Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 12:55   #16

Re: Ultra-leather, ultra-suede, or leather?

Just a small update for anyone else interested in this...

Spoke with leather distributors and their recommendation is to go with corrected full grain leather and not semi-aniline full grain as semi-aniline might not provide enough protection. However, semi-aniline feels soooo much better against the skin (zeehag is right in that) than corrected or ultraleather and the quality we're looking at is VERY sturdy. We're thinking of spraying additional protection on a sample to see how much better we can get it.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 17:22   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We just received our Ultra samples. The Brisa feels GREAT, and it breaths. We think that's going to be our choice. Expensive, though, at $63 a yard!
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 14:35   #18

Does anyone have any updates on this thread???

I'm also choosing between Ultraleather and Ultrasuede. Have happily used Ultrasuede in the past but might try Ultraleather if it is even easier to keep clean and even more stain resistant (not that I've had any real problems with Ultrasuede). There also seems to be several Ultraleather lines.

Also, with Ultrasuede does anyone have any guidance between Ultrasuede Ambiance HP (the brand normally available in the US and what I've used in the past) and Alcantera which seems to be the norm on boats in Europe but is now also sold in the US - This may have also been called Milano in the US but Milano seems gone.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 14:49   #19

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We just reupholstered in Brisa - another version from Ultra Products. It is breathable and soft. We were choosing between it and Ultraleather and chose Brisa because it had the color we wanted. Personally, I don't think there is much difference between the two and you can just choose on color like we did.

The difference between them and Ultrasuede will depend on which type of fabric feel and look you prefer. We prefer the smooth feel and look. If you prefer the suede feel and look, then that would be the best for you.

I think all of them are excellent with stains, wear, etc. Maybe the UL and Brisa is a bit easier to clean because they are a smoother surface.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 18:35   #20

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

We have had Ultra Leather in our Cabin for 7 years... All of it living aboard and it has held up well.

One suggestion is don't skimp on the foam... Cheap foam will give up long before the material does.

Our cushions were made at the factory and they used cheaper foam. We had upgrade the foam after three years of use.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 17:33   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Tom, I can't agree more. Cheap foam sucks. The bad news is good foam prices are high now and Ultra Leather prices are almost steady. The foam really matters. Good firm foam is really hard to find. We added 2 inches of memory foam to solid firm foam for something that you can sleep on and feels great sitting on. That was 6 years ago and they still feel great. I still love UltraLeather a lot too. The only issue I've found is it can scratch if you really try, but is sure won't stain and cleans easily. We used white too.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 19:14   #22

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_77903 View Post
Ultra leather....wears well, cleans easily, doesn't absorb odors.
We did our previous boat with white leather.
Nice, but sticky in a hot climate.
Wore well.

This boat we reupholstered with Ultraleather.
Feels great, wears well, no issues.
Lots of fakes out there. Get the real deal.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:10   #23
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington

Pblias, did you make your own covers or have them made. I am thinking of redoing mine. the boat is 1997. Would you use the same foam which appears to be in good shape or replace with new.
RDW
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:33   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Ultra Leather isn't cheap stuff so unless you really know how to cut and sew you could spend a LOT of extra money on fabric. Foam quality these days is not so great. It's hard to find the old nice dense foam. We had ours made and used a 6 inches firm foam and 2 inches memory foam with a little bit thicker for the berths. REALLY comfy! It's held up exceptionally well.

You don't need ultra leather for the cushion bottoms so that can be some tough fabric. You just wrap the ultra leather under enough so it covers and does not show the bottom.

The new fabric will last longer than the old fabric by a lot so you'll replace the foam later anyway. It's harder to fit older foam so the new foam won't fit the same if it isn't the same density and it clearly will be new so no where near the same. Odds are the foam you have wasn't that great when it was new. I would come up with foam in layers now that are nice. This stuff is not cheap either. Great fabric over crappy foam isn't a smart move.

The exception to reusing foam is if you have the really nice foam like they use on wrestling mats that is 2 inches and squishy. You can't find that stuff easily and it lasts forever. We had a boat that used it for cockpit cushions but we couldn't find it for the current boat. Sure would have loved to have found some. They even float. The new stuff is like a rock and sucks. For Cockpit we used reticulated foam. It's cheaper to replace. and is OK. Just use mesh bottoms so it drains.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote