW125 filmtec membrane in my watermaker (the old one was removed and discarded four years ago). The membrane has a black rubber gasget on one end but not the other. Being old and forgetfull, I can't remember if the end of the membrane with the rubber gasget is installed at the feed end or the discharge end of the vessel. I've looked on the filmtec or other membrane mfg. websites but can't find any information. If anyone know for certain which end goes where, your help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Bill S/V Mobetah
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:48   #2

Boat: Southern Cross 39 - sv Kristali
Bill...I am pretty sure (its been awhile) that the gasket goes on the output end of the membrane.

Steve
Sailorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:10   #3

Boat: Southern Cross 39 - sv Kristali
Bill.. I googled and found this; it appears that the seal can be placed on either end as long as the flared side the seal faces the raw water input.

Steve

FILMTEC Membranes - Brine Seal Location and Direction Question On which end of the element should the brine seal be placed before loading?
Answer When shipped from the factory, brine seals are located on the feed end of the element, with the flared side facing the direction of the incoming feedwater. Brine seals can be placed on either end of the elements as long as they seal in the feed stream direction with the flared side facing the incoming feedwater.

When loading or installing new elements, here are a few tips:
  • Load the membranes into the feed end of the vessel.
  • The end of the membrane without a brine seal should be placed in the vessel first.
Sailorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:36   #4

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
Thanks steve, that was a big help!

Bill A.
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watermaker