Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 09:07   #1

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Temp Gauge Not Working

My temp guage just stopped working. I have a Volvo Penta MD2040. There is power to the gauge, checked that. Is there a way to test the guage itself without replacing and checking that way? Not sure if it is the sending unit, and do not know where that is on the engine, so if you know can anyone help with that, or the gauge. Thanks
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 18:29   #2

Boat: Spindrift 43 SV Falkor
Re: Temp Gauge Not Working

Most temp senders are ntc sensors, meaning as the temp goes up the resistance goes down. You can check the guage by grounding the sender wire and the guage should peg out at max hot. That will tell you the guage is working. Testing the sensor is harder you need hook up a dvom (ohm meter ) and check the resistance of the sensor to the case with the engine cold, then warm up the engine and check again. You can often get the specs for the sensor by searching the product number that is cast into the sensor, but you are looking for a change in the resistance . As for where the sender is you would need to look for it, you can look here andtry ot find a picture.
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 09:04   #3

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Re: Temp Gauge Not Working

Thank you, I tested the wire from the sensor to th e gauge and found it to be bad. Changed it and all is well. Now that it works I will test the guage and sensor as you suggested to see what it looks like when it works.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote