Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 11:47   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Storm Windows

I am getting ready to mount storm windows. My deck is Balsa cored so the idea that I had was to drill a hole in the cabin top. Use an allan key to remove some of the balsa, fill it with epoxy, and finally insert a "threaded insert" Item # 1032A8-12SS, Standardized Type A Molded-In Insert - US Threads on Yardley Products Corp. These are knurled so that they will grasp the epoxy solidly. It is my thought that these will do well b/c they are closed on one side and thus will not allow water into the core. Once the inserts are set I would use some sort of plastic window either polycorbonate or acrylic that is 1/2" to 3/4" thick. I will add a neoprene gasket about 1/4" thick on the inside of the plastic storm window, predrill 3/8" holes in the plastic and then fasten the windows with 1/4 20 pan head screws. The windows that I am covering are 36" wide by 14" tall. I am looking for a critique of my idea. The purpose of the Storm Windows is not to keep water out but to be there in case of big waves etc.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:00   #2

Boat: Cooper 416
Here is how mine turned out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	acrylic 004.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	438.5 KB
ID:	18881   Click image for larger version

Name:	acrylic 002.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	448.6 KB
ID:	18882  

Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:35   #3

hi Redcoat Those look really good. How did you fasten the storm windows. It looks like you have studs sticking out of the cabin top is that correct? Did you source your plastic in San Diego b/c that is where my boat is.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 02-09-2010, 16:26   #4

Hi Charlie.Correct about being bolted through.I have about 1/2 inch of clearence from the dead lights.I used 3/8 solar bronze acrylic a worm drive saw and a belt sander and my makita cordless drill.Pretty high tech huh.Two sheets of 4x4x8 acrylic varies in price I traded for them but San Diego Plastics have them in stock.Took one day to make one day to install ie:drill and mount.Bolts werre already installed when I bought the boat.My topside is cored to but has foam I think yours is foam too.I coated the bolts with sikaflex.
Old 02-09-2010, 16:49   #5

My boat has a balsa core. I've thought about thru bolting them but don't want the bolts showing in the cabin.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 02-09-2010, 17:58   #6

Boat: a sailing boat
Not possible making the original windows strong enough and forget the storm ones?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 18:30   #7

Yes I priced them before I left PNW.They are on low average $750.00ea depending on type of materials.I needed 8.
Old 02-09-2010, 19:34   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
You will only need the storm windows if caught in a major storm. If you cruise the typical roots at the typical times, your chances of getting bad weather are virtually zero. Not to say that it couldn't happen, just very unlikely. There are exceptions like the sail from Polynesia to NZ or Oz but for the most part, you just aren't going to need them.

I wouldn't waste the money on anything that was expensive. Cutting the necessary pieces of 1/2-3/4 inch plywood to the proper shape and carrying self tapping screws and a battery powered screw gun is my solution. If I'd ever need the protection, I'll just whip out the plywood and screws and fasten then in place. Will worry about cleaning up the small holes afterwards.

FWIW, most boats do not have core material in the cabin sides. Think you'll find that you won't need to fill the pukas with epoxy.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 22:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
You will only need the storm windows if caught in a major storm. If you cruise the typical roots at the typical times, your chances of getting bad weather are virtually zero. Not to say that it couldn't happen, just very unlikely. There are exceptions like the sail from Polynesia to NZ or Oz but for the most part, you just aren't going to need them.

I wouldn't waste the money on anything that was expensive. Cutting the necessary pieces of 1/2-3/4 inch plywood to the proper shape and carrying self tapping screws and a battery powered screw gun is my solution. If I'd ever need the protection, I'll just whip out the plywood and screws and fasten then in place. Will worry about cleaning up the small holes afterwards.

FWIW, most boats do not have core material in the cabin sides. Think you'll find that you won't need to fill the pukas with epoxy.
If you study the '79 Fastnet you'll see that most of the boats lost or abandoned had there sides stove in. What is a few hundred bucks to prevent something like that. The port lights are only 1/4" plexiglass now. I have had the port lights out and the cabin top walls are about an inch and a quarter thick so I am pretty sure they are cored. That would be overkill in straight glass.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 04-09-2010, 18:46   #10

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post

True. Seen very many with cored cabin roof but not the sides!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote