Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 18:15   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Valiant 40 Progress, Part Five - Post Paint

I know it's been a while since I posted a followup on this boat but it's been the "Boat from Hell". The first round of paint hit the boat and didn't flow at all. I laid a second, wetter coat on it and it still stayed there with monster orange peel, dull as hell. We spent the next two days sanding it down smooth for a second round. This time I had a #2 Zahn cup to measure viscosity. I usually spray at 15-17 seconds on the cup.

So, we get more paint and I reduce the paint about 15% and check it. One full minute on the cup? Ok, reduce it somemore, down to 35 seconds now. A bit more..., down to 23 seconds. Hell, that enough cause this is starting to make me nervous. We fire up the pot and I go at it again. Looking pretty good, with the exception of all of these solvent pinholes..., for about 15 minutes. Then it just falls off the boat in curtains. The next day, all of the gloss is gone.

Ok, I saved some paint for touchup so let's deal with the curtains and color sand the rest with 800 and 1200. I get the runs out, most of them because the paint still isn't quite cured after two days and th runs lift to the primer, sweet. After color sanding, the boys buff some out. Jesus that's glossy, looks like plastic, until ya look straight into it, then it looks cloudy. Damn, time for round three. We color sand the whole boat with 1200 (wet) and wipe her down.

With a gravity feed gun, I mix the paint and reduce it a maximum of 20% and start shooting. wow, this stuff is flowing well but why am I only getting a 4" wide spray pattern? POS gun.... So I finish the entire boat with this POS narrow shooting gun. Halfway through, it starts spitting paint on ocassion. Nothing I can do but make a wet pass over the spit to flow it and hope it stays. It did, except a couple of places. Now I'm at the place I should've been two weeks ago with a decent paint job and normal touchup to do.

So today I had the Grandsons at the shop to learn how to varnish. Izzy is actually quite good, better than most adults, Alex needs more practice... Tomorrow is touchup and more varnish. The Valiant launched Wednesday afternoon.

Here are some pics of her in non-touched up or cleaned up state, right after the masking came off.

My reflection in sucky light, yes, that's the rubrail.

Some side shots

The bow looking out the door.

Can ya read this?

Stripe detail (yet to be detailed)

There she be and she'll look much better when we're done.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 18:58   #2

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
You Vile Seducer!

It looks great and what a fine dock shop to work through the winter. You're just suppressing a volcanic grin looking at that mirror finish ain't cha? She sure looks like a good swimmer.
Old 08-05-2010, 19:02   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
I haven't sailed her yet, just drove her over from the slip to paint her. Looking forward to getting some time on her this Summer when the owner is in town. The paint is adequate but not my normal work but I just finished knocking 14 years of rust off. That and relearning all of those hard lessons I had forgotten. The next will be MUCH better, count on it. The old shop is pretty cool though. It gives an old time feel to things.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:39   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Outstanding! The owner from hell will be there Thursday!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 18:33   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hell, I wish ALL owners were as easy going and patient as you. Most of the trouble was me re-learning all of those lessons I forgot over the last 14 years. That and a new product.
Old 10-05-2010, 19:24   #6

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Personally I don't see it going back into charter...Newt you must be a massicus...better put the first scratch in her yourself and get the pain over with if you sill plan on that.

Nice job Charlie.

PS: Newt...you are not allowed to anchor withing 600 Yards form me...you will make me look to scruffy.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:23   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Selected Charter Stillraining, Selected. The Charter Company is under strict commands to reject anyone who does not know his/her way around classic sailboats...
But your right, I think I will cry at the dock with the first charter...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:49   #8
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
There she be and she'll look much better when we're done.
man you are gonna be heartbroken when you get the first scratch on that hull
Old 11-05-2010, 09:29   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Wow...thats a really good looking paint job!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 20:22   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The shop's empty Thursday morning so we're ready for another....