Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2012, 08:48   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Ta Chiao

blue plastic tarps keep off sunshine --bad for wood, and fresh water--bad for teak wood. teak loves salt water, hates fresh. mine has 3 layers of tarping now for rain, sun, and coolness....works well and no one comes over to bother me....just my repairman. i love it.

formosas need caulk regularly. many owners donot caulk their deck mounted items. when this happens with a boat having essentially wood topsides, you get a need to tarp in temperate zones--leakage happens.
i just yesterday managed to recaulk my main mast collar--the goo was original equipment, hecho en taiwan....the bolts on my stantions are original equipment and lots of corrosion---these are 2 man jobs, and sometimes folks put these jobs off indefinitely.
it rains, therefore it pours--right on the pillow---therefore tarps in yards and on marina docks and at anchor ....... i found my caprail leaks into boat also--so i oiled and no more leakage--i like doing rebedding of topsides in rainy season--faster feedback, and gods made tarps for this work.

so far all my leaks have been straightforward and easy to find and fix with 2 people working. no headiners or other baffles for the leaking spots to hide behind.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 09:04   #32

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

There are a couple of these in Moss Landing, Ca. where I use to keep one of my boats. The owner of one told me that it was teak on ply decks. Not sure if the ply was glassed or not. But I have been told water tends to migrate through the decks, hence the tarps. Beautiful lines on those boats.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 09:10   #33

cs--i am loving mine-- formosas and cts got their nick name leaky teaky from the ply with teak screwed into them. seems no one likes drips over their pillow...chinese water torture, as well as being chinese puzzles, is a lil much ..LOL.....properly done teak decks are great.

the lines are killer--i love the look they have with a bone in their teeth--sooo impressive!!
Old 31-08-2012, 09:35   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
is it a specific one you seek?? mine was built 1976 in formosa boat builders yard. some were ta chiao, and some were other yards.....

as for formosa/ct/etc being in fresh water--BAD IDEA these teak wood fittd boats do rotten things in fresh water-- teak is not a fresh water wood. needs salt water to remain good.
There are two 46's a '78 & '79 that I'm look'n at. I know about the deal with the Kelly & Formosa but today I found out about the Spindrift 46. I have the first two figured out but now I want to know what the deal is about the SD. Three boat yards are involved. I checked the layouts and I think people are passing the SD as Kelly's. The two Formosa's I'm look'n do not have FBB starting the hull numbers so that is making me look into them even harder.
Jaxxiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 09:43   #35

some models were built in hong kong instead of taiwan.. i dont know which these were.
Old 31-08-2012, 09:53   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
some models were built in hong kong instead of taiwan.. i dont know which these were.
That I did not know.
Both hull numbers start with "ETY" i think, i slept between the last time looking at it.
Jaxxiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:53   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
30-40k won't touch the decks if they require doing. biggest problem with these boats, also electrical will be an issue with this age unless recent refit is complete,

Have a mermaid 43,1984, beautiful boat, strong as hell, cheap stainless, laid up in cuba when we found a 1999 CT 56. still there languishing away!!!
Wrong. We did the decks (side and foredeck), housetop and completely rebuilt the rotten coamings for 32K. We also built a new bowsprit and mast step along with paint and varnish for that money. You can still get work done for a reasonable price.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ta chiao