Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 11:27   #1

Ultra-leather, ultra-suede, or leather?

Looking for the best material for saloon setties. Best for us is: able to handle some abuse, long life expectancy (does not fray/disintegrate/stretch too much with age), and looking NICE through most of its life expectancy.

We're looking at ultra-leather, ultra-suede, and semi-aniline full grain leather (all about the same price where we are now).

Are your boat setties upholstered in any of the above? Do you like it? Can you get the stains out of it? What about tears and scuff marks? How long have you had it and actively used it? Wish you had something different?

Thanks in advance!
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:01   #2
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: Ultra-leather, ultra-suede, or leather?

skip the leather, go with the ultras.

wears like iron, washes well, and doesn't have issues that real leather has.

More comfortable over all on bare skin.

I like the ultra suedes the best.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 14:12   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day K,

Well, we've had leather on all our saloon cushions for the whole 9 years that we've owned this boat, and it is still in geat shape. Dark green in color, no stain issues. Don't know what kind of production treatment it had, but we put some sort of leather furniture goo on it about every 6 months. We have lived aboard and cruised full time for all those years. Meanwhile, friends with ultra-suede have had to replace theirs... go figger!

So, there's a vote for the real thing... besides, did you ever hear of a cow wearing out?

Cheers,

Jim
Old 06-07-2012, 15:39   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

The Ultra products rock! Real leather can mildew and should it do so you can kiss it good bye! Forget any fabric that has any natural fibers like cotton or wool - always! We redid all ours in Ultra Leather and it is pretty nice (white too). It cleans easily and wears well. It can scratch however.

Do what you will but I suggest NO natural fibers or organic materials. When they mildew there is nothing you can do to fix it! Modern non natural fibers can be cleaned easily. The "Ultra" fabrics are a bit spendy but they wear quite well. 20 years is possible.

The cheap Olefin fabrics do quite welltoo (think cloth car seats). The woven Glenraven Mills fabrics looks fantastic and wear like Sunbrella (same folks think expensive patio furniture) but look great but don't cost as much. They are solution dyed yarns and wear like iron. You can get attractive stuff that works well just avoid stuff you put in the living room of your home.

In upholstery there is also the foam under the fabric. Bad news! It's got VERY expensive over the past 5 years for the good stuff and the better fabrics will outlast the cheap foams. Foam gas tripled in the last 5 years - deal with it. A firm foam with a top memory foam layer makes the best possible boat cushion for sitting or sleeping.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 16:02   #5

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

Ultra leather....wears well, cleans easily, doesn't absorb odors.
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:44   #6

Thanks for your inputs!

So ultra-suede doesn't stretch out with age?
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:23   #7

I prefer ultra suede as the ultra leather feels a bit more sticky against bare skin in hot/humid conditions - at least to me.

There are a bunch of ultra fabric knockoffs but the major brands (e.g. Toray) do not stretch. It is used a lot in automotive applications. Go check the seats of your BMW M5

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:31   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my formosa has regular upholstery interior--cloth--has for over 15 yrs with same cushions and coverings..i live aboard and cruise--works well and no sticking to fabric or static electricity gotten when on slides, or tries to slide across the ultra swedes and fake leathers.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 13:36   #9

Boat: Seaward 22

I have ultra-suede (tan) that is now seven years old and the only thing that has managed to stain it is cetol (dumb owner error). Otherwise it looks as good as the day it was put in.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 13:41   #10

Boat: Bristol 47.7

I have recently developed some stains on the ultra-suede covered settee & chairs in the salon. Those of you who say it cleans up easily, could you let me know what you use?

Thanks,
Dan
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:12   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

A mild detergent should work. If whatever it was that made the stain has solids in it you'll need those to soften up so you can wash it away. I've use 409 spray on the Ultraleather but it pays to start with something mild like Woolite and water first. If you can get under the cover and work from both sides you can flush the stain through to the other side using a cloth on the other side to absorb the water and stain residue. The fabric should not really absorb the stain but it needs to be softened up after what ever it is hardens. If it had grease or oil then the detergent will help it let go.

Depending on the style of upholstery you can remove the cover and wash it. It's why we don't have "button" in the upholstery as all the cushion covers are removable. They really are made that way in the first place but when you add buttons they can't be removed.

The whole "Ultraleather" set of products has many "families" so it's not just one type of fabric. The UltraSuede is the same way too. Many of the knock offs really suck so you need to be sure as many if not most of them are just plastic. The "ultra" label is trademarked.

Ultraleather does breath in the "Bisa" family of products. Ours isn't sticky and really feels like very fine leather. It has been very stain resistant and wears quite well but you can scratch it on the surface. The boat originally was built with UltraSuede on it and we replaced it after almost 15 years of continuous use by liveaboards. It was not stained or torn but showed some wear but was a hideous seafoam green so it does hold up and I should think the newer versions would be much better and clearly have more choices in styles in terms of colors, look, and feel.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:41   #12

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Thank you for that! Mine were installed by the PO but I'm pretty sure they're a high quality ultra-suede. They seemed quite stain-resistant until recently. I'll give your suggestions a try. Funny, I think they may also be "sea-foam green"!

BTW, it looks like my boat is "just down the street" from you, i.e. docked in Mobjack. I'm not from around there but I love the area, and Hayes/Gloucester is often my "big city" resource for supplies (Home Depot/Lowes, etc.).

Dan
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:54   #13

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

I have Ultra Suede on the boat, and Ultra Leather on the dining chairs at home. With a five year old and a 20 month old, they give it a great test! Both are great, but the leather just wipes off, while the suede takes slightly more work. I would have put the ultra leather on the boat but some CF posters suggested it could feel hot and sticky in a warm climate.

There is a photo of the boat cushions in my profile.

I would buy them both again.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:57   #14

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

My leather jacket turned green hanging in the locker on my boat in the tropics. Of course I didn't do anything to it while it was in there.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 20:02   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We are looking as well, and may have settled on Ultraleather's Brisa product. On top of the great Ultraleather product, it breathes.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote